Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #21
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

He's running a 7M-GTE.... thanks for being ever so helpful though.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
He's running a 7M-GTE.... thanks for being ever so helpful though.
lol, so for whatever reason my oil dipstick is not reading out properly. It said full but when I changed the oil it was like 2qt low. Wtf... It seems to be seated properly too...

ya the knock came back with a vengeance. I thought I was going to lose her. so I figured lets try changing the oil and sure enough the knock quieted down a ton. Its there a little but still but much much less. So I think I need a little more oil. Lol, but I can't get an accurate reading. Im going to get a new dip from driftmotion but not till next month. Any ideas?
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If it's knocking that bad and you're losing that much oil I'm sorry to say the damage is done my friend.... rebuild time. Before you even bother ordering a new dipstick, drain the oil and measure how much you get back out; It will be very obvious if you're missing more than 1/2qt.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #24
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
If it's knocking that bad and you're losing that much oil I'm sorry to say the damage is done my friend.... rebuild time. Before you even bother ordering a new dipstick, drain the oil and measure how much you get back out; It will be very obvious if you're missing more than 1/2qt.
DUDE! I drove my car like 8 miles.. Boom! LOCKED UP!!! Ya, the jiffy lube that changed it was saying they had a hard time getting off the oil filter due to the position and size of the down pipe. They finally got it. I asked them to make sure they get it on tight as they said they would and apparently did.. APPARENTLY NOT!

So I get out of the car while i'm stuck in the middle of a huge interection on a HILL! Call AAA, have it towed to the mechanic. He said he would see EXACTLY what happened and get after the jiffy lube. Luckily he knows the owner of the jiffy lube from previous instances of sports car oil changes gone wrong.

It was obvious by the smell to me that this had to do with them. Idk what kind of knock I had. It was not that bad.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

That's BS man... unless there was oil pouring down the side of the filter or they flat out forgot to put it on I VERY seriously doubt they did jack wrong (this time anyway).

You already had a knock, just because it disappeared (VERY briefly) before this happened doesn't rule out mechanical failure due to wear or the fact that (as you admit) you were running her WAY low on oil...

Suck it up man... it's quite likely you're the one at fault here.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #26
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
That's BS man... unless there was oil pouring down the side of the filter or they flat out forgot to put it on I VERY seriously doubt they did jack wrong (this time anyway).

You already had a knock, just because it disappeared (VERY briefly) before this happened doesn't rule out mechanical failure due to wear or the fact that (as you admit) you were running her WAY low on oil...

Suck it up man... it's quite likely you're the one at fault here.

I was prepared to suck it up the moment i got stuck.. Then i smelled the burning "SHITTY" pensoil.. Seen some dripping from the oil filter.. Some was on the flatbed truck too..

I didn't say that before because I wanted to have the tech tell me for sure before I got blasted.. Lol, too late for that..
Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #27
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Sorry man, but at this point I'm waiting for the mechanic to call me personally to tell me you didn't just throw a rod through the block or oil pan. :P

And BTW, Pennzoil makes two of the best full synthetic oils (that really are synthetic) that you can run.

Any way about it, I hope the engine isn't trashed... Be a shame to lose another 7M, as they'll be getting scarce soon.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 AM   #28
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Sorry man, but at this point I'm waiting for the mechanic to call me personally to tell me you didn't just throw a rod through the block or oil pan. :P

And BTW, Pennzoil makes two of the best full synthetic oils (that really are synthetic) that you can run.

Any way about it, I hope the engine isn't trashed... Be a shame to lose another 7M, as they'll be getting scarce soon.
You think that JIFFY LUBE uses the good stuff.. naa, they gave me the shitty pennzoil. Lol, well if he calls you first then I know it was you 2 that set me up! DAMN YOU BOTH!

Naa, don't think I threw a rod. It shut down when I was turning at maybe 1k rpm. No loud noises, just.. !!!!!LOCK DOWN!!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #29
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

I was looking around and figured that I could get the parts on DriftMotion for my rebuild. It will run me about $643?

7M Engine Gasket Set $99.00
NPR 7M-GE Piston Set $120.00
Freeze plug set $30.00
7m Clevite77 Bearing Set $125.00
7M Timing Belt $34.00
7M-GTE Turbo Oil Pump $235.00
$643.00

That's all I need for a basic rebuild?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #30
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Machine work... If it seized it's going to need to be machined, if not replaced.

Don't forget all new seals. Might as well replace the timing belt pulley before it comes apart or get the walls tack welded to ensure they don't come off. Replace the valve stem seals while the head's off. Get the head dye and vacuum tested. Make sure NOTHING is warped. You'll need to have the block inspected to make sure the cylinders aren't out of round. The crank is most likely going to need reworked and you'll need a different size bearing. If I think of anything else I'll post it. You'll know more once you get it apart though.

Tip Jar --->