View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
Roger UK
Stock

Roger UK is on a distinguished road

Well it is quite a daunting job . . . . a few years ago I did the HG myself a couple of times on a V6 Carburettor engine . . . that wasn't too bad. But remember this is a 24 Valve Double overhead camshaft engine with fuel injection . . and loads of vacuum lines and electrical sensors! Plus, even more if you have a Turbo model . .

I got one of the most experienced guys in the UK on these engines to replace my head . . and it still took him about ten hours, even with my help. And unlike most jobs that you've seen someone else do, I WOULDN'T attempt it myself now!

Knowing how expensive your US garages are, that $1,100 quote doesn't sound bad . . . but maybe you can find an enthusiastic amateur who has worked on similar engines to help you.

Having said all that, if the job is done properly there is no problem with stock HG and stock head bolts, as long as it's torqued to 72 ft-lbs (the bolts work loose with original spec) . . . mine has done 10,000 miles since head replaced with no problems.
1991 3.0i (N/A) Manual, Black Mica. Owned 6 yrs, Mint Bodywork, Daily Driver. Recent Engine Recon (rebored, crank ground, new oil & water pumps etc), New Rad & Catless Exhaust, EGR all removed, Inline PCV Filter (Photos at http://wessexproductions.co.uk/supra )

Last edited by Roger UK; 10-16-2005 at 05:23 AM.
Roger UK is offline   Reply With Quote