Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

supraturbo_mk3 is on a distinguished road
Default 87 Supra N/A to JDM 7MGTE and R154 Swap Complete

I just picked up an 87 N/A supra with a JDM 7MGTE swap complete running just fine with a R154 transmission

Now I do have some concerns, it still has the 7MGE wire harness. Wouldn't that cause some problem's?

I believe it has the 7MGE fuel pump will that cause a problem?

It still has the 7MGE MAF sensor, what will that do?

7MGE ECU is that a problem?

I also noticed it has a distributor instead of the coil pack is this hurting the 7MGTE?

What ever the case I'm just glad to be back in a turbo supra!!
supraturbo_mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

Well the wiring can be cut and made to work with the gte For the rest I don't know
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Running on GE electronics isn't a good idea. They've got lower capacity injectors, a lower volume fuel pump and a much more aggressive timing map. If you don't have an aftermarket fuel controller installed and properly tuned then you're screaming for a melted piston. Not all GTE ECU's will accept GE connectors (and none are wired the same)... Pre-89 GTE ECU's will accept the connectors from a GE's wire harness (as mentioned before it needs to be rewired though and IMO it's not worth the trouble).

Nothing wrong with the distributor or VAFM on a GTE, that's how Toyota set up a number of their boosted engines... it's the ECU's fuel maps, the injectors and the timing maps that are the biggest concerns.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Running on GE electronics isn't a good idea. They've got lower capacity injectors, a lower volume fuel pump and a much more aggressive timing map. If you don't have an aftermarket fuel controller installed and properly tuned then you're screaming for a melted piston. Not all GTE ECU's will accept GE connectors (and none are wired the same)... Pre-89 GTE ECU's will accept the connectors from a GE's wire harness (as mentioned before it needs to be rewired though and IMO it's not worth the trouble).

Nothing wrong with the distributor or VAFM on a GTE, that's how Toyota set up a number of their boosted engines... it's the ECU's fuel maps, the injectors and the timing maps that are the biggest concerns.
Thanks for the reply for a minute there I was beginning to think no body was going to be able to give me some answers

So your saying I should install a GTE ECU and wire harness?

Instead of replacing the wire harness and ECU could I get away with just buying a piggy back system?
It does make sense I should be worried about it running probably really lean

I should also put a walboro 255 fuel pump in just to be safe

How can I tell the difference between GE and GTE injector's?

Last edited by supraturbo_mk3; 01-10-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A piggyback is an option but there are some things to keep in mind... mainly that the two ECUs have very different ignition advance maps... you're going to either want to pull timing across the board (a waste as it'll cost you low end power) or you'll want a piggyback which offers timing control or add an aftermarket timing system to the mix like the MSD 6.... The MAFT Pro is a piggyback which offers fuel control, timing control and boost control.

As for finding out which injectors, get the part number off of one... it's stamped in the black plastic part of the body.

Do yourself a favor and get a wideband sensor on there as soon as you can so you know you're not running lean. I'd recommend the Innovate Motorsport LC-1 as the least expensive option.... and it's a VERY good unit. (plus it'll integrate with any standalone system or the MAFT Pro)
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

Quote:
A piggyback is an option but there are some things to keep in mind... mainly that the two ECUs have very different ignition advance maps... you're going to either want to pull timing across the board (a waste as it'll cost you low end power) or you'll want a piggyback which offers timing control or add an aftermarket timing system to the mix like the MSD 6.... The MAFT Pro is a piggyback which offers fuel control, timing control and boost control.

As for finding out which injectors, get the part number off of one... it's stamped in the black plastic part of the body.

Do yourself a favor and get a wideband sensor on there as soon as you can so you know you're not running lean. I'd recommend the Innovate Motorsport LC-1 as the least expensive option.... and it's a VERY good unit. (plus it'll integrate with any standalone system or the MAFT
Pro)
Wow thanks a lot you have been very helpful....I'm pricing the MAFT Pro and wideband sensor to see what I'm looking at...After I get these installed and tuned I feel a lot safer while driving my car....Will having the MAFT Pro eliminate the need for a fuel cut defender?.....I guess this is going to put a hold on me replacing my HG and head studs....I just want to get this engine reliable first and fore most.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The GE electronics don't have a fuel cut as it is. The MAFT Pro does have the ability to function as a FCD though but it's not a good idea to use such devices.... fuel cut's there to save your ass.

You're not looking at the easiest route, but it's the most flexible that's still affordable... plus you can run a speed/density setup so no airflow meter restricting the intake. Setting up S/D can be tricky at first though but you have to run in that mode if you want to take advantage of the boost control capabilities of the MAFT Pro. You've got a LOT of reading ahead of you (no matter what system you choose).

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #8
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

Quote:
The GE electronics don't have a fuel cut as it is. The MAFT Pro does have the ability to function as a FCD though but it's not a good idea to use such devices.... fuel cut's there to save your ass.

You're not looking at the easiest route, but it's the most flexible that's still affordable... plus you can run a speed/density setup so no airflow meter restricting the intake. Setting up S/D can be tricky at first though but you have to run in that mode if you want to take advantage of the boost control capabilities of the MAFT Pro. You've got a LOT of reading ahead of you (no matter what system you choose).
Yeah I see I have a lot to learn....Are the pre tunes you can download any good?.....Good thing I don't have to spend the extra $100 on a fuel cut defender....I won't be turning up the boost until I get a walboro 255, bigger injectors, the MAFT Pro, and the wideband sensor.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I should add that I do recommend running the GTE's electronics though... MAFT Pro or not. As i said the fuel cut is a safety, but the second knock sensor is also very good when tuning yourself. Additionally, It's MUCH easier to get a base tune if you know that you can zero out all of the fuel maps and that anything that's not right is something that needs to be corrected in a main configuration of the piggyback. I've worked on a number of these cars with the MAFT Pro and the GTE's were always easier for me.... but I'm the only person who was running it on a boosted GE with GE electronics.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

Quote:
I should add that I do recommend running the GTE's electronics though... MAFT Pro or not. As i said the fuel cut is a safety, but the second knock sensor is also very good when tuning yourself. Additionally, It's MUCH easier to get a base tune if you know that you can zero out all of the fuel maps and that anything that's not right is something that needs to be corrected in a main configuration of the piggyback. I've worked on a number of these cars with the MAFT Pro and the GTE's were always easier for me.... but I'm the only person who was running it on a boosted GE with GE electronics.
Ok so I should get a JDM 5spd ECU.....Will that plug into the GE wire harness?
I'm assuming there is no plug into the GE harness for the 2nd knock sensor?