Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   So I bought a 1986.5 Supra, and I have a few problems. (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/17912-so-i-bought-a-1986-5-supra-and-i-have-a-few-problems.html)

Reverb 10-06-2010 09:49 PM

So I bought a 1986.5 Supra, and I have a few problems.

Well, the biggest is is that I'm about stupid when it comes to cars.

But other than that, let me start this off by saying I bought an '86.5 MKIII for $500. I figured it was a good enough deal, so I got it.

So on to the problem. It didn't have a battery, so it was replaced. Then came the fuses. And now it will not start, not even turn over. But the horn will (barely) honk and the lights will come on and go up and down.

I'm expecting it to be something so simple it's crazy, but could anyone possibly help?

kingison 10-07-2010 12:24 AM

Expect plenty more problems when you fix this one. Sorry but it is what it is. I figure now i was better off with car payments than this thing.

Travis89Turbo 10-07-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverb (Post 88601)
Well, the biggest is is that I'm about stupid when it comes to cars.

But other than that, let me start this off by saying I bought an '86.5 MKIII for $500. I figured it was a good enough deal, so I got it.

So on to the problem. It didn't have a battery, so it was replaced. Then came the fuses. And now it will not start, not even turn over. But the horn will (barely) honk and the lights will come on and go up and down.

I'm expecting it to be something so simple it's crazy, but could anyone possibly help?

Okay. Where to start. First check the voltage at the battery with a volt meter. That would be the first thing I would suspect.. then check the fuses on the deivers side kick panel.. and of course the ones under the hood... I kno u said u did this but do it again. Its real easy to miss one.. get back with me

Reverb 10-07-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingison (Post 88607)
Expect plenty more problems when you fix this one. Sorry but it is what it is. I figure now i was better off with car payments than this thing.

Fixing it is partly why I bought it. I mean, I have to start somewhere, and why not on a car I've wanted for ages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo (Post 88609)
Okay. Where to start. First check the voltage at the battery with a volt meter. That would be the first thing I would suspect.. then check the fuses on the deivers side kick panel.. and of course the ones under the hood... I kno u said u did this but do it again. Its real easy to miss one.. get back with me

It's a new battery, so does it still need it's voltage checked? Or does a volt meter do something completely different from what I think?

There's more on the driver's side? How many fuse boxes does the car have? Also, does it have any indication of the fuses it needs, in case some are missing? If not, could anyone provide a diagram or something?

And the one's under the hood are good. I've checked that two or three times since I replaced it. Only one's I'm kinda iffy about are the two big ones, which I was told I'd probably have to get from a dealer.

Travis89Turbo 10-07-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverb (Post 88610)
Fixing it is partly why I bought it. I mean, I have to start somewhere, and why not on a car I've wanted for ages?

It's a new battery, so does it still need it's voltage checked? Or does a volt meter do something completely different from what I think?

There's more on the driver's side? How many fuse boxes does the car have? Also, does it have any indication of the fuses it needs, in case some are missing? If not, could anyone provide a diagram or something?

And the one's under the hood are good. I've checked that two or three times since I replaced it. Only one's I'm kinda iffy about are the two big ones, which I was told I'd probably have to get from a dealer.

The ones on the drivers side kick panel has some main fuses which power the ignition and efi computer. check the link below and go forward to see all the fuses. And click page back to see location. Also bookmark this page it is the mkiii supra service repair manual. Or known as tsrm

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=BE&P=13

Don't ever assume something new can't be bad. Especially a batt. But id check fuses first. And a volt meter just checks voltage. But they are very handy and necessary when troubleshooting

fantasma87 10-07-2010 05:43 PM

hey reverb try to find the post that talks about the alarm system, it happend to me before and that was it. GOOD JOB on having the supra , you will enjoy it. if i`m not mistaken on the bottom of the steering wheel colum theres a small black box with a lot of cables , i`m not sure but i believe that the blue and orage cable it`s the one you have to cut and ground the one out from the car not the box, but verify and hope that solves your problem. don`t let simple stuff ruin your project. Good luck . Q

Grandavi 10-07-2010 06:18 PM

500.00 is chumpchange.. you can part it out and make lots more.. hehe.

I am in same boat though.. wanted the car since new (actually wanted the MKII .. burgandy.. but ended up with the MKIII because of the targa and turbo). Definitely worth the coin in my opinion.

I believe if the alternator or starter wires are not connected properly (tightly and cleanly) this can cause the same issue as well. Also, the ground wire to the body should be attached firmly and cleanly. My 90 wouldnt turn over because the ground wire had actually popped out of the cable going to the battery.

Sometimes, pictures of the car/engine bay help us guess along with you. :)

fantasma87 10-07-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandavi (Post 88641)
500.00 is chumpchange.. You can part it out and make lots more.. Hehe.

Sometimes, pictures of the car/engine bay help us guess along with you. :)

words with light and hope !!!!!!!

Metaphysico 10-08-2010 03:23 PM

first note the two large fuses you are talking about in the fuse block in the engine bay may the the headlight ones depending on which you are talking about. They only get power when the headlights are on.

A few common problems, starter relay not getting enough power to the starter. And alarm system tripped. First for the alarm system, shut the hood hatch and doors, lock both the driver and passenger door with the key, you should see red security light on the dash come on, after 15 seconds it will start to blink this means the alarm is armed. Then unlock the door with the key to turn the alarm off. This will reset the system if it has been tripped.

Second for the starter problem, take a wire and attach it to the starter signal wire, it is the small wire that is a pain to get to. I just stick a wire into the back of the plastic connector. Then tough the other end to the battery positive terminal. This will engage the starter, so if its a stick shift MAKE SURE ITS IN NEUTRAL. Or a auto make sure its in park.

Lastly give us some more info, do the lights work, does the dash light up and gauges work. Ect. The more info the more we can help.

Ranma 10-08-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingison (Post 88607)

Got my Supra as a fun ride, not for transportation. Have my 2009 Honda Civic EXL for basic transport. (no payments)
If you want a cheap ride, why don't you go out and buy a used Chev Cobalt? Get that great GM feeling!