Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

I dont think it has anything to do with the compression really..

The engine is only capable of doing so much by itself.. if you understand how a turbo works (I will use the way I 'splained it to my kids) the turbo is like taking your girlfriend and giving her a straw... then putting a milkshake in front of her. Time how long it takes her to suck up one strawful of milkshake (no.. not sexual thoughts here..)

Then.. fill the straw with milkshake and blow it into her mouth as hard as you can. Thats.. boost.

A NA engine is sucking air.. while a turbo has the benefit of a pump pushing the air. Makes one helluva difference. You aren't going to defy physics by wishing it was different.

Remember.. I am not a mechanic.. but a NA (naturally aspirated engine) is forced to suck its air/fuel mixture. A turbo is beautiful because the exhaust will spin a tubine which pushes it in. Superchargers use the crank (unless they changed it) so they actually cost HP to run.. (if I remember correctly a 350 HP supercharger can use 50HP just to push the air)

Its probably far more complex.. but the engine does have its limitations.. and 300 HP is far past that if I understand its engineering. It just simply cant be done "normally" without possibly pumping 1000's and 1000's of dollars into it. So... its better that you take the NA and sell it for whatever you can get for it and put a 7MGTE into it (or a 1JZ) Your farther ahead and will save yourself a massive amount of headache..

of course.. this is an opinion from a guy sitting behind a computer.. not over top of an engine bay.

Last edited by Grandavi; 10-19-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
zby67
3" Exhaust

zby67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
I dont think it has anything to do with the compression really..

The engine is only capable of doing so much by itself.. if you understand how a turbo works (I will use the way I 'splained it to my kids) the turbo is like taking your girlfriend and giving her a straw... then putting a milkshake in front of her. Time how long it takes her to suck up one strawful of milkshake (no.. not sexual thoughts here..)

Then.. fill the straw with milkshake and blow it into her mouth as hard as you can. Thats.. boost.

A NA engine is sucking air.. while a turbo has the benefit of a pump pushing the air. Makes one helluva difference. You aren't going to defy physics by wishing it was different.

Remember.. I am not a mechanic.. but a NA (naturally aspirated engine) is forced to suck its air/fuel mixture. A turbo is beautiful because the exhaust will spin a tubine which pushes it in. Superchargers use the crank (unless they changed it) so they actually cost HP to run.. (if I remember correctly a 350 HP supercharger can use 50HP just to push the air)

Its probably far more complex.. but the engine does have its limitations.. and 300 HP is far past that if I understand its engineering. It just simply cant be done "normally" without possibly pumping 1000's and 1000's of dollars into it. So... its better that you take the NA and sell it for whatever you can get for it and put a 7MGTE into it (or a 1JZ) Your farther ahead and will save yourself a massive amount of headache..

of course.. this is an opinion from a guy sitting behind a computer.. not over top of an engine bay.
i understand how a turbo works. i just dont see why you wont see more hp with boring over and a 3" exhaust it still lets out more air. but i see your point just cause your sucking in a shit tone of air dosnt mean anything unless you can get ride of i quickly. so just do a stock rebuild new exhaust and cold air intake then start saving up for a GTE swap? and how much would boring over the GE actually help or will it hinder>? then once i get the GTE take everything i added to the GE and put it on the GTE cause im getting most of this from suprastore and there kits ment mostly for the GTE's anyway

Last edited by zby67; 10-19-2010 at 06:37 AM.
zby67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Grandavi
walbro fp

putting any extra into the GE engine other than stock (to me) is a waste. Your not going to feel it enough that it will make you giggle when you hit the road.

Again, that is simply my opinion. Mr. Nickleye ran a NA I believe and would be the guy to talk to if he's still around.

The other thing to consider is.. what is the point of doing all this work the the 7MGE? You will have the "fun" feel of the Supra as is (maybe not extreme.. but still there). I steer away from GE's simply because I like the turbo feel and sound. 5th gear pulls up a hill is just cool. but my truck and van are not turbo'd and they have their nice feel as well..

I would just get the car looking good, driving good, and plan. The smartest thing you can do right now is figure out exactly what you want and why. Once you reach that point.. then you will get to the "how". After that.. you will be hit with a lot of problems to overcome. That is where this forum works best. Solving the issues to reach the goal.

I can type all night, but in the end, your not going to get enough out of your 7MGE to go gutting it out and upping everything. (My opinion) A solid well running engine is miles ahead of a bored out tuner when you know that the limitation is going to be somewhere between the 200 and 265 HP mark. To me, its just not worth the coin. Drive with style.. plan for speed.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Grandavi
walbro fp

Look at this.. (a turbo slap-on story for a 7MGE). It may be interesting
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97101

(the photo links in the web link posted above are mostly dead.. its a 7 year old thread)

Also.. photos of a 7MGE-t
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v514/JTrue/?start=440

and.. if I recall from all my reading.. it isnt that expensive to do (if you have the parts already handy), but what you have to do afterwards is the costly part..

Apparently, its a nice setup if you do get it to work properly.. but its got some nasties waiting at the end.. lol. Hope your more mechanically inclined than I am.. I just wouldnt have the time/skill to do it correctly.

Last edited by Grandavi; 10-19-2010 at 07:09 AM.