Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

Ok. Here i was thinking the supra has never had an oil issues, then i heard that and thought thats odd. Good to hear im not crazy.

Iv never drifted my supra but i do regurarly autocross it and have never had any issues whith oil pressure, burning, ext.. now i do run about 1/4 of a quart extra oil because mine burnes about that much between changes because of it being 135k miles and me just restoring it from sitting for 7 years, which doesent seem bad for its age( no blue smoke in tail pipe thank god)
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that the stock oil pressure gauge is dampened and may not show a momentary loss of pressure... It only has to happen for a second. But no, it's not a common issue at all.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
pandrade
12psi boost

You mention that the oil pressure gadge is dampend, is there any way to make it more accuret to drop and spikes in pressure or is the only solution to that is a new quality aftermarket gaudge?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

From what I'm told it can be modified. You need to open and modify the sender itself. I cracked one open but never found time to look into it any further. You may install an aftermarket sensor, but you'll need to keep the stock unit installed to keep the ECU happy.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
pandrade
12psi boost

I would like to keep the OE one because it looks good to me but i would like it to performe like aftermarket, any info you have on that would be helpfull cause that seems like a intresting project to start especialy on spring break not to mention the added safety of an accuret gaudge and not having to add another gadge and ruin the cluster whith a unessecery pillar pod
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I may have a spare sender, or even the one I started dissecting, somewhere in storage. It's unlikely that I'll have the time to outright seek it out, but if I do come across one I'll tinker a little and see what I can come up with.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
pandrade
12psi boost

ok thanks, any info would help. I hate to ask all the questions but im running all OE gaudges and im woundering what would you have to do to lets say remove the damper on the OE oil gauge , is it a matter of remove things, rewire, or even transplan a new one whith the OE face. Im trying to keep the interior as OE as i can while making the factory equipment more functonal but also keep the ECU happy
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

It's a matter of cutting open the can on the stock sender unit, modifying the mechanical components and crimping the can back together.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
pandrade
12psi boost

So it's just a matter of take it out, open it up and moding from there and close it back up properly. Any idea what would I need to modify if I have the sender unit open( when you say sender you mean the gauge face and the fat part that houses all the components that make it work I hope). For this little project I might end up buying another OE unit so if I screw up atlases I didn't do that to my cars unit. I hope my questions aren't getting annoying for some one that has probably more knowledge on it than I like yourself Cre
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I'll move this discussion to a new thread.

Sender = Sensor... Not always, but close enough. It's the metal can or bell under the exhaust manifold... and it's not going to be straight forward. I can't remember what the internals are like anymore.

Tip Jar --->