Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

supraluver4life is on a distinguished road
Default 7mgte build opinions

so im about to start a 7mgte build with a power goal of about 400-450 reliable horsepower. what im wanting to hhear is everyones opinion on how to reach that goal. so any replys regarding this are wellcome.

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
supraluver4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

supraflymkiii is on a distinguished road

61 Trim CT26, SAFC, MAFT PRO, Bigger injectors, Bigger Intercooler, good tuner. Those are some of the basics.
supraflymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

While not notorious for grenading like the 60-1 upgrades the 61 trim is still a bit much for the CT-26. If a 57 trim won't get you the numbers you want most shops will tell you to suck it up and buy something that's actually built for it. $500 on a turbo upgrade that may not last more than a few years when you could have saved a bit longer and gotten something rock solid and with room to grow in it isn't the best plan in my mind.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

Sounds pretty decent. but two questions, what would be a better turbo to go with because to my understanding the compressor wheels on t57 and larger put too much rotating mass on the shaft causing it to literally snap. and also is it necessary to use both a maft or maft pro along with an safc? dont they do the same thing? please feel free to correct me if im wrong

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The regular MAFT is not a fuel controller; It only allows you to use a MAF in place of the KVAFM. The MAFT Gen II and MAFT Pro both have fuel control functionality.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

supraflymkiii is on a distinguished road

Whoever you heard from that anything bigger than a 57 trim turbo shaft would snap is an idiot. Unless the turbo was built by him and he didn't have it balanced they are solid. Turbos a precisionally balanced so they can spin perfectly turbos see rpms around 100000 so no that is not true.
supraflymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Anybody who tells you it's balance which determines if a shaft will snap or not is an idiot... it's torsional stress which snaps 'em.. not poor balance.

I and most others are basing our opinion on the posts of those who've had this happen and the word of shops which don't offer larger upgrades anymore due to "reliability issues"... do more research, you've missed a lot. I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but a lot of shops (reputable shops, IMO) kept seeing these come back.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraflymkiii View Post
Whoever you heard from that anything bigger than a 57 trim turbo shaft would snap is an idiot. Unless the turbo was built by him and he didn't have it balanced they are solid. Turbos a precisionally balanced so they can spin perfectly turbos see rpms around 100000 so no that is not true.
i understand that but think about if you spun in a circle at like 1000 rpms (assuming you were perfectly balanced) then say you put your arms out... they would come flying off because nof the centifugal forces

i dont mean to be a smart ass but it does make sense
i may be wrong though hahaha

Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

so the stock 7mgte internals can handle 400-450 horses reliably? just wanting to know cuz if im gonna rebuild the entire thing might as well do what needs to be done to start with.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The problem isn't with the wheel coming apart, the problem lies in the exponential increase in torsional stress on the spindle. All of the failures I've seen pictures of started with the shaft snapping.

Yes, a HEALTHY 7M-GTE long block can withstand 400-450 (other things will need to be beefed up, of course). But, if you're going to go to all the trouble build for more... it'll last a lot longer.

Tip Jar --->