Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission rant, help! Need advice or anything, asap

well recently, i went to go change my transmission fluid,
did all the work to change it. drove it home and about an hour later there was transmission fluid all over the ground..
so immediately i squeeazed my way under the car and found out that a bolt broke off and 2 bolts were loose. my bad right? didnt check them all close enough
the next day i take it back to the shop and put it on the hoist, the mechanic told me that i need to tap it out. (i told him i should reverse tap it cuz it would be easier, and he said no it wont work....so i didnt argue and just did it his way)
so i started drilling into the bolt so i can tap it out, the mechanic came back to check on what i was doing and he said i drilled crooked so now he had to widen the hole to tap it and widen it to get another bolt in... he does that, puts the pan back on and i tighten all the bolts and lower the hoist. i start my car and transmission fluid is spraying out, (like it was connected to a pressure hose) so i leave it on the hoist and let it go. i talk to him on the phone and ask why oil is spraying everywhere and he says i drilled into the transmission. a month later i tow it home. and at this point im wondering why its leaking, like i get into depth and search for the spot its leaking from. immediately when i get under the car and i look above the new bolt that he tapped and put in, and i see a hole right above it.. i look closely and see that its bigger than the drill i was using to drill out the bolt in the first place. me and my friend(the mechanics son) are trying to figure out why this hole is so big.... it turns out, by further looking into it, when the mechanic widen the hole and threaded it to make a bolt fit he drilled into the transmission when the car starts the fluid just sprays out of that hole.. theres is my story on my transmission......

the reason i told you that is becuz it helps me explain why im asking this question....

im to the point where i need to get my car running i got school, work and college are coming very quick, and there are threee daily driver for one car..when this problem first happened i wanted to do a manual swap.. well idk if thats gonna happen becuz i dont know a single thing about taking an auto trans out and putting the clutch kit in a new manual trans, and then bolting the manual one back up to the engine...

my question is this...
i dont know much about how to take the transmission off, how do i go about doing that?
second, how do i go about installing a new clutch kit in a manual trans and bolting that up?
can i do it at home in my garage... well i know i can but the real question is
can a person with no transmission replacment experience do this?
thanks in advance and thanks for listening to my rant also

PS please dont tell me that i need to look in the forums for a how to do on this stuff..i did and nothin comes up on it, none like a in depth or a how to.. just some things like "...you gotta unbolt the bolts fromt the engine.." i know theres more to that... please im in a deep situation and i really need your guys' help. please help me out the best you can.
thanks to all..

and if you think i should take another route, please advise on that,
some pics of the hole

i really want turbo
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
ochowdero
12psi boost

the pics are as best as i can get...

i really want turbo
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
ochowdero
12psi boost

before anyone yells at me i found a post with it
uhm question

is it still the same or basically the same for an auto trans?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=MT&P=4

and someone with no experience for installing a clutch kit ain a manual trans can it be possible for me too?

i really want turbo
Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
ochowdero
12psi boost

still didnt find a removal for automatic, only manualll

i really want turbo

Last edited by ochowdero; 02-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

Here is the how to for the auto and to do the 5speed swap you need.
•master
•slave
•lines between the master and slave
•clutch pedal
•shifter
•Transmission
•front part of drive shaft
•flywheel
•clutch and pressure plate
And a few other parts that I can't think of.

Also if you do a R154 swap get all the part that match That transmission and the same if u do the w58.

Last edited by Sonyps307; 02-26-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

Conga1991 is on a distinguished road

You also need to replace your wiring harness since your's is an auto you will need a manual, unless you like to bypass and splice a shit ton of wires. but easier to replace the harness for a manual. also get the same year as your car.

you're also better putting it up on a lift to get under it and take the 8 bolts off. personal experience of being under a car and taking it off was a pain.

not sure what tranny you're going to put it, but whatever one you get get the flywheel and clutch for that tranny, they have different bolts holes and wont match if you get two different ones. like if you get a w58 flywheel wont work with the R154, not sure if you didnt know that.

Get Redline tranny fluid, heard it was the best but I'm using Royal Purple and works pretty well for me, shifts like butter =]
Conga1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
ochowdero
12psi boost

im assuming its plausible for me to do it on my own.
with no experience,
i located all the parts just not sure if i wanna do it yet, plus i only have 550 $

i really want turbo
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

Conga1991 is on a distinguished road

If you have the money might as well get the parts that you already found and have for them. getting the wiring harness and transmission are hard to find. The other stuff are easy though.

Also if you have a buddy or two to help it will make things a lot easier. The 4 top bolts are a pain in the @$$ since you have to unbolt the tranny and let it tilt all the way down and use 5-6 extensions to be able to turn them a lot.
Conga1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The wire harness requires very little modification, not at all worth trying to find a good m/t harness IMHO.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
ochowdero
12psi boost

i need help making a decision...

i need my car in about week and a half.

should i just replace the auto tranny with a used one(auto)?
or should i go ahead and do the manual swap? (i really want it manual)
i just dont wanna screw my self over

i have a transmission(w58) at a yard that was in a wreck and can get a oem clutch kit for 120.00
that together is around 420.00 and i have around 520.00

money wise the swap looks feasible.. im just afraid im going to ruin my manual trans, or my car..
and also
im doing this in my garage,
where do i jack up my car at?
where i have it now gives me lil room to work.. and how high?

thanks.. cre i didnt think i needed a M/T wiring harness... also what do i modd on it? or what do you mean by that?

i really want turbo