Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...nd-7m-gte.html

You could also look to see if the turbo's oil drain runs to a location in the block near the block near the oil filter or if it's running to a bung placed in the oil pan. If its running to the oil pan and there's no return bung then it's not a GTE. The GTE also has an oil cooler setup for the engine and the GE doesn't... A lot of swaps leave this out. Just take the VIN to a dealership and ask for the info on the car's original equipment. Otherwise, the original registration info on file with the state will probably have it recorded.... OR get a Carfax report.

I've never heard of a factory GTE without the MA71 VIN (it's not like it's something they might run out of and have to switch over to the other)... but there's often some confusion over the chassis code punched into the frame in a couple places (such as the radiator support) which all say MA70. You can order replacement info tags, hood decals and glove box decals, so I wouldn't count on them as a reliable source. I *think* you can or used to be able to get replacement firewall tags from Toyota. That may be something only available to Toyota dealers. I knew of third party companies which deal with shops with accounts. I don't know if any of them will reproduce a tag with a VIN on it though.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Jaster83
Stock

Jaster83 is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'm walking away from this one.

I managed to get back up there and the plate on the firewall didn't have the transmission info in the upper left hand corner, it just had the model # and the trim #'s under it.
Model # is MA70L-BLPVPA. Non-turbo. I looked at the front of the engine where it says 7M-GE or 7M-GTE and the badge is missing. Didn't like that. I felt for the knock sensors and it seems to have two of them, so it's the GTE variety. Looked at the dash, no turbo gauge.

Without crawling under it I'm not sure if I'm able to see if he swapped the tranny with the engine, but I'm actually going to guess that he did, as the gear shift and the leather shroud look new, whereas everything else in the interior looks pretty beat to hell. (It's missing the glove box door and the center console cover.)

I talked to the manager of the used car department at the dealership and he seemed to have more info on the car (maybe he's the one that took it, not sure.) but from everything I can piece together the guy intended to use this as a drag car, which would explain why the A/C and the power steering don't work a lick (probably because he didn't install them when he swapped the engine). He's got a hard intercooler pipe and Magnaflow exhaust on it, so it makes sense.

It would take probably $2000 to get it presentable as far as interior work/paint/trim pieces go. Maybe more depending on if I wanted to replace the ratty seats.

Sigh... guess I'll just have to save up some money, keep driving my crap saturn I got for $500 and keep my eyes open for another prospect. Thank you for all the help fellas, I will be back.
Jaster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I would have skipped it too unless I did a lot more digging through it. You never know what the previous owner may have done or screwed up.

I hear ya on the beater thing.... I'm driving a 'so neglected it's beyond embarrassing' Honda Accord while I'm working on my MR2. It's killing me.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Jaster83
Stock

Jaster83 is on a distinguished road

Yeah the guys at the dealership started being pretty dodgy when I asked if I could check the compression, too. Makes me think there's a bhg issue because I asked if they checked the compression and he said yeah, it's all good across the board. I asked if they saved the report and then he was all no, they don't save those. I said I'd have to check the compression then and he says well you'd have to pay us to run it through the shop, so yeah, I'm done.
Jaster83 is offline   Reply With Quote