Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #31
zby67
3" Exhaust

zby67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
So I replaced the fuses on the drivers side, rechecked the fuses up front, and tested the battery. They are all good.

And yet the only thing that works are the front lights, the hazard lights, and the horn. Nothing else, not the dash, not the heat, not even the back tail lights.

I feel like a complete idiot, but where exactly is the starter, and how do I get to it? I tried running down the battery cable, but once it went under the engine I lost total track of it.

Also, the steering wheel is a pain to turn, I have to force it to move an inch. Could this be because of the alarm that someone mentioned earlier?
the starter is on the side of the engine. ware the bat sits. its kinda hard to get to but iv had to switch one out twice. the other thing i would check is the cables and connections to the bat i would even try a new alternator and when trying to get her started leave the bat on a charger so it doesn't drain. the two other things i would check out are the starter relay and the inanition switch. the replay is on the passenger side kick pan. if thoughts don't work i would check all your connections make sure there getting power. and as for the steering weal being a b*tch that is most likely your rack and pinion.

hope you figure out what the problem is!
Mike
Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #32
supra_star818
Stock

supra_star818 is on a distinguished road
Default help!!!

i have a problem with my 1991 supra as well. i juss recently ran into this problem too. every time i turn on my car and rev it the check engine light comes on and the car wont boost the way it should. it hapens everytime i turn on the car. any idea wat it could be???
supra_star818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 AM   #33
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_star818 View Post
i have a problem with my 1991 supra as well. i juss recently ran into this problem too. every time i turn on my car and rev it the check engine light comes on and the car wont boost the way it should. it hapens everytime i turn on the car. any idea wat it could be???
ok first is dont post questions of your own on someone else thread. (but i would start with the throttle body then make sure ur getting fuel)
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #34
Reverb
Stock

Reverb is on a distinguished road

So here's an update.

I got all my electronics working. The problem was a wire with two paddles on the ends were used in place of a fuse, and the wire was broken. As long as it is pressed firmly down, it works perfectly.

Which brings me to the problems, I know my starter is locked up. But it also appears as if the fuel pump is messed too.

So yeah, money money money.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #35
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So here's an update.

I got all my electronics working. The problem was a wire with two paddles on the ends were used in place of a fuse, and the wire was broken. As long as it is pressed firmly down, it works perfectly.

Which brings me to the problems, I know my starter is locked up. But it also appears as if the fuel pump is messed too.

Yes.. but at least you know a couple warts are being taken care of. thats how I approach all my car fixes.. hehe.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #36
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
So here's an update.

at least its bringing you closer to fixing it! and trust me well worth the money when she's finished! specaly kicking the shit out of a 95 V6 camaro lol or a 92 corvette
Old 10-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
Metaphysico
Stock

Metaphysico is on a distinguished road

Wow this whole thread got so off topic and the OP did not get much of help.

Anyways, first off if the wire you are talking about is in the fuse panel under the hood that is how it is, they put a fuseable link wire in instead of a fuse, I don't know why seems like a bad idea. Anyways, the horn flashing and the horn going off is the alarm activating, on these cars they have a immobilizer alarm system built in. So if the alarm is activated, even if it turns off after the 2 mins of being on, it will shut off most of the systems of the car including the fuel pump and the starter. Sometimes when a battery is disconnected for a long time the alarm gets tripped hooking up power again.

Now with all that said your problem is the alarm is going off, you need to reset the alarm. To do this close the hood, hatch and both doors, lock the passenger door then the driver door with the key. The red light on the dash should come on solid. Wait for 20 seconds till the light starts to flash. Once its flashing unlock the driver door with the key. This will turn the alarm off which will allow the circuit opening relay to start working and give power to all the systems in the car. Now if you unlock the door with the key and the alarm turns back on or if the alarm does not go out when you lock the doors with the key that means you have a bad door lock sense switch which is attached to the back of the lock cyl in the door. It is a round thing with 2 wires coming out of it.

One problem you have is if the fuseable link wire was blown that probably means someone hooked up the battery backwards. So you may have other fuses blown, check the efi fuse in the driver kick panel that is one that usually goes when someone puts a battery in backwards along with some others.

GL on getting it working. I will be around now and then to hopefully help you fix it all if you have not all ready.
Metaphysico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #38
ReelBandit
Stock

ReelBandit is on a distinguished road

You will find that the parts are not cheap for this car.... I agree with META, it sounds like the alarm has you messed up. Electrical problems usally take more patience than money. Welcome to the club and we will do our best to help.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

your right to sell your car.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #40
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
your right to sell your car.
Dont know who that was directed at.. lol. I believe the OP is going to tuff it out?

Just wondering.. has the engine ever turned over? Wondering if it is a seized situation.

Very little history, no pics, and your talking with limited knowledge of how to solve problems that can be more than just a single issue. There is an online TSRM (service repair manual) that you can look at as well with info in it (when you are trying to identify/locate things).

I read earlier on that the steering wheel was hard to turn. You are aware that its the power steering pump only functions while the engine is running? (Just asking because it sounds like you are turning the wheel with the engine not running.. and it wont turn easy. If the engine is running, the pump may not be putting out any pressure. Mine has the pump disconnected on my 87.. I can drive it.. but the steering is not an easy chore)

Just wondering if you are perhaps approaching the car repairs properly.
ie.. what are the fluid levels if the car has sat for along time. hose condition? wire condition? (cracked, dirty, clean... )

When asking for assistance, the more information you can provide, the better people can assist. Everyone is sitting behind a monitor without your car sitting in front of them. You can also see if there is anyone on the forums near you that can pop by and peek. An experienced person can give you a lot better advice standing in front of the car.

All worth a shot.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote