Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
alarsen77
Stock

alarsen77 is on a distinguished road
Default BHG question.

Hey guys I have an 89 auto n/a supra with a bhg I am just looking to get the car running right not do any crazy upgrades. I am planning on just using a stick gasket and arp head bolts and having the head machined. I am just wondering do I have to do anything to the block or is there anything else I need to do while doing this job? I am trying to keep cost down as money isn't readily valuable right bow but these needs to get done shortly. I am just looking for some advice and if there is anything else that is recommended I look at or replace while doing the head gasket that may restore lost horsepower.
alarsen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

As long as there's no significant pitting or indentions then just follow the TSRM and inspect for warping and flatness. Make sure it's very clean too. I'd thoroughly clean the carbon build up off of the piston crowns while you're in there too... Mopar Combustion Chamber Conditioner (MCCC) works well as a soak to loosen it up; Just spray and let it sit a couple hours, while out and repeat.

Absolutely do not forget to chase the threads in the block! And do not forget the RTV at the block/rear timing plate union!!! These are biggies!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
supraman3000
3" Exhaust

supraman3000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
As long as there's no significant pitting or indentions then just follow the TSRM and inspect for warping and flatness. Make sure it's very clean too. I'd thoroughly clean the carbon build up off of the piston crowns while you're in there too... Mopar Combustion Chamber Conditioner (MCCC) works well as a soak to loosen it up; Just spray and let it sit a couple hours, while out and repeat.

Absolutely do not forget to chase the threads in the block! And do not forget the RTV at the block/rear timing plate union!!! These are biggies!
hey cre can u explain what is chase threads!
thanks im kinda learning cre going 4 auto tech soon!
I HAVE TO GET SUM KINDA BELT LOL!
supraman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A thread chase is essentially a non-cutting tap. It's used to reshape and space threads. If you don't have a chaser or can't find one you may use a tap, just be very careful getting it started as it will cut new threads and mangle the existing ones if you don't get it in straight. (NEVER use either with a drill! Hand power only!) Lubricate it well and remove it and clean it about every 1/4" to prevent shavings and dirt from chewing up the threads. Then when you're ready to install lube the hell out of the bolts with the included moly grease and torque in steady, even passes.

I'm just going to cut and paste what I've posted before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
75 ft lbs with moly and the threads MUST be chased. Torque in multiple passes 3 - 5 and if you encounter striction back off an eighth up to a quarter turn and resume. Each pass should go smoothly, if it stutters or jumps (striction or static friction) then it's not lubed well enough, it's binding on the threads or you're moving too slowly... It will usually result in false torque readings.

Retorque after a few hundred miles:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/77288-post10.html
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote