Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road
Default Bought new radiator & fans...have questions

I recently bought a radiator off of EBay. This one here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120787707077...ht_5564wt_1169
Now I'm just wondering about wiring the fans in. I've read that i would need to wire them to a thermostat and the battery. But is it possible to just wire them to the wires that ran to the stock electric fan? And I'm assuming that removing the mechanical fan is ok and i just have to get some nuts and bolts that will keep the pulley on. Help is appreciated guys.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icey756 View Post
But is it possible to just wire them to the wires that ran to the stock electric fan?
No. And the A/C temp switch which some recommend comes on at a higher temp than is generally desired... You'll need a thermostatic switch for the right operating temp and a dedicated wiring harness (don't forget the fuses and relays!).

Quote:
And I'm assuming that removing the mechanical fan is ok and i just have to get some nuts and bolts that will keep the pulley on.
Yes. If the hit the spot on the studs where there are no more threads you may swap out the studs for some bolts about 1/2" long... I'd use hardened bolts for a little more piece of mind.

Quote:
Do note that that is for a JZA70 chassis/engine setup and not a MA70. It's not a big deal but schedule some extra time in there for correcting any fitment issues and go buy a plug for the opening by the drain before you start. As they ditched the fan cowl and the A/C fans you obviously don't have to worry about fitting those but the rubber feet will need to be shortened a bit over 1/8".... I can't recall if there's anything else.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
icey756
3" Exhaust

Damn i didnt think wiring would be an issue. I have no idea what relays and fuses to get or even how to wire them. I just figured i could tap into the 8" stock fan that was on stock radiator and thats that.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
icey756
3" Exhaust

I no longer have an A/C fan i dont thing. I took out my A/C recently and the fan that i took out was out of the engine compartment and kind of between the bumper. I hope im explaining it right. I was just thinking about hooking the 2 fans up to the other little fan thats in the shroud next to the mechanical fan. Both of which i currently have removed.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The aux fans don't come on when you want for primary cooling. 225?F+ = way too hot. You want it to come on around or before 190?. None of the other temp switches operate at the correct temp either so repurposing is out there as well. I also wouldn't trust the thin, stock wiring for prolonged use with much larger fans.

I don't recommend electric fan conversions for most cars which come with mechanical fans. An aluminum flex fan is just as efficient (or more if you listen to the sales rep), if the clutch fails you're not dead in the water and for some reason people do an amazing job of fucking up wiring when installing an electric unit... Generally it's ignorance, short cuts and cheap hardware which gets them.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
icey756
3" Exhaust

OK. So i did some research and decided to buy this here.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DE...n/?prefilter=0
It includes a probe, relay, and thermostatic switch. Now another question arises. If i have it wired directly the my battery the fan is going to stay on until the temp. drops. What wire can i tap into so that they will only run when my key is turned? With just the electronics running is what im saying. Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Not sure how that's wired... you'll either just need to run that off of an ACC or IGN circuit or you'll need another relay between the two.

The black wire with the orange stripe which runs to the igniter and coil packs and injector resistor pack will work; So would the blue wire with black stripe which runs from the circuit opening relay to the fuel pump relay... Or, the Black wire with the red stripe coming off of the Main EFI Relay... Or, I previously thought that the +B pin in the diagnostic box was always powered but looking at the diagram I may have been mistaken; If it is switched you could use that line too or the FP line running to the diagnostic box too (both black with red stripe).

Make sure you're not exceeding what they state as the maximum. Ideally you'll want to be 20+% under the limit during normal operation. It's easy to accommodate higher power devices though by just using their circuit to trigger two other relays (one dedicated to each fan).

How are you going to mount that thermostat?

Here's another one worth considering too: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890015/ You'll have to open up one of the ports used by one of the A/C sensors (which you aren't using anyway) but it's rated for a little more power and preset for a good temp range.
Here's the instruction sheet: http://static.summitracing.com/globa...20890016-a.pdf

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
icey756
3" Exhaust

God damn it lol. Wiring that up this week is going to be a shit storm. haha.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

It's a piece of cake. I'm not going to write it all out though... Check The12Volt.com, maybe someone posted a diagram there.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
icey756
3" Exhaust

They didnt have anything. Do you really think i will need two other relays? The kit says it comes with one. I'm assuming that if i would need two it would have givin me two.

Tags
fans, radiator