Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
DawgB0
3" Exhaust

DawgB0 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy needs help with compare

I can buy 1 of those supra one is 87 but have starting system plm cant start it and other one is 92 but flooded with oil in spark plugs hard time to fire up but havent make it run yet
Both is turbo&Stick! Both stock both is same but which is best by performore, weight, torque, n body? Yes im trying to mod it to 10 sec street car but daily driver much as possible but nt nessecery have muti cars so yea

both almost same dirty cheap and im mechanic myself but nt aware with 7m just yet.

Last edited by DawgB0; 03-23-2012 at 12:17 AM.
DawgB0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Attila
Stock

Attila is on a distinguished road

go with the 92 newer is always better. If both are the same. The '92 has the progressive power steer whereas the 87 does not. Plus, now I'm not 100% sure of this but the 92 will have an LSD and the 87 will not.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

my 87 has an lsd, just cause its newer doesent mean its better imo
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
DawgB0
3" Exhaust

Red face

aight thanks for the opinions, if i brought me 92, end up i got bhg with spark plugs covered with oil instend 87 no problem with HG, but have problem with wiring harass and was told that it needed to be replaced can that help stop short out wiring when it got warm, cold start with no problem so what you think? Last one, which one is lighter too?

Last edited by DawgB0; 03-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No weight difference from one year to another... nothing more than 5 or 10 pounds anyway.

ALL Turbo models came with LSD, JDM models had two different types available depending on the powerplant and trim.

Never buy a car based on year if it's the same generation. The MKIII wasn't all that different in '92 as it was in '87... It's rarer, but either one could have been beaten within an inch of its life on a daily basis. As old as these cars are the individual vehicle's production date means VERY little. There were differences which started accruing in '89 but they're nothing I would base a purchase on.

I'd love to advise you further Dawg, but I just can't understand you. Sorry.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
DawgB0
3" Exhaust

Basic im trying to buy me almost any mk3 turbo stick n runs for dirty cheap so i can drive it around for while then once i got my money again im about mod it to 10 sec street car/daily driver..

Maybe later today im goin back to that 92 and try clean the sparks then fire it up if not i might dont want, i see alot oil yeaterday inside the pistons not top of spark plugs under..
When i try start it it kinda runs but sluggish and dies when i let go the clutch.

Another one 87 most of them parts is new as i was told but having problem with starting system im not sure jus yet personaly i will check it out on friday. And was told that i might need to swap new wiring harass for it to runs better.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Oil in the cylinders most likely poured in when the spark plugs were pulled. Otherwise you'd most likely have a chocolate sludge in there as the coolant would have started pouring into the cylinder long before the oil as the oil jackets are further out, smaller and on the other side of the big coolant jackets... I would expect you to already know this.

Look in the FAQ section for a thread on checking diagnostic/error codes and do so when you go look at the vehicles. Unfortunately, if they've rest the ECU or disconnected the battery you won't find any codes indicating detected problems but it's worth checking and only about 5% of sellers think to do this (or are dishonest enough to do it).

Oil in the spark plug galley will cause sluggish performance and oil dumped into the cylinder may foul the spark plugs before the engine has a chance to burn it off. If it's sluggish check the timing, spark plugs, spark plug wires and check for signs of a BHG.

DO NOT BUY A MKIII AS BOTH PROJECT CAR AND DAILY DRIVER!!! A crap MKIII is going to be a garage queen for a long time or it'll cost you a fortune to just keep it running... In which case you can forget about ever being able to afford proper mods and upgrading. These are not a cheap car to restore and upgrading one that's in poor shape is a joke. Honestly, trying to daily drive a MKIII bought on the cheap is usually catastrophic.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-21-2012 at 10:17 PM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
DawgB0
3" Exhaust

Talking

i was planning to rebuild it to imperfect later within few months after i drives it as it is thats why I'm firm with which one i should get and yeah you are right i should mod it to one reason but i can say more likely after a while it will become my weekend ride only if you know what i means so yeah I'm ready to spend at less 10k on the engine and upgrade everything much as possible jus like supra girl and she's WOMAN smh so impressed.

Last edited by DawgB0; 03-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgB0 View Post
i was planning to rebuild it to imperfect later within few months after i drives it thats why I'm firm with which one i should get and yeah you are right i should mod it to one reason but i can say more likely after a while it will become my weekend ride only if you know what i means so yeah I'm ready to spend at less 10k on the engine and upgrade everything much as possible jus like supra girl and she's WOMAN smh so impressed.
The problem is what you will break during this time. If you put it right before it breaks it is cheaper. Now take my red breasted money sucker (coinrapicus ruber), things are still going wrong. He still is not ready to be a daily.

Do you understand?

Last edited by Ranma; 03-22-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Ranma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
DawgB0
3" Exhaust

Huh no, i know what im doing. U do? Um no.