Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Fuel
Stock

Fuel is on a distinguished road
Default Need for speed

Basically I want my 87 supra turbo to go vroom vroom zoom zoom. What are a few things that I can do to achieve this? Keep in mind that I am not made of money, I make $400 a month so everything has to be inexpensive. I am not worried about making my car last for a long time, so it doesn't matter to me if the mods are rough on it.

By the way I have the head off right now so I can access everything pretty easily.
Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
TxSpeedBoy
3" Exhaust

TxSpeedBoy is on a distinguished road

Basically, if it doesn't matter how rough the mods are then you are wasting your time. and with 400 a month, there isn't a wide range of options. But if you want your car to vroom, put it in neutral (or push the clutch in), rev up to red line, and drop it, and hold the gas down. That should make you go fast and tear everything up at the same time.

(Warning: Don't actually do this!)
TxSpeedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

to be honest..... save up what spare money you have each month and do the mods properly.. you will only end up costing yourself crazy money in maintenance and repairs rather than doing it properly in the first place

get your hg fixed (properly)

save up for an intake kit
next save up for catback exhaust

when you have those then post back for your next mods

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road

you actually want to spend money on an oldskool jap sportscar and then mod it to death within 200km ? ( distance not velocity. they do 200 easy standard ).
i'm gonna check the forum rules to see what names i can call you ...

take that head you have off to a shop. either pawn it or give them a grand to upgrade it. since the head is off already you may as well get it ready for extra boost and power

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.

Last edited by lethalwithasupra; 01-12-2006 at 09:45 AM.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Fuel
Stock

Well it looks like i am forced to to my mods correctly so you guys win (I Know that you can change the octane of old muscle cars and add lead to the gas to give them a little more horsepower but this will eventually burn everything up). I just found out that the last person who owned my car had the head taken down a 1/16 of an inch too far; this is why it blew a HG. Now I have to buy a new head, but i am going to spend the extra money and get a new block too. This way I will know that all the bearings and pistons are good. i just wanted to get her on the road instead of siting in my drive way.The reason I wanted to do cheap mods was because I am graduating this year and i will not be able to afford to have a car while i am in college so i really didnt care about ruining it. Now i guess i will keep it.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

*gasp* you dont deserve a supra... these cars are no regular cars. they have souls!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Fuel
Stock

Muscle cars kick any other cars butt. I would give aything for a 1970 Challenger 440+6 pack, I love that car so much. Challengers have souls not Supras. This is a sexy car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge-challenger-1970a.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	135  

Last edited by Fuel; 01-12-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

lol funny thread... you can see ppl's attachments to their supras hehe

well you don't have to go buy catback & intake straight away...
and imho there's no such thing as machining too much lol.. i had mine machined so much i ended up with 9.4:1 compression... it was fine lol.. not a recommended compression ratio but it was cool hehe

since you've got the head off.... clean block surface... no bits of gasket left on it... get head/2nd hand head whichever... new stock hg, new stock head bolts, torque to 72ft lbs, run it in.. don't put antifreeze in yet... wait till 700ish miles? is that 1000km lol? once you've gotten to 1000kms and you haven't blown the hg its a sucess hehe

buy a mbc and turn the boost up to about 10psi... there you go.. more power easy k

lol

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road
Default lame noobie question ?

can't you just fit a really thick metal gasket to raise the ratio again ?

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel
... I just found out that the last person who owned my car had the head taken down a 1/16 of an inch too far; this is why it blew a HG...
1/16th of an inch is 0.0625" ... that is 62 and a half thousandths.
If he took that much off of the head (which is hard to believe for me), you may just have the record of how much a head was milled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalwithasupra
can't you just fit a really thick metal gasket to raise the ratio again ?
Yep, you can. But they only come in a couple of sizes. 3mm is the thickest I believe.

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote