Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Supra Snake Hissing

Well here we go again, just had head gasket check so that can't be it hopefully, but I popped my hood to start working on my AC compressor and I heard a hissing sound after returning from town. Trying to locate the sound it seems to be under the distributer and I found some slow droplets of water coming off the side of the block dripping a drop maybe once every 4 seconds beneath the exhaust manifold and to the right of the oil filter about 4 inches away toward the front of the car. I still have the same or near the same amount of radiator fluid so perhaps I have a hose going bad. I never replaced any of the hoses after 7 years of sitting so I am thinking this will be the first to blow....Oh Joy! I see that there is a metal water tube running behind the manifold. I suspect this first, what hoses are there? Any hints before I call my insurance company switch my insurance and drive my Geo? I guess I need to see a break down view cause it is hard to see in there with the distributer in the way. Finally get my car burped and I have to drain the damn thing for AC repair. Hoepfully it will be easier to burp when I get it back together.... Girfriend? Who has time? I am always working on my Supra and spending money on her!

Could it be an AC leak? Hmmm, Not sure it would drip fluid. There are some hoses coming down and off to the right of the distributer.

Any Ideas? Yes I know the cracked block syndrome don't think that would hiss, sounds like a cracked hose about to let loose.

Looking at the breakdown I can't tell if the tubes running behind the manifold is going directly back into the motor or if it uses hoses, I can only see the main hose, is this the only hose that could crack? Are the other hoses power steering? I would take a pic but my daughter overturned antifreeze into my rear seat and doused my $700 digital camera. Its not working just yet. Hoping it will dry out.

Thanks for your thoughts any help would be appreciated, Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dripper.jpg
Views:	4815
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	3221  

Last edited by batmmannn; 06-30-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: more info
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

well, replacing all the hoses is a pain in the ass but its well worth it as being stranded on the highway is not a head start.

it shouldnt be much to just buy some lengths for the sizes you need and then replace them ONE AT A TIME.
it will look good and you should be able to cancel out the hose theory if it continues.

did you get a compression check on head gasket??
because the hg blew on my samurai, and i knew right away because antifreeze started spraying out of my number 1 cylinder spark plug whole(it was not screwed in all the way).
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

My first thought is the rubber 90 degree hose that runs from that metal pipe you referenced to another line at or near the water pump. It runs directly underneath the water outlet housing and under the distributor....

I'll see if I can find a diagram of it, and I'll post back with my results.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

This diagram will have to work, kinda a big pic though. I suspect hose #16283 in the diagram
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

I was doing the same thing before I did the headgasket. The little leak here and there gets annoying. Now after doing everything at the same time, it starts up quick and doesn't leak anything and it runs smooth and won't overheat. Personally I like the fact that it is a reliable car that I can start and drive off and not worry.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Snake under the hood

I will keep that in mind and check that Thanks, I think however at least my first attempt will be the main lower radiator hose. It feels a little like soft aerated foam past the clamp and after getting the new replacement hose for $15 it is evident that the hose has swollen or stretched about 25% bigger to what it should be and is soft. The end of it is damp underneath though it is hard to tell cause after cool down no noise or leak was present and that area of the engine has oil build up from long time oil leaks that I just fixed. I will certainly inspect that hose you pointed out though. I'll let you guys know what I find. Check my post on AC conversion cause I am attempting my first evac and charge and wondering if I should go with the r-12 I have or the r134a conversion. I could use some advise. Thanks so much for the diagram. That helps.

UPDATE

REPLACED the lower radiator hose and it killed the snake all is well now... I wonder if this hose had been contributing to my overheating problem before?

Last edited by batmmannn; 07-01-2010 at 04:08 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road

my car seems to have a near identical problem as you described. It might be a little higher up in my engine. I have a full thread post here, and have not solved the problem yet. I am most likely replacing the upper 90 angle short hose just under the water housing / T Stat area. I hope it will solve my car hissing and blowing out 1 gallon of coolant in 10 minutes after overheating. I put in a brand new water pump (super super easy repair for anyone wondering - try this replacement on a damn Acura Integra that's never been changed or had it's timing belt replaced - the crank pulley bolt is impossible to remove - it's on at like 700 ft lbs from the factory).
and also a new T Stat, and both new gaskets, new alt belt and new A/C belt while I was at it hoping it would solve my leak which only leaks after I run the car 2000 rpms and above... It did not solve it, and I am scratching my head still... My lower hose is more or less as you described, a bit soft, foam corroded away near the clamp etc...
Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
fantasma87
3" Exhaust

fantasma87 is on a distinguished road

hey on my n/a supra that i have before that 90 degree angle hose was broken and it was dripping just like that until it exploded and i have antifreeze everywere. verify that hose , the one on the diagram. good luck . Q

ARMY STRONG !!

La fiebre Boricua Puerto Rico!!!
fantasma87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Metaphysico
Stock

Metaphysico is on a distinguished road

Here just put this in another post so its handy. The rusty pipe is were the 90 degree hose hooks to, you can see the hose under the pipe disconnected and sitting there. If I were you I would do what I did lol, replace the lower hose and the 90 degree at the same time since you have to take the same stuff apart to get to both. The 90 degree hose can be sourced from autozone or napa or anywhere just go in with the hose and tell them you want to see if they have anything that will match it in there hose section. Usually they just let me go back to the wall of hoses and match it myself because they dont want to. But should be able to match one for $15 at most, may have to cut it down from a longer one but not hard. I think I paid $7 for the one I got. Sorry didn't write down the part number. At some point you should just save up the money and replace every hose on the car, that is the best way to make it the most reliable and will only cost $100 or so for all of them. here is the pic

Metaphysico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default parts number for that 90 angle coolant hose in front under thermo

The part is: 16285 Toy part / Gates replacement part #18030.
I just got one at Robbins Auto Parts/ Federated Automotive for $7.39
I had to cut about a 1/2" - 3/4" off the long end to make it fit with a standard utility blade. It's a pretty good replacement part, very snug fitting.