Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
Reeves
3" Exhaust

Reeves is on a distinguished road
Question 87 turbo questions!

Hey guys!

My car is finally working in good condition!! I have some questions on some mods i want. It's my daily driver so im not looking to do anything mind blowing.

First off what do you guys think of Cooleeze products? I already bought their turbo inlet pipe after my old accordian hose broke on me. I like it and it looks great, but what do I know. I am interested in buying a lot of their stuff, so I really need to know what im buying here.

If I were to buy all the stuff on the Cooleeze website + a BoV, what other upgrades would I need? And what products do these upgrades pertain to? Im pretty sure I would need a boost controller, and im not really worried about a turbo timer because I can sit in my car for a extra minute or two ..

I want to get a short shifter, and this is the only one I could find. Has anyone ever used it? Is it good quality or what? I wan't to know what im buying. I don't want it to break on me a year down the road. How easy/hard is it to install? I don't have much/any experience with this kind of stuff. It has full detailed instructions, so it cant be that hard eh? That package comes with everything I need?

What is the max psi I can get with a stock ct-26, without having to upgrade my head gasket? How do I go about getting this boost? Boost controller, right? Is that all I need or what? I am vaguely familiar with the different types of boost controllers, so what is a good long-term BC that I can get at a reasonable price?

What do you think about these coilovers? I believe they use the stock struts, which makes them very cheap. I was interested in them because they are cheap, and I hate how my supra sways like a boat =D. I really dont know anything about suspension at all, so Im not even sure this is what I need or want. I just want it to feel stiffer and be able to hug the road on high speed turns as much as possible. Are there any TEM-compatible upgrades I can get at a decent price (no more than $500)?

What should I get first, and why? Am I going to need a lexus AFM and injectors with the upgrades im talking about here?

I hope I didn't miss anything.. Ill let you know if I think of anything else. Thanks!!

Dan

Last edited by Reeves; 03-03-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves
Hey guys!

1. My car is finally working in good condition!! I have some questions on some mods i want. It's my daily driver so im not looking to do anything mind blowing.

2. First off what do you guys think of Cooleeze products? I already bought their turbo inlet pipe after my old accordian hose broke on me. I like it and it looks great, but what do I know. I am interested in buying a lot of their stuff, so I really need to know what im buying here.

3. If I were to buy all the stuff on the Cooleeze website + a BoV, what other upgrades would I need? And what products do these upgrades pertain to? Im pretty sure I would need a boost controller, and im not really worried about a turbo timer because I can sit in my car for a extra minute or two ..

4. I want to get a short shifter, and this is the only one I could find. Has anyone ever used it? Is it good quality or what? I wan't to know what im buying. I don't want it to break on me a year down the road. How easy/hard is it to install? I don't have much/any experience with this kind of stuff. It has full detailed instructions, so it cant be that hard eh? That package comes with everything I need?

5. What is the max psi I can get with a stock ct-26, without having to upgrade my head gasket? How do I go about getting this boost? Boost controller, right? Is that all I need or what? I am vaguely familiar with the different types of boost controllers, so what is a good long-term BC that I can get at a reasonable price?

6. What do you think about these coilovers? I believe they use the stock struts, which makes them very cheap. I was interested in them because they are cheap, and I hate how my supra sways like a boat =D. I really dont know anything about suspension at all, so Im not even sure this is what I need or want. I just want it to feel stiffer and be able to hug the road on high speed turns as much as possible. Are there any TEM-compatible upgrades I can get at a decent price (no more than $500)?

7. What should I get first, and why? Am I going to need a lexus AFM and injectors with the upgrades im talking about here?

I hope I didn't miss anything.. Ill let you know if I think of anything else. Thanks!!

Dan
I numbered them so its easier.

The upgrades are based on my opinions.

1. Congratulations.

2. I heard Cooleze had very good hardpipes. I have not seen/heard a complaint about them yet. I'm going with these also eventually.

3. You'll pretty much need a 3" downpipe to get the exhaust gases away from the turbo faster for a better spool. Get a full 2.75" or 3" exhaust. This goes along with the downpipe. Get an Apex-i filter for the turbo. Has the best flow of all intake filters. Obviously an upgraded boost gauge since the stock one isnt very responsive and it doesnt show that u boost very high. A popular BOV is the HKS SSQV. My personal preference is the Blitz Super Sound DD. You can hear a few samples at blowoffvalves.com. And thats all I can think of right now.

4. I've never used it. So I'm not sure. But C's short shifter is very good from what I've seen/heard. It'll also run you approx. $350. And on top of that they are kind of hard to find. After reading a few threads though, it seems that it is a replica of the C's short shifter. But probably lower quality. It's chrome plated and it scrapes off easily and you can't use the stock shift knob with it. You can also find it on horsepowerfreaks.com if you dont trust eBay. There is also the Jim King(JK) shifter I've heard is really good.

5. It's how you drive the car. The stock CT26 only boosts until 13 psi. Anything after that doesnt really add anything but extra risks. You can get more boost without a BC by shimming the wastegate. You can either go with a manual boost controller or an electronic one. My personal favorite is the Apex-i AVC-R. Heard great reviews about them but are on the costly side. So your best bet is to go with a manual boost controller. Go with HKS or Greddy(Trust).

6. I've read that these coilovers are absolute crap.

7. You should tackle the exhaust first. Let the engine breath. Upgrade your intercooler. More surface area, more colder air. If you are going to go the Lexus AFM route you'll need 550cc fuel injectors the Lexus AFM, there are a lot of fakes on eBay. The real ones have a 10 digit serial number and a bigger honey comb on the inside of it. I would also suggest and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with a Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump. More fuel, more power. As long as your not N/A then you can do the Lexus AFM upgrade whenever you feel is necessary. The stock fuel injectors for the supra hold up to 330HP. They are 330cc. 440cc injectors hold up to 440HP. The 550cc injectors hold up to 550HP. Seeing a pattern with the sizes yet? Definitely get a new turbo elbow if you haven't already. The stock one is ridiculously restrictive. And thats about all I can think of right now. I'll post some more if I can think of it.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
Reeves
3" Exhaust

Reeves is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot for your help!
I was going to go with the Cooleeze downpipe first which is 3" mandrel bent
(or whatever the hell...) with a built in elbow. Also was going to get their 3" exhaust.
Funny you mention the HKS SSQV because I was thinking about getting it!
Dissapointed on the shifter. I definitely dont want poor quality, but im not ready to shell out $350 for a short shifter.
I have already heard about shimming the wastegate, but I also heard it can be kindof dangerous? Anyway ill just stick with the manual BC, thanks!

And I have some more questions! .

1. "I would also suggest and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator"
What is this and why do i need it? How much $$ we talkin for that and the fuel pump you suggested?

2. I havent even looked yet, but are there any coolant hose kits? Im going to flush my radiator tommorow and i noticed that the hoses are pretty shot.

3. Test pipes remove the catalytic converter, correct? What does this do? Just allow more air flow? What are the ups and downs of installing a testpipe, if there are any?

4. Like I said, i dont know crap about suspension stuffs . Can you recommend anything to me that is affordable? What suspension options do I have and what do they all do? Please explain in detail if possible :/.

5. Can you recommend any good boost gauges? I really don't know where to start looking.. It will use the same spot as the old gauge, correct? They arent very hard to install are they?

6. What horsepower should my headgasket be good till? 255k miles on the car, but like 20-30k on the engine ( dont know exact mileage, bought the car from my dads friend)

Sorry if any of these questions are stupid. This is my first car, and before that I didn't work on cars at all.

Thanks!

-Dan
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote