Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-21-2005, 04:06 AM   #1
dannyDboi
Stock

dannyDboi is on a distinguished road
Default Just got my 1987 Supra Turbo and. . .

Man this ride is sweet. The owner is an awesome guy and he's really helpful, but I didn't notice until I got home, whenever I turn left or right, the car makes a weird sound. How much do you guys think that will take to fix? The owner told me he knows and yea he even told me before that I should really think about it before buying his car, so he even suggested that I wait but no i want this car so badly. He said he was going to hook me up with this mechanic and hes pretty cheap ( by the way hes helping me with all this because he feels kinda bad selling the car to me even all of those advice he gave to me, see how nice he is?). And does the Supra have power steering? whatever that is, my brother keeps saying there is no power steering and I think its when you are stopped and you want to turn? well when im at a stop and I want to make it turn, its soo hard to move it, the only way that makes it really turn is when it gets moving, is that normal? He's just telling me the car is bound to end up in an accident because it locks up sometimes when you turn. And I could tell that it is quite difficult to turn but the engine is nice. just in the startting of the engine there is this slight odd sound but my friend says that could be fixed, some part in the engine just needs to be tightened or something like that. Well anyways, I bought the car for $1400 and my parents and my brother are like its a peice of shit and everything because of the steering/turning and the sound it makes, but its so fast they just dont know and its rare to find one for that cheap, but I guess they are right about the turning because it can be quite dangerouse. Man I was so hyped that they would love this car but they hate it so much that they even hated me for buying it with all the yelling and sh*t and at that time I just wanted to run away with my car and never seem them again. I just hope I did the right thing and once I pay them back for the half share i borrowed from them, and earn enough to get the insurance which would be around 1.4 something grand and fix up the problems with the car, I'll show them how my baby supra is really driven. Plus its the same year when i was born waadaap!
dannyDboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

does the car make a squealing noise when cold?

it could be a few things... check to make sure two vacuum lines are still going to the power steering pump, when looking at the front of the engine it is located to your left bottom.. there is a little black object with two nozzles on it... it should have two vacuum lines going to it

does your powersteering fluid need topping up (reservoir bottle is on passengers fender beside air filter)

when the car isn't going (off)... go and twist the belt on the power steering pump, how much can you twist it? more than half turn?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

yea ur car needs some fluid...if you fill it up and its still hard to turn, you might have a leak somewhere, as for the noise while turning it could be a number of things if you can try and describe the noise...we might be able to diagnose it, theres a bunch of noises...but im assuming at the moment it might be one of the belts since that was the case for me...little grease here and there and i was good to go
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
dannyDboi
Stock

dannyDboi is on a distinguished road

SupraGirl you are right, me and my friend had a look at it today and he was also guessing that it could be the power steering fluid and guess what, it WAS! man when we went to buy the right fluid for it and started filling it up, the thing ate it up! after pouring it in, it looked full and then I went in neutral and just starting steering left and right to get the thing sucked up and then when we opened it up the thing started blubbling but that was nothing so we added more, and did the same thing, started steering it...and after that it still needed more, man this thing was hungry and after a couple more tries no more nasty sound and now is POWER STEERING! Man i really feel great that i bought this car now and my parents and especially my brother...I want to see their face when I start up this bad boy, I mean bad girl?
dannyDboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

cool!!

glad ya got it sorted

but ya gotta wonder.... where did all that fluid go

start looking for leaks hehe

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road