Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-16-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
GreenChevelleSS
3" Exhaust

GreenChevelleSS is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need help putting engine back together

Anyone have or know where a picture story is of some one putting all the lines and building the 90ish 7mgte? Im getting ready to put it back together and all these lines and hoses and everything running everywhere is gonna give me a headache and the book dont help me much so I want some good big pictures that I can use as a reference. what would help the most is if someone that had a supra brought theirs over to my house that would be the best....anyone live in tulsa?
Also has anyone put the turbo on their engine and then dropped it back in the car? How hard was it to get the engine mounts back in there with it. Im afraid I cant get the oil line back on thats on the bottom of the turbo with the engine back in there....
www.cardomain.com/id/3115ultima
GreenChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bullz_EyE is on a distinguished road

As far as that oil line, if it gives you any reassurance, the turbo can be removed
easily from the car with the engine still in it's home (from what I've witnessed).

Weren't you the one that took the engine out? It'd make sense to note where
things came from when you pulled them out. I'm not implying you don't know
what you're doing, it's just I thought you were the one doing the whole
procedure.

I'll probably be in the same situation though because I'm soon going to tackle a
head gasket replacement by myself.
Bullz_EyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
GreenChevelleSS
3" Exhaust

the turbo can be removed easily? Yea it took me like 2 days to get it out and the oil line was the hardest part. I cant get to it from the underside and I cant get my arms to go between the turbo and inner fender very well.

yes I was the one who pulled the engine, but whens theres 200 lines running everywhere its hard to set there and memorize every one. I know where some go but not all. And there was tons of bolts missing and things loose so who knows whats correct...

The simpler the better, I know every single part on my chevelle and if one was in boxes I could put it together...I would need help with the bolts tho for where they go.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
GreenChevelleSS
3" Exhaust

Anyone? Help!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

when i pulled my motor i took pictures of my lines but after i began pulling it out i noticed i missed alot of them its a good idea gone bad... and after looking at them again i dont think they'd help you much
Old 11-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
shawn87gta
Stock

shawn87gta is on a distinguished road

Not that this helps you now, but it might be helpful to others reading the post or yourself in the future. When I took my GM TPI motor apart I labeled every wire & hose and the corresponding connections, and made notes along the way. This takes a bit longer but you'll more than make up the time at reassembly. I also took digital pics before starting to note locations of wires, brackets, accessories, belt routing, etc. My GTA is pre-serpentine and has four separate belts, and I can attest that the brackets & accessories will mount up incorrectly... I'll take pics at any point where I look at it and think "this'll be a pain to get back together right", and after other parts are out of the way to get a clearer pic.
shawn87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
RogerH
Stock

RogerH is on a distinguished road
Smile turbo and gaskets

I've replaced the exhaust gasket on my wifes '87NA and my '90 turbo. The worst problem is stripping the threads in the head as the nuts rust on and the stud comes out of the the head + thread. Both cars have one stud stripped but the gaskets are holding. Getting the Turbo on and off is a real pain with the connections underneath but I did it in a morning after lots of trys with different spanners.I did the head gasket on my sons '88NA, I labled all the hoses with different coloured tape, you also need to mark their route thro' the other pipework. Most of the electrical connectors are different so only go back in one place - they are difficult to get apart use very small screw drivers down their sides to release the clips. Thought of using a standard Toyota gasket but after all the work and the mess the old one was in decided to use metal one - it leaked initially - steam out of the exhaust I used some rad seal and it settled down in week and hasn't used any water in the last 6 months. I had the head skimmed but just cleaned the block (not very well). I didn't retorque the head as I had already put it up to the revised high setting.

Last edited by RogerH; 11-24-2005 at 08:14 PM.
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road

this held me up for a weekend when i put my cars head back on. next weekend i had to take turbo off and replace a leaking oil gasket where that metal oil pipe fits to the turbo, took less than an afternoon.

1/4" 12mm tube socket with 3 extensions and you can just line it up onto the nuts on the bottom of the turbo with your ratchet below the suspension arm. keep all the nuts loose just on the first couple of threads untill you have them all started. its very possible, just a mean job ... if that's the bit youre having trouble with ?

the vaccum lines are actually kinda easy once you get into what i call my " toyota supra rythm. "
small lines are boost, bigger ones are manifold coolant, bigger again do boost, everything else is boost.

ps has somebody sent you a pic of a supra engine froma certain angle yet ? if you can get some specific questions im sure somebody will send you an answer.

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
Benesesso
3" Exhaust

Benesesso is on a distinguished road

Let me know if you want photos taken of particular areas--I have a 1990 Turbo (and an '88).
"You see, wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates the same way: You send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat." A. Einstein

1988 and 1990 Turbo Supras
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
GreenChevelleSS
3" Exhaust

Yes please, can you get close ups of the engine all around?

Thank you so much...