Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

cheap for parts, but to buy a miata in my area is EXPENSIVE, plus everyone's got one. i like to be difrent whith my ol'mk3
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
LevelCarnivore1
Stock

LevelCarnivore1 is on a distinguished road

im 6'7", there is no way im even considering a miata, plus, toyota fan for life, their stuff jjust doesnt break!
LevelCarnivore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelCarnivore1 View Post
im 6'7", there is no way im even considering a miata
My buddy of 6'6"+ has an easier time driving my MR-2 than he had in another friend's MKIII Supra. The bulk where along the top edge of the windshield on Targa models is much more predominant than on T-Top SW20s (I'm only 6' but I've manage to head butt it many times). I suspect hardtop MKIII Supras may be the best but T-Top for an MR-2 SW20 (as you can remove the insulation panel but leave the glass top in and gain ~1/2" more headroom).

IMO the MR2 is far better designed for this type of application. It's lighter to a degree that you can't achieve with a MKIII. It came with very close to the same amount of power as the 7M-GTE but carrying over 1000 pounds less weight. Shorter wheelbase more central moment of inertia (goes into corners like a madman.. the good kind of madman). MUCH better built. While fewer of these made it the US than the MKIII they're easier to find in good shape and have a lot more aftermarket availability.

Quote:
Toyota fan for life, their stuff just doesnt break!
I love me some Toyota, real good but um....

MIATAS ARE FOR HAIRDRESSERS!!!! (So are MR-Ss.)
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
pandrade
12psi boost

Quote:
I love me some Toyota, real good but um....

MIATAS ARE FOR HAIRDRESSERS!!!! (So are MR-Ss.)
i couldent agree more, the ONLY exeption iv seen is a supercharged , waigh reduced and fully built miata at auto cross running slicks and killing everyone's lap times
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #15
LevelCarnivore1
Stock

LevelCarnivore1 is on a distinguished road

dont get me wrong, miatas can be bad to the bone, and id love to smoke mustangs and porches in a miata, but i just dont fit...like, not at all lol. and an MR2...mid engine...that looks like a monster right there! imagine a 800hp 2JZGTE motor, in a mid engined, all wheel drive car as light as an MR2....talk about monstrous! and ive seen more men in the miata, by far, than women...scary...
LevelCarnivore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dont get me wrong, miatas can be bad to the bone, and id love to smoke mustangs and porches in a miata, but i just dont fit...like, not at all lol. and an MR2...mid engine...that looks like a monster right there! imagine a 800hp 2JZGTE motor, in a mid engined, all wheel drive car as light as an MR2....talk about monstrous! and ive seen more men in the miata, by far, than women...scary...
There are people making 600+ RWHP in MR2's with their native 3S-GTE out there... Friggin' monsters, no need for a swap at all. I've seen Miata's with 1JZ and 2JZ setups that would make you weep as well. I'd take either over a MKIII for a track car not matter what power plant it's running. I'm not a fan of Miatas but they are light. I do appreciate the height issue.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
pandrade
12psi boost

a mr2 is a light body whith a really good motor, and superb handaling( imo a WAY better verson of miata) why mess whith it? and how would you ever stuff a 2jz into a mr2
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
a mr2 is a light body whith a really good motor, and superb handaling( imo a WAY better verson of miata) why mess whith it? and how would you ever stuff a 2jz into a mr2
There are a couple 3S-GTE Supras. One was clocked at 190MPH on a public highway somewhere... made big news. That was the same guy who got banned from ever driving in England for pulling a similar stunt with an RB26 swapped Supra there. Top Secret made a monster that put down over 700RWHP. Keep in mind that the 3S-GTE is very much like a 2JZ with 2 cylinders cut off.

Anyway, we're WAY off target now, it's my fault, my apologies. My point was simply that there are more reliable options which are far more nimble (which you really want for autocross) which can make a lot of power. As for the argument of the 1JZ or 2JZ being able to make 1000RWHP.... well, yeah, but it doesn't help here that's more of a drag race advantage. Building an autocross car for that kind of power is just throwing your money in the wrong place.

Tip Jar --->