View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
RogerH
Stock

RogerH is on a distinguished road
Smile turbo and gaskets

I've replaced the exhaust gasket on my wifes '87NA and my '90 turbo. The worst problem is stripping the threads in the head as the nuts rust on and the stud comes out of the the head + thread. Both cars have one stud stripped but the gaskets are holding. Getting the Turbo on and off is a real pain with the connections underneath but I did it in a morning after lots of trys with different spanners.I did the head gasket on my sons '88NA, I labled all the hoses with different coloured tape, you also need to mark their route thro' the other pipework. Most of the electrical connectors are different so only go back in one place - they are difficult to get apart use very small screw drivers down their sides to release the clips. Thought of using a standard Toyota gasket but after all the work and the mess the old one was in decided to use metal one - it leaked initially - steam out of the exhaust I used some rad seal and it settled down in week and hasn't used any water in the last 6 months. I had the head skimmed but just cleaned the block (not very well). I didn't retorque the head as I had already put it up to the revised high setting.

Last edited by RogerH; 11-24-2005 at 08:14 PM.
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote