|12-25-2016, 08:24 PM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2016
Supra '89 with 5gte engine problems.
First i would like to introduce myself I'm new here, my name is Daniel I'm from Croatia.
I recently bought a Supra '89 but the previous owner swapped the engine from 7m GTE to 5mge. . Due to rarity of the car in my country and lack of information and experience I noticed it when it was late. (Didn't even taught that somebody would do something to a car like that).
I'm experiencing some problems, mostly with wiring of the car. Can't even find an electrician to take a look on the problem, cause nobody worked with a car like that. So I'm doomed to try to fix it by my self hope somebody from here can help me.
The problems are following:
* Temperature, rpm, gas and turbo gauge are not working (think it is a problem with wiring, I have some wires cutted under the glove box, and under the hood). And the speed gauge jump up and down if I drive under 50kmh.
* Reverse (Tail) lights are not working, probably the relay.
* Cold start injector is not connected, (due to some wires don't know what color they are)
* The engine doesn't accelerate right,I push the gas pedal the rpm goes up but the car won't accelerate. ( I have an gas installation inside and when on gas works OK but on gasoline the problem occurs)
* Antilock lamp is always on.
There are some more problems but that is not so serious as the above one.
I hope somebody can provide me some information or help me.
I googled some pages but the problem is the info are not similar to my problem, and posts are old.
I lack with experience in car wiring, but wiling to learn. Because its a great car and I would like to fix it.
Can provide with images if needed. Thank in forward.
|03-16-2017, 05:31 PM||#2|
Join Date: Oct 2015
Welcome to the forums!
Taking a quick stab at a few of your items:
- For that many gauges to not be working it sounds like a fuse or wiring harness issue. Cut wires would be a problem. There should be link in the forums for access to the TSRM PDF. That should help to identify your wiring.
- Speedometer needle jumping - there are a few other posts about that here. That could be just an indication that it needs lubrication. Not sure on a '89 but my '86.5 has two cables, connected underneath the passenger floorboard near the drive shaft. I have replaced the shorter cable twice in the two years I've had the car (first when I bought it and then later when it overheated next to the exhaust pipe). I have filled both cables with white lithium grease and haven't seen any further "bouncing needle".
- Reverse lights not working? Mine have a very sensitive switch so they work depending on where my shifter is - just a slight bump on the shifter will turn them on/off. Personally I don't care about them. If I need additional lighting for backing up I just tap the brakes and turn on those lights.
- Cold start wiring - see the TSRM.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Things to look out for in ENGINE SWAP 1992 Supra nonturbo||jduvall24||MKIII Supra||18||09-24-2012 10:55 AM|
|1988 supra 7mge engine blown what to do?||88supra7mge||MKIII Supra||6||08-23-2010 04:22 PM|
|1990 supra turbo engine issues help||jespat||Non-Generation Specific Questions||4||01-24-2008 02:37 AM|
|Best year and engine Supra to buy, your thoughts please.||Jpw||MKIV Supra||2||11-17-2007 07:58 AM|
|87 Supra 7M-GTE/AT Engine cranks over but doesnt start...||Supra-Boy||MKIII Supra||7||03-15-2006 11:38 PM|