Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
SupraDietrich
Stock

SupraDietrich is on a distinguished road
Question Replacing the Head Gasket

I've heard a lot about this and i need a few answers lol... first of all i know that the head gasket is the weak spot of the supra engines, the questions are, can you fix it yourself ?, is it easy ?, should it take a few days, weeks ?... cause when i heard blown head gasket i thought,"MEH", 240 bucks CDN for a metal HKS headgasket and another like 100 bucks CDN for some head studs and then tada!... take off the head, polish it up put on the new gasket and tighten it all up, sounded easy and cheap to me but i'm hearing like a fucking 2000 dollar CDN fee for this repair, which is rediculouse considering i'm only paying like 4000 dollars for the car, i hear that the stock torque specs on the bolts are around 58 pbs and that 72pbs or around there would be better and that they should be retorques every 10 000 km or something like that, if any one can settle this issue for me that would be greatly appreciated, i pretty much want to know what i need to do it myself and if i even can do it myself i mean with a few friends to help out ofcoarse, like do i need to lift out the engine ?,,, stuff like that, thanx guys get back to me ... byes...
Old 10-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bullz_EyE is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. I bought an 88 MKIII turbo just last night for $1,900 with 86,000 miles. On the way home I noticed the engine got hot. I know from past history it had overheated once and the thermostat, waterpump, and radiator had been replaced. I didn't think I was going to have a problem till I drove it today. The oil cap is nice and frothy, I smell coolant in the exhaust, and see blow-by coming out of #6 near the exhaust manifold.

I called on shop and they quoted me at $1,110. All gaskets, head rebuilt, and labor are all included in that price. I was wondering if there were another solution to this as I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, and if not too daunting a task, would like to try and tackle this myself.

If anybody knows where I might be able to get this done at a relatively cheaper price in San Diego please let me know. Ben.
Bullz_EyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
Roger UK
Stock

Roger UK is on a distinguished road

Well it is quite a daunting job . . . . a few years ago I did the HG myself a couple of times on a V6 Carburettor engine . . . that wasn't too bad. But remember this is a 24 Valve Double overhead camshaft engine with fuel injection . . and loads of vacuum lines and electrical sensors! Plus, even more if you have a Turbo model . .

I got one of the most experienced guys in the UK on these engines to replace my head . . and it still took him about ten hours, even with my help. And unlike most jobs that you've seen someone else do, I WOULDN'T attempt it myself now!

Knowing how expensive your US garages are, that $1,100 quote doesn't sound bad . . . but maybe you can find an enthusiastic amateur who has worked on similar engines to help you.

Having said all that, if the job is done properly there is no problem with stock HG and stock head bolts, as long as it's torqued to 72 ft-lbs (the bolts work loose with original spec) . . . mine has done 10,000 miles since head replaced with no problems.
1991 3.0i (N/A) Manual, Black Mica. Owned 6 yrs, Mint Bodywork, Daily Driver. Recent Engine Recon (rebored, crank ground, new oil & water pumps etc), New Rad & Catless Exhaust, EGR all removed, Inline PCV Filter (Photos at http://wessexproductions.co.uk/supra )

Last edited by Roger UK; 10-16-2005 at 05:23 AM.
Roger UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

I think we should ask suprra_girl to show us that video where she is under the hood and working on the engine. She seems to know her way around bolts and nuts!.....lol

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road
Cool

it's not nearly as difficult as you think
a boat load of bolt and nuts keep track of em !

hardest part i thought was removing the turbo water inlet and oil inlet under the turbo and the egr assembly on the intake side

what video or suprra_grl ?
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

if you are doing a mhg you need to have the block prepped for it also
you have pretty much the right plan
arp head studs = 82ft lbs
arp head bolts = 72ft lbs
new stock bolts = 72ft lbs

head machined to a fine polish/RA

what are you planning to do with the car

if you're not planning more than 15psi & 300whp then a stock head gasket and arps will be fine and you will get away with having to have a perfect block finish

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 AM   #7
SupraDietrich
Stock

SupraDietrich is on a distinguished road

I plan on running around 300 HP for a while (well up to 300 anyways) untill after university cause i know i won't have alot of money, but yeah even posting this the same questions still remain, can i do this myself with a few friends ?, cause anything over 1000 bucks just sounds rediculous, i mean i know i will get a torque wrench first thing and get those torque specs set properly to avoid this but even if i just want a batter HG on there like the steal HKS one and some ARP studs with that to make sure this is super reliable then i don't want to pay 2K to get it put on, and remember i'm in canada lol... OH! and does winter driving effect the HG at all ?, like the cold weather and started it in winter... stuff like that, i really want to know this inside and out so i know what to aim for first offf when i buy the car, cause right after all this HG stuff i'm gunna throw 3" downpipe and straight pipe with a nice loud muffler on there MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!, yeah i like my friends 87 turbo, sounds nice, with the straight pipe 3" the whole way, anyways, if anyone can keep posting info on the HG stuff and pictures videos links to step by step repair (do-it-yourself) sites, pretty much anything cause i kinow alot will benefit from this if i can get a few experienced enthusiasts to give us their best info about it, thanx again, Dieter
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #8
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl
head machined to a fine polish/RA
Whats the "RA" stand for?

EDIT: You also mentioned you need the block prepped. What on the block needs to prepped for a MHG?

Last edited by Bullz_EyE; 10-19-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #9
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bump for a response.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 AM   #10
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullz_EyE
Whats the "RA" stand for?

EDIT: You also mentioned you need the block prepped. What on the block needs to prepped for a MHG?
It means way more work and $$$.....stick to head work and stock gaskets.
The block would need to come out and stripped down and sent to machine shop for a resurface to a near mirror finish. Only needs to be done when you are trying to increase HPs over 300-350. Wait till you've owned it a long while, and feel like making it your hobby (throw $$$$ at) car.
mrnickleye is offline   Reply With Quote