Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

supraluver4life is on a distinguished road
Default oxygen sensor questions

so i just got my hands on an xtune air fuel ratio gauge for free and i heard it only works with a wideband o2 sensor so i wanted to know if the stock sensor in my 87 supra turbo is wide or narrow band

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
supraluver4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The stock sensor is a narrowband.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

is there anyway to make it wideband cuz i want to install this gauge

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've got the answer, but you're not going to like it....

YES, you can add a wideband to your car! The problem is that there is more to it than just adding a sensor and making a couple wiring changes. You also need a controller.

The least expensive option I know of would be one of the gauges by ProSport. Including gauge you're looking around $220. This is only if you're only looking for a gauge, not programmable and I don't believe it has additional outputs which you'll want if you end up adding a system that can integrate with a wideband such as the MAFT Pro.

Now, since you've already got the gauge you could get the LC-1 by Innovate Motorsports for $199. Look around and you may be able to find it on sale. The LC-1 is a popular and reliable unit, I own one myself. You may add an aftermarket gauge or Innovate's gauge for an additional price.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

alright i will look into getting one of those. um does it just hook right up or so i have to do a bunch of wiring? and does it do anything performance wise? and also do you know how i can test my oxygen sensor? cuz im getting the error code that says it aint working. thanx for your help

oh and thank you so much for your help i always appreciate someone who is just there to help people in need

Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraluver4life View Post
alright i will look into getting one of those. um does it just hook right up or so i have to do a bunch of wiring?
If you're just installing it along side your existing system (not intent on wiring it in to replace the narrow band) then all you need to do it run the wires to where they need to be and connect power and ground. You will need to have another bung for the sensor to screw into welded into the exhaust down pipe.

Quote:
and does it do anything performance wise?
Not by itself. The wide band is a diagnostic tool; the same as the narrow band. Some systems (such as the stock ECU (TCCS), certain piggybacks and all stand alone EMS's) use the data received from an oxygen sensor to monitor exhaust gasses and adjust fueling and other related functions in order to maintain a specific threshold.

The main difference between a wide band and narrow band oxygen sensor is that a narrowband sensor is really only able to read a very small area. It reads for Lambda or stoichiometric: an optimal burn. With gasoline this represents 14.7 parts of air to every 1 part of gasoline. The problem with narrow band sensors is that as you get away from Lambda the sensor isn't capable of reading anything other than "rich" or "lean". A narrow band sensor is more of a switch; rich, optimal, lean.... that's all. The ECU adjusts fueling to keep this stoichiometric mixture by adding and removing fuel as the narrow band's signal bounces back and forth from rich to lean very rapidly (That's also why AFR gauges don't serve any purpose with a narrow band sensor).

A wide band can read a great deal of the spectrum and report conditions outside of Lambda with a great deal of accuracy; Unfortunately, the sensors are more expensive, delicate and require more hardware to control and calibrate.

Here is a *decent* article on oxygen sensors on Wikipedia.

Quote:
and also do you know how i can test my oxygen sensor? cuz im getting the error code that says it aint working. thanx for your help
Whenever you're asking for help with something post any error codes you may have (whether you think they're related or not). What is the error code you've received?

Oxygen Sensor Testing:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?S=FI&P=119
You DO need an analog meter to test it.

Quote:
oh and thank you so much for your help i always appreciate someone who is just there to help people in need
Sure thing.

Do me a favor, please; work on your capitalization, punctuation and grammar... it makes it easier for me to help you if I don't have to reread posts.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

Alright, and one more thing. you said another bung would have to be welded to the exhaust for the oxygen sensor to screw into, where exactly does that go, i.e. on downpipe? after downpipe? after test pipe?
Do i have to put another oxygen sensor in or can i just replace the stock sensor?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I killed a WB sensor by placing to too close to the manifold on my N/A. A lot of people have no problem placing their WB in the elbow after the turbo though. You definitely want it before the cat, as close to the header as possible without it getting too hot. From asking around it's very common to place it in the downpipe right after it bends under the firewall (that's where mine was on my N/A setup and where it is on my turbo setup).

As for replacing the stock sensor or adding another... depends entirely on how you're setting up and tuning the car. Some setups require both, some require only the wideband, and others can use the wideband to supply a stock NB signal to the ECU. For your purposes you may replace the stock NB sensor with the WB and program one of the LC-1's (or whatever WB you go with, as long as it has programmable outputs or a NB output) to supply a NB signal to one of the two analog outputs and the other will supply a WB signal to the gauge.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
supra shaun
Stock

supra shaun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
If you're just installing it along side your existing system (not intent on wiring it in to replace the narrow band) then all you need to do it run the wires to where they need to be and connect power and ground. You will need to have another bung for the sensor to screw into welded into the exhaust down pipe.

Not by itself. The wide band is a diagnostic tool; the same as the narrow band. Some systems (such as the stock ECU (TCCS), certain piggybacks and all stand alone EMS's) use the data received from an oxygen sensor to monitor exhaust gasses and adjust fueling and other related functions in order to maintain a specific threshold.

The main difference between a wide band and narrow band oxygen sensor is that a narrowband sensor is really only able to read a very small area. It reads for Lambda or stoichiometric: an optimal burn. With gasoline this represents 14.7 parts of air to every 1 part of gasoline. The problem with narrow band sensors is that as you get away from Lambda the sensor isn't capable of reading anything other than "rich" or "lean". A narrow band sensor is more of a switch; rich, optimal, lean.... that's all. The ECU adjusts fueling to keep this stoichiometric mixture by adding and removing fuel as the narrow band's signal bounces back and forth from rich to lean very rapidly (That's also why AFR gauges don't serve any purpose with a narrow band sensor).

A wide band can read a great deal of the spectrum and report conditions outside of Lambda with a great deal of accuracy; Unfortunately, the sensors are more expensive, delicate and require more hardware to control and calibrate.

Here is a *decent* article on oxygen sensors on Wikipedia.

Whenever you're asking for help with something post any error codes you may have (whether you think they're related or not). What is the error code you've received?

Oxygen Sensor Testing:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?S=FI&P=119
You DO need an analog meter to test it.

Sure thing.

Do me a favor, please; work on your capitalization, punctuation and grammar... it makes it easier for me to help you if I don't have to reread posts.
if im not mistaken the 87 7mgte doesnt use an o2 sensor
supra shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
supra shaun
Stock

supra shaun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra shaun View Post
if im not mistaken the 87 7mgte doesnt use an o2 sensor
so an o2 setup would be seprate and for monitoring purposes only
supra shaun is offline   Reply With Quote