Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
professorbob
Intake

professorbob is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo Supra 1968 Engine/transmission removal

I own a 1986 turbo that has been stored since 2006 because the A430 transmission went out. Will not pull itself out of the street forward or reverse. I just sold a 1970 240Z I have owned since 1971 to raise the capital for the repair. Really hated to see it go as there were lots of great memories there, but I am now ready to pull the engine and transmission to have the transmission repaired. I located a guy who will do the rebuild for a $1,000 if I bring him the transmission. I decided this would be better to come out with the engine and trans. as a unit, as I need to attend to an exhaust leak and do a timing belt replacement, and just generally go through the system to bring them up to speed.
This will be our daily driver once back in the road.
Anyone want to by my '86 Mercedes 420SEL?

At one time I had the URL for a site that gave a very easily understood way to pull the engine with some short cuts.
I remember it said the hood could be removed and laid on the top with a padding underneath.
The person seemed to have done this several times and it was very logical. Unfortunately, I have been unable to remember the site or find the address I saved.
Do any of you have some time saving suggestions. I have the good fortune to have a friend with a four arm lift and also have the engine hoist to make getting around and under the vehicle easier.
I will be looking for solid advice on the type of belt kit to purchase at reasonable prices and any other tips you may have

I would appreciated any suggestion.
Thanks
Robert

1987 Turbo Supra Targa top "In Development"
1987 Volvo Sedan "For Sale"
1986 Mercedes Benz 420SEL "For Sale"
1982 Dodge Maxi Van Custom "For Sale"
1994 Ford E350 Hot Air Balloon Chase bus conversion "In Development" and "Not For Sale"
1986 Hot Air Balloon "Not For Sale
www.balloonsafari.com

Last edited by professorbob; 05-11-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typos
professorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

supraflymkiii is on a distinguished road

Take your hood off obviously set it some where safe. Disconnect all lines and wiring. Disconnect rear driveshaft and slide out of the tranny. Make sure you drain it the best you can so you don't make a mess pulling it out. Don't forget to disconnect the shift linkage either and the speedo cable. Disconnect downpipe and pull out of the way. You can pull the engine with the turbo and manifold still on. You will have to take off the upper intake plenum to get at some wires and hoses. Also the throttle body and idle air control valve has to come off. Then for the motor mounts take the nut off of the bottom by the control arm. Then hook up the engine hoist put a jack under the tranny drop the crossmember then slowly jack it up and pull out at the same time. Really not that hard I have done it tons of times and I can usually get everything disconnected and taken apart and out within about an hour and a half and that is working with the car on jackstands and basic handtools.
supraflymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

Its really not that hard just do some research and follow the repair manual. If you don't have one get one. And if you have an 86 its actually an 86.5 if it is an MK3. Also if its an 86.5 if shouldn't be turbo unless it was swapped. They didn't start putting the 7M-GTE in until 87
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

As stated, the engine removal is easy. Only thing I do differently than supraflymkiii is I remove the glovebox, unplug the wire harness from the ecu, and push the plugs through the firewall (with the grommet). This way you can leave the intake intact, and just disconnect the couple of wires that go to the body. Also makes reassembly easier, IMO
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
professorbob
Intake

Default Model correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraflymkiii View Post
Its really not that hard just do some research and follow the repair manual. If you don't have one get one. And if you have an 86 its actually an 86.5 if it is an MK3. Also if its an 86.5 if shouldn't be turbo unless it was swapped. They didn't start putting the 7M-GTE in until 87
Right you are. I purchased this car from a friend who bought it new, and it is in fact a 1987 model.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
professorbob
Intake

Default Turbo removal question!

After I get the unit removed, are there any particular items I need to inspect that my need to be repaired. The turbo in particular.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

Since you'll have the engine out of the car you might as well order a gasket and seal kit and replace all seals and gaskets. Check the turbo for shaft play if it has a little its fine but if it has so much that the compressor wheel rubs the housing then its time for a new one, also make sure the inside of the turbo isn't covered in mass amounts of oil. I don't see many other things on these things going bad except for internal parts but I don't thkink yhou'll want to rip into the whole engine.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
professorbob
Intake

Default Seals and gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraflymkiii View Post
Since you'll have the engine out of the car you might as well order a gasket and seal kit and replace all seals and gaskets. Check the turbo for shaft play if it has a little its fine but if it has so much that the compressor wheel rubs the housing then its time for a new one, also make sure the inside of the turbo isn't covered in mass amounts of oil. I don't see many other things on these things going bad except for internal parts but I don't thkink yhou'll want to rip into the whole engine.
I know that during the timing belt change, I will need to replace gaskets there. I also will be installing a new water pump and gasket. I located a kit including both on ebay for about 90.00 including shipping. Any thoughts on brand or type?
I suspect that the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. And for sure I will be replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets. Any suggestion about removing the manifold bolts? I sure would hate to ring one off. I do not suspect and leak in the head gasket. But should I check the bolt torque?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

I would go with an Aisin water pump which is what they came with stock, and get a OEM Toyota timing belt there $34 on driftmotion.com. Driftmotion has a ton of nice replacement parts.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
supraflymkiii
3" Exhaust

Oh yeah for the exhaust manifold stud nuts, they'll either come right off the stud or the whole stud and nut will come out. You should be ok.