Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
kewlcoconut
3" Exhaust

kewlcoconut is on a distinguished road
Default TPS or Knock Sensor??

My supra has been acting up lately. It is idling pretty weird. If I drive it for about 10 minutes or more and then turn it off, and start it up again about 20-30 mins later, the RPM goes up and down like the car is breathing really heavy. The RPM needle just goes up and down really heavily and the car sounds like it is going to stall. Once in a while it will fluctuate so close to 0 RPM that it will just stall. My engine light is on, and it says my knock sensor and TPS have errors. I took it to my mechanic, and he checked it out, and he said it was the knock sensor. But I want to make sure thats the case.

Any help/suggestions??
kewlcoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

knock sensors generally don't cause erratic idle... they just throw a check engine light and retard the timing until the knock sensor is repaired

i would check your tps
www.supratsrm.com

under efi> throttlebody

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
kewlcoconut
3" Exhaust

Ok, well I guess that I read the codes wrong when I diagnosed it myself. I thought I was getting the TPS and Knock Sensor code. It was only the knock sensor. My mechanic fixed the knock sensor. Apparantly it was in two pieces and looked like it had been hit or something. The car runs better with the sensor in place, BUT i still have that problem!

I am stumped on what it could be. I have no engine light on, but it still breathes like it has severe asthma or something. I thought it might be a battery recharge problem, and i checked everything. The alternator is only a few months old and it was doing this before I got the new alternator. So that rules it out. The battery is fairly new as well. And the throttle body was cleaned out as well and the TPS is working fine. So its not a problem with wiring, at least i dont think it is. And I checked over and over for cracks and holes in vaccuum tubes and the intake tube. I am STUMPED!!!!

EDIT
-------------------
Could this just be a really bad case of heatsoak?? I sure dont have problems with overheating or anything. Im running the stock fan in my 7MGE and it seems fine. But when i turn it off for a while and turn it back on about 20-30mins later, its like the battery isnt charging, or its just overheated or something is causing it to breathe and die like it does. I dont know.
-------------------

Guidance please?

Last edited by kewlcoconut; 09-28-2005 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

recheck diagnostic codes and post up the numbers

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

You could have something blocking the intake somewhere, OR you may have a blocked cat. converter or muffler. Timing could be way too retarded. Thes cars do slip their timing belts after they get old and some of the time the car will move but barley, or not at all.

All I can think of for now. S_girl has a good plan too.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

supraflymkiii is on a distinguished road
Smile

This same problem happened to me right after I put my new engine in. I thought it had something to do with the MAFS but it turned out that the dashpot was out of adjustment. So if you just mess around with the adjusting screws on the throttle body you should be able to fix the problem.
supraflymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #7
kewlcoconut
3" Exhaust

hmmm well i will try what you said about adjusting the screws. hopefully it will work out.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

the idle screw & afm screws are set
unless someone has fiddled with them previously

do a diagnostic and tell us the codes and then we can help you more specifically

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #9
kewlcoconut
3" Exhaust

well i dont have any error codes at all. it was all fixed. but this problem persists. there is definetly something wrong though. it was never like this before.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

it seems as tho you are talking 3rd person.... did someone else do your diagnostics & repair? or just repair?

if you are unsure on how to do diagnostics yourself there are plenty of ppl here including myself that can help you out

so... we'll start from square 1 and ignore tps & knock sensor

have you tried looking for leaks? intake manifold, vacuum lines etc?

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!