Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 AM   #11
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

XtreeX is on a distinguished road

yea didn't buy it. seemed to good ot be true.
XtreeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
flight doc89
3" Exhaust

flight doc89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik
it will lean out your a/f ratios which will give you more power and less fuel consumption, but in the end you might melt your pistons if it leans it out by too much.
better stay away from it
there are heaps of other mods which can be done under 20$
It doesn't lean it out; colder air means denser air means ecu dumps in more fuel to maintain stoich. Colder air readings without colder air means ecu dumps in more fuel than stock fuel map allows = rich mixture
flight doc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

XtreeX is on a distinguished road

soo, is that good or bad
XtreeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
Strannik
3" Exhaust

Strannik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight doc89
It doesn't lean it out; colder air means denser air means ecu dumps in more fuel to maintain stoich. Colder air readings without colder air means ecu dumps in more fuel than stock fuel map allows = rich mixture
which means waste of fuel and stuffed cat and absolutely no power gains
you can just disconnect the temperature sensor used for warm up and run permanently rich

i think those boxes make ecu think it actually gets less air then it does - thats the only way i can see the car would be making more power
mk3's run rich from factory already, no point making it even more rich

regarding under 20$ mods, there is a whole thread of them listed on supraforums.com, just look over there see if anything suits you
Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
Reeves
3" Exhaust

Reeves is on a distinguished road

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but i really want to know some things about chips. I was told that when upgrading your car with exhaust, intake, and whatnot, the computer will get used to it, "learn", and adjust itself and you will lose much of the horsepower from the mods. They told me a chip will take care of that.. You guys make chips sounds really bad, while a co-worker of mine says they make your car run more effecient and gives you more horsepower at the same time.

Basically just want to know if there are any "safe" chips for our cars. And if not is it true that the computer will adjust to our mods making us lose horses?
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #16
cars4me89
3" Exhaust

cars4me89 is on a distinguished road

What I want to know is that.. if you make the car run richer by using that chip and making it think its getting more air than it is.. and it dumps in more fuel cause of it thinking its getting colder air. So then it puts that extra fuel in and some of it won't burn up. that means the car is now running rich. why wouldnt the oxygen sensor pick up on that and change the injectors to make it run at that ideal 14.7:1 ratio. If I'm correct that would make the chip completely obselete and would in fact do NOTHING. am i right??
Currently enrolled in UTI (Universal Technical Institute.. ya ya say what you want bout the school lol its got some nice benefits though), have about two years of auto experience so far.. only 18 years old. My supra's older than me :P

-Phil
cars4me89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #17
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

the only modification that your ecu does really is ignition timing (usually retarding due to faulty knock sensors or pinging is actually happening) or air fuel ratio

how it does this is through the 02 sensor, if too much oxygen is detected in the exhaust gasses it will richen the fuel mixture to compensate (if it can... it depends on what is wrong) or if it detects not enough oxygen it will back off the fueling to compensate

the ecu doesn't really know what mods you have or are doing to it, all i can see is extra air in which case it will richen where needed

you do not lose power by doing mods, else why would people mod their cars?

and CHIPS ARE RUBBISH!

/chips thread

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #18
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4me89
What I want to know is that.. if you make the car run richer by using that chip and making it think its getting more air than it is.. and it dumps in more fuel cause of it thinking its getting colder air. So then it puts that extra fuel in and some of it won't burn up. that means the car is now running rich. why wouldnt the oxygen sensor pick up on that and change the injectors to make it run at that ideal 14.7:1 ratio. If I'm correct that would make the chip completely obselete and would in fact do NOTHING. am i right??
if that chip makes the car run richer it does not automatically make the ecu think that there is more air, you're forgetting an important item which is at the beginning of your engine.... an "Air Flow Meter". That will tell the ecu exactly what air is entering the system, unless you have a boost leak which is of course not the afm's fault.

yes you are correct the 02 sensor would send it's readings to the ecu to which it analyses and corrects

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:48 AM   #19
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Haha yeah the AFM takes authority over all the other sensors. The other ones just kinda add to what the ECU does after reading the AFM signal. And reeves, your friend is probably referring to real "chips" Like the ones giac makes for the vw/audi turbo cars for example. Not ebay chips. And yes those do work, But i dont think anyone makes one for our cars. And most of what those chips do is turn up the boost and fuel curve to compensate because the boost is ECU controlled on most newer cars (DSMs, audis, vws, turbo diesel trucks, etc), But you can still use a boost controller to modify the air pressure to the wastegate. Our turbo supras run purley on mechanical boost control, And the ecu will just cut fuel if too much air goes through. The only chip equivalent we can get for our cars are things like the maft pro, safc-2, and things like that. Suprra girl just mentioned them.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:52 AM   #20
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Oh and if anything that ebay chip would make the car run lean, not rich. lean = power (to a point). Almost all engines run slightly richer than perfect (the 14.7:1 stoichiometric) because the gas works like a lubricant and cools off the valves and stuff. And our n/a supras could use a little leaning out for power, But in a controlled fashion.