Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No dlfred, it's not you....Just really feels like lately right after someone asks a question everyone sticks their fingering in their ears. I deal with with enough of this at work that I guess I'm expending the sum of my patience there. I'm sorry about that. I'm really not trying to attack anyone, just getting grumpy about the whole "but, but, but" replies with no supporting info ever posted instead (not that that would have made any difference, I too had my fingers in my ears). I definitely shouldn't have started complaining about people not searching for the right info right away... that was a knee-jerk reaction.

I don't think any losses experienced from removing this are considerable, but I can't be sure, mine is the only N/A I've ever removed it from but the intake was already significantly modified due to the removal of the VAFM. Personally, I feel the 7M-GE is a platform which was merely *pretty good* for its time; which left the factory putting down pretty close to it's limits. I've seen enough people prove that you can't gain even 10HP with any simple mod and others prove through their own disappointment that by dumping more than a few thousand dollars into the engine you'll still end up putting down under 300HP at the wheels.... so, do whatever it takes to make you like it, just don't do it for power gains and don't believe anyone who tells you these "free power adders" actually work... they don't.

Synopsis: I AM grumpy and bitter. Resonators are not always just an audible noise control. Ar filters open in the engine bay = BAD. Big after market parts manufacturers make and sell what people buy, not always what actually performs. And I need to take a vacation.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

My answer to the open filter in a hot engine bay. Atleast a start for now. And I don't know why the K&Ns get so much heat because the TRD filter I took out of my Celica seems to be made of the same wire mesh and cotton filter material.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Just because Toyota licenses the TRD name out for a product (no, Toyota doesn't actually make any TRD parts) it doesn't mean it's good for anything.

Boxed like that you're alright. A fully enclosed and insulated box would be even better but that's miles above what most people run and not "open" like i was talking about.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #14
dlfred
3" Exhaust

dlfred is on a distinguished road
Default My Knee Jerked

CRE.

You know what, I should apologize as well. I have been working with the retail public for over 30 years. This should be a place we can do some venting and/ or ranting and get away with it. As usual if I had thought my post through it may have sounded different.

Your posts speak for themselves, thanks dude.

I found a elbow and union seals that should work from Auto Zone. That will allow me to keep the rest of the intake original. I finally got to the twisty's in the mountains of NE Georgia today and now the suspension thread search begins.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
dlfred
3" Exhaust

dlfred is on a distinguished road

I still have not found a good intake elbow other than oem. The Pep Boys hose was not the right size. I have been searching and cannot seem to locate anything. I have a NA and most of what I find is for the turbo model.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

if it fits, it fits man. i mean if you're gonna take that piece off after all

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 04-11-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
My88isGREAT
Stock

My88isGREAT is on a distinguished road

It is totally my fault CRE is grumpy lately, my bad, and I apologize CRE. Some of the K&N (not mk3 supra) kits come with a heat shield to block off the engine bay from the air filter. I have been wanting to make something for mine that would do that but never got around to it, and there is not much room to do so... I seen on K&N reviews that they do not block as much dirt as they should. I put a pantie hose over mine to keep bugs and excessive junk out of it, and it works good. Same thing as an K&N Outer Ware only $59 cheaper...
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

should be a post in one of the faq's that list a few different air filters that were thoroughly tested w/ posted data results.. apexi rated one of the highest.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote