Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   supra has no electrical power (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/20581-supra-has-no-electrical-power.html)

akue 06-10-2012 06:23 AM

supra has no electrical power

Hey first time on here but have a question I'm a delivery driver for pizza hut and I was on the way back from a delivery and as soon as I got back the car just shut off completly the only thing I can think of is the anti theft shut the car off I have issues with the secruity and it went off like 5 times within 3 hours the lights wernt dim or anything so right now I'm at a loss of what to do any ideas of getting it back up and running

cre 06-10-2012 07:07 AM

If you have no headlights or even dome light then check the 100A Fusible Link in the engine bay fuse box.... I think it's 100A, if not it's the highest value FL in that box.

akue 06-10-2012 07:10 AM

See but I tried getting that fuse out and it wont come out at all

akue 06-10-2012 04:49 PM

Ok so pulled the fuse and put a new one in still no power going threw the car is there a kill switch for the anti theft and the alarm. That's my problem the alarm disabled the car and I tried the locking the door and unlocking and unlocki.g it from the passanger side still nothing soo definitely at a loss have no clue what to do

cre 06-10-2012 05:03 PM

The factory alarm system only disables the starter. Do you absolutely no power to ANY circuit or does something, anything have power? Have you tested the battery thoroughly? Inspected the battery cables and grounds?

akue 06-10-2012 05:12 PM

The battery full eveything looks good and I have no power to anything soo idk what's going on

cre 06-10-2012 05:14 PM

If the battery, cables and fusible link really are good you should have at least dome lights, hazards and headlights. If not then check again. Are you testing the battery with a proper load?

akue 06-10-2012 05:16 PM

Ya I was driving when the car just shut off idk if a ground came undone or somthing blew

cre 06-10-2012 05:21 PM

The fusible link is the most likely issue, common problem. On some MKIII's it's just a special piece of wire and later models used the fuse like assembly (they're interchangeable). It's bolted in on the underside of the panel in the fuse box, you can;t just pull it out.... Did you replace the right thing?

akue 06-10-2012 05:26 PM

Ya that's what I replaced

cre 06-10-2012 08:02 PM

And you've physically inspected and tested the other things I listed?

This isn't an alarm issue... not the factory alarm anyway.

Ranma 06-10-2012 08:18 PM

As stupid as this sounds, start at the battery and move forward through the system. Did you check for power on both sides of the fuse? lastly, you did check the ground wire, right?

akue 06-10-2012 10:30 PM

I haven't really looked I've pretty much glanced but as I was taking the postive off the car had got power but the kept cutting back out soo I'm guessing a ground came undone?

Ranma 06-10-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akue (Post 103300)
I haven't really looked I've pretty much glanced but as I was taking the postive off the car had got power but the kept cutting back out soo I'm guessing a ground came undone?

Check the main ground. Don't glance at it take it off and do a proper inspection. It makes sense, a bump and a corroded cable breaks.

It is the main one from the battery to the frame. Mine has a ground right to the frame. Did you try a volt check from the positive to the frame?

akue 06-11-2012 01:25 AM

Ok so the cable was bad it was almost off the ground I put it in a new location from where it broke and still have no power

Ranma 06-11-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akue (Post 103303)
Ok so the cable was bad it was almost off the ground I put it in a new location from where it broke and still have no power

You probably need a new cable, do an ohm check to see if there is any resistance. make sure all of the connection points are clean. need to be sure the cable is connecting a good electrical path from car to ground. did you try a voltage test from positive to body of car? If there is no voltage indicated then the ground is bad.

akue 06-11-2012 02:11 AM

I don't have the tools to even try any of that uhh shit so complicated

Ranma 06-11-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akue (Post 103306)
I don't have the tools to even try any of that uhh shit so complicated

It is a multimeter and very inexpensive. set to 12 volts and put the red wire on the positive terminal and black wire on the frame. If you have a 12 volt or so reading then it is a good ground. How did you check the battery? The ohm setting is used to check conductivity. put one lead on one end and the other on the opposite end. This shows the level of resistance. If it is not max buy a new ground cable.

This is really simple stuff

akue 06-11-2012 03:56 AM

Well as if you cant tell I don't know.much bout cars but I think I'm just gonna replace the whole ground wire anyway where it was grounded befor I cant get the bold out so I have it on the intabk atm so no power still might be where I have it? And I'm not sure my dad checked it ao idk what he did

Ranma 06-11-2012 05:21 PM

It is important to get the ground on the right spot. So which part is bad, the one to the frame or engine or alternator? The part from Toyota is best, I have had awful experience from aftermarket.

What you need to understand is the car is the return for the negative and the alternator. Please be careful, Genius :eek: reversed the cables jumping him. While the computer blew first trying to save the fuse, the main fuse turned to power. I set the engine fuse box on fire and at the gas pump. See God looks after morons and old crew chiefs.

Let me know how it goes.

akue 06-11-2012 07:46 PM

The ground from the.engine its gotta be somthing for a ground I'm not even getting a spark.

Ranma 06-11-2012 08:35 PM

There is a strap for engine grounding come to think of it. Did you restore power to the rest of the car?

akue 06-11-2012 10:41 PM

Nope none of the car has power yet the one cable that was on the engine was barly on and the one that grounded to the frame is fine all I can see is the ground that went to the engine and fram and I fixed the ground to the frame but yet I still have no power

akue 06-11-2012 11:52 PM

Where is the ground for the alternater

akue 06-12-2012 12:37 AM

Now thag I think of it if I have the grounds from the batter both on the frame of the car will that even work? The ground that was to the engine should be on the engine right?

Ranma 06-12-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akue (Post 103330)
Now thag I think of it if I have the grounds from the batter both on the frame of the car will that even work? The ground that was to the engine should be on the engine right?

Are you sure the battery has power? If it is dead nothing you do will help. you can get a light bulb from the car and put the 2 wires on the post or you can set it up for a jump start or battery pack. The first thing in line is the battery and when troubleshooting electric start at the source.

akue 06-12-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma (Post 103331)
Are you sure the battery has power? If it is dead nothing you do will help. you can get a light bulb from the car and put the 2 wires on the post or you can set it up for a jump start or battery pack. The first thing in line is the battery and when troubleshooting electric start at the source.

Yea the battery has power we tried jumping the car wouldn't work I have a battery tester and it said the battery full soo I have no idea wtf is going on I cant get anything to work
Do you know where the alternater ground wire is so I can look at it? Only wire I have found of ground is the battery ground that goes to the engine itself tried seeing if that was the problem but still no power tomorrow I'm getting the 30 and 40 amp I. The engine bay fuses replaced see if that changes anything

Ranma 06-12-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akue (Post 103332)
Yea the battery has power we tried jumping the car wouldn't work I have a battery tester and it said the battery full soo I have no idea wtf is going on I cant get anything to work
Do you know where the alternater ground wire is so I can look at it? Only wire I have found of ground is the battery ground that goes to the engine itself tried seeing if that was the problem but still no power tomorrow I'm getting the 30 and 40 amp I. The engine bay fuses replaced see if that changes anything

Ok is their power to the battery side of the fuses? Next check the other side then head to the fuse box. Oh yes the alternator ground goes to the battery.

Anyhow check the wires for corrosion. They look good on the outside but may be broken in the middle. First try seeing if the wires have electric. If the battery side of the engine fuse box has power it is not the ground. Check the wire from the battery to the fuse box.

btwilson86 06-12-2012 04:33 AM

There is no ground wire to the alternator.

Do you have jumper cables? If so, you can use them to bypass your ground wire. Take the negative battery cable off of the battery. Hook one end of the jumper cwble to the negative battery post. Now hook the other end of the jumper cable to the engine (a good place is the hook used for pulling the engine, right next to the alternator). Still no power? Move the jumper cable from the hook to a bolt on the body of the car. If you still have no power after this, then the negative battery cable is most likely NOT the problem.

To diagnose further, you really need to get a multimeter, or at least a test light. Without the proper tools, nobody here will be able to help you.

akue 06-12-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma (Post 103333)
Ok is their power to the battery side of the fuses? Next check the other side then head to the fuse box. Oh yes the alternator ground goes to the battery.

Anyhow check the wires for corrosion. They look good on the outside but may be broken in the middle. First try seeing if the wires have electric. If the battery side of the engine fuse box has power it is not the ground. Check the wire from the battery to the fuse box.

How would I sheck if the fuses have power
I feel like I'm no help at all like I really have no.clue wtf I'm doing I'm just looking at anything that looks wrong just weird how my car just died like that and when I was taking the postive cable off my car got some power to turn the lights on 2 times but just stoped and cant find the problem just stumps me

akue 06-12-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btwilson86 (Post 103335)
There is no ground wire to the alternator.

Do you have jumper cables? If so, you can use them to bypass your ground wire. Take the negative battery cable off of the battery. Hook one end of the jumper cwble to the negative battery post. Now hook the other end of the jumper cable to the engine (a good place is the hook used for pulling the engine, right next to the alternator). Still no power? Move the jumper cable from the hook to a bolt on the body of the car. If you still have no power after this, then the negative battery cable is most likely NOT the problem.

To diagnose further, you really need to get a multimeter, or at least a test light. Without the proper tools, nobody here will be able to help you.

Soo if I hook the jumper cables to the battery and to the ground on my car and get power its the ground? Your saying

btwilson86 06-12-2012 01:05 PM

Yes, but reading your last post it sounds more like you have a bad connection on the positive terminal since you said you briefly had power when removing the positive cable

Green7mgte 06-12-2012 01:35 PM

thats good trouble shooting BT

Ranma 06-12-2012 03:56 PM

Like the ideal of using a jumper cable as a ground wire. Wish I would of thought of it and guess I missed the part about the terminal. Yes it would be the first thing checked. I would think they are corroded as well. He did say something about a ground wire being off.

With luck it was a loose dirty terminal and a lesson to people to do the simple maintenance. Yea BT you got me beat on troubleshooting.

akue 06-12-2012 09:48 PM

Ok soo this fusible link thingy lol where is it I thought it was a fuse but I was wrong I know its supposed to be before the 1st fuse box so where is it?

cre 06-12-2012 10:55 PM

The search function on this site works very well.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ible-link.html

There are more threads which discuss it too but I'd rather you do the research than retype it all over and over every time someone asks.

akue 06-12-2012 11:12 PM

Ok it was the end of the fusible link it was broke I have restored power to the car :D now just hope my baby starts :) letbu guys now in 15 mins

akue 06-13-2012 12:33 AM

Shea running again :) thank you guys for all the help

TSchulz 06-26-2012 03:12 PM

Okay, not sure if this is the same issue but my car also now has no power at all. I turned it off in a parking lot and it hasn't had any power at all in the car since.
I have replace the fuses that I thought it could be but no dice. I have tried to jump it and have tried to compression start it but still nothing at all. Anyone have any ideas?

cre 06-26-2012 04:02 PM

Zero electrical power? Not even to the dome lights? And the battery is charged? As covered in this thread, bad battery wires, primary grounds or fusible link.