Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute
Cool MKIII un-love...

This discussion may belong in Off-Topic, so it may be relocated but it is MKIII specific so I'm posting it here for now.

I found a rather blunt blog article with which I'm sorry to say I do agree on most points:

http://speedhero.wordpress.com/2010/...s-are-garbage/

Especially the burgandy thing! Arrrrgh!

So, let's have out with our MKIII frustrations and disappointments... If you feel the need go ahead and follow up what you do like; But I really want to hear some venting... scream therapy!

My biggest complaints are the pathetic 7M-GE and the weight of the car...

On the upside, with proper attention it does make for a nice powerful highway predator (but no where near as readily or cheaply as many other vehicles).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

All I can say CRE is if you do not like it. Then do not buy it! I find my 86.5 7MGE to do well for me. I am NOT a racer and NOT a drifter. I drive my guy on weekends. I enjoy the comfort items built into the car.

Look at today's GM, Ford and Chrysler sports cars. They still use the engines of the 1960s for the most part. Fuel injection but they have lifting rods! The GM mechanic said "If it is not broken do not fix it". That type of thinking would still have 2 barrel Rochester carburetors on their low end engines. It is whats wrong with the thinking of the "big" three.

Remember also that the speed limit was the double nickel of 55 mph. Again my guy is great to romp around town and the country. Oh it you think the Supra is "bad", how about the Cameros and Firebirds from the same time? Try running a 2.8 litter V6 with an automatic. Then the suspension etc...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The article was about Toyota's offerings. I've owned a few old domestics... HATE them... You just had to bring up my least favorite carburator... HATED those too.

Anyway, as I said, just intended this to be a thread for venting our MKIII frustrations. I do still like the MKIII and think that it was way ahead of its time technologically in many, many ways... but nothing's perfect. Try to take it in good humor.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

I read the post, and think that guy is full of hurt bcs he bought a 20 year old N/A that was probably flogged to death and spent two years and a boatload of money just trying to get it back to what it was 20 years ago, which was not the Corvette killer he thought it was, definitely not the N/A. Comparing it to a Chevy P/U? That's just plain simmering hurt.

And his number one fault is a burgundy interior? This was the late 80's. Everyone had a car with a burgundy interior, Chevy, Caddy, Ford, everyone.

However, since we are talking about things on the MK-III that annoy, I have a few. The first is the impossible location of the top bolt on the starter. I had starter problems a couple of years ago, and wound up removing it and replacing it three times. Each time, I found a few new cuss words as I tried to remove and re-attach that damn bolt.

The second is the hole drilled into the actuator plate on the brake pedal for the brake light switch. I understand they needed to fasten a rubber button to the plate to keep the switch quiet, but if it falls out, the plunger fits right into that hole.

The third is the blind nut on the clutch master cylinder. High up and hidden by wiring and modules under the dash, this bolt is H-E-!-! to remove and replace. Extensions and swivels are your only hope of getting it off.

There, I've said it, and now I feel better.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

CRE was not at all offended. The MK III is really a touring car for people. It is not a racer, if someone wants to buy a racing car they should buy one. Got my guy almost done, need to do the interior and a couple of more things.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I think the 7mge pulls pretty good. I pulled about 2 cars on a 2004 VTEC hatchback with bolt-ons and I had a code 52 do to the knock sensor wire.

Last edited by Sonyps307; 01-19-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

My biggest complaint is the horabble taste in the disighner that put sawblades on the mk3, just tasteless the 5 spoke would have done nicely
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The sawblades are a subtle rip off from the Corvette wheels of the time... rip off is probably a bit strong but they've definitely taken a cue from the Vette.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
supraman3000
3" Exhaust

supraman3000 is on a distinguished road

freaking saw blades I hate those rims it takes a sst to do the balancing if you local alignment place or tires place doesnt have it no need to balance them, wich they will also tell you that it doesnt make a difference balancing is all the same it is not! found that out on the all data system
supraman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

i got my own balancing machine so no worres for me but i dont know why toyota would try to copy a vett, iv always like there product for what it was not what it wanted to be
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote