Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #81
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

bradenman1 is on a distinguished road

Soo today I took my exhaust manifold to my auto tech class to sand it down some and I looked at the side that the turbo mates to after I sanded it. And there's a crack that goes through the exhaust manifold and streatches down the length of the mating surface and down one of the exhaust ports on the inside. Soo now I need a new exhaust manifold.

I'm glad I cought it before I put the turbo on it and blew it up. I was wooundering if I should try to find a stock one at a pick a part place or if there's an aluminum one that I could upgrade to.

Ill try to get those pictures up tonight I just havnt had much time.

P.s. the manifold studs are seating well in the block and are looking great : )
bradenman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #82
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

I have decided I need a downpipe soon. What exhaust and downpipe do you recomend? Normal, simi divorcer, or a divorced downpipe? Iv been looking at the hks super drager and blitz nur spec exhaust and I can't decide what I want. Anyone have any input on this situation.

Sorry I havnt gotten the pictures up yet I havnt been home too much but for sure ill get you guys an update when I get out of school or off work today.

Ohh and how do I change the name of the thread? Someone mentioned changing it for better results.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #83
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

DDP ftw. there are some dyno results posted somewhere either here or supra mania. guy ran the dyno stock.. then with regular dp. then with DDP and posted each result. the ddp was by far the best.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #84
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
DDP ftw. there are some dyno results posted somewhere either here or supra mania. guy ran the dyno stock.. then with regular dp. then with DDP and posted each result. the ddp was by far the best.
I read that it makes the car extreamly loud while under boost. this isnt really a problem but just how loud is it going to be lmao and with a divorced downpipe can i still put in a BOV and have it function properly? Im pretty sure i want the HKS SSQBOV (eventually) i loved it once i saw it and i loved it even more when i heard it working on a WRX that drove by me not even accelerating hard and you still get a nice crisp and clean sound from it.

heres some pics of the progress (not mush because the manifold is cracked) ill take a pic of the manifold tonight to show the damage.

Heres the new exhaust manifold studs installed

And these are my plug wires and a random assortment of gaskets, niuts and bolts.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #85
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If noise is a big concern you can get a semi divorced DP. It's pretty much a DDP where the wastegate dump is plumbed back into the exhaust down past the firewall. (N/m, I see you already saw the semi-divorced DPs)

DDP's can be quite loud, but it depends on the car, the engine load, the amount of boost and so on. They're usually not too loud at part throttle boosting, but like I said, it depends on the car.

Personally, if I ever decide to ditch my HKS, I'll be going with a semi-DDP.... I prefer quiet and my car is already way too loud for my tastes.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #86
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
If noise is a big concern you can get a semi divorced DP. It's pretty much a DDP where the wastegate dump is plumbed back into the exhaust down past the firewall. (N/m, I see you already saw the semi-divorced DPs)

DDP's can be quite loud, but it depends on the car, the engine load, the amount of boost and so on. They're usually not too loud at part throttle boosting, but like I said, it depends on the car.

Personally, if I ever decide to ditch my HKS, I'll be going with a semi-DDP.... I prefer quiet and my car is already way too loud for my tastes.
I was thinking about that too i like loud but i dont want to be so ridiculously loud that my neighbors complain lol I already had mty neighbor come over once because i have a catback on my altima and its pretty loud even with the scilencer in (not going to take it out).

i like the idea of the semi divorced down pipe but wouldn't it defete the purpose of it being divorced in the first place? Im not too up to date with parts for boosted cars. this is my first turbo (and its freakin sexy i might add )

What DP are you running with from HKS? Is it normal, semi or fully divorced?

Your running a stock CT26 also right? (n/m i read your signature and answered my question)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #87
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenman1 View Post
I was thinking about that too i like loud but i dont want to be so ridiculously loud that my neighbors complain lol I already had mty neighbor come over once because i have a catback on my altima and its pretty loud even with the scilencer in (not going to take it out).
Living near a high school, I've come to hate people like you... but N/A hondas with gutted cats and 3" exhausts are MUCH louder than most turbo'd cars... little f@#$ers.

Quote:
i like the idea of the semi divorced down pipe but wouldn't it defete the purpose of it being divorced in the first place?
It's a trade off... you still get much better response from the turbo... a DDP doesn't make you any more power.

Quote:
What DP are you running with from HKS? Is it normal, semi or fully divorced?
It's just a regular type 3" DP... I'm planning on adding an upgraded/segmented elbow and just keeping it.

Quote:
Your running a stock CT26 also right? (n/m i read your signature and answered my question)
Yeah, until I get together enough cash to send in one of my others for a rebuild.

EDIT: A DDP isn't going to make any additional noise when you're not boosting though. Stay light on the throttle when driving residentially and you're fine.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 02-12-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #88
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

well i said id get some pics of my manifold here they are

Got the exhaust side looking all nice...

Only to get to the other side and find this...

The crack went all the way through and looks like the passage its on is cracking down to on the inside.

ohh and the 400 grit sandpaper worked amazing! thanks cre!
Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #89
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Living near a high school, I've come to hate people like you... but N/A hondas with gutted cats and 3" exhausts are MUCH louder than most turbo'd cars... little f@#$ers.

It's a trade off... you still get much better response from the turbo... a DDP doesn't make you any more power.

It's just a regular type 3" DP... I'm planning on adding an upgraded/segmented elbow and just keeping it.

Yeah, until I get together enough cash to send in one of my others for a rebuild.

EDIT: A DDP isn't going to make any additional noise when you're not boosting though. Stay light on the throttle when driving residentially and you're fine.
i live near a high school also my car isnt really that loud the neighbors were like whos car is making all the noise. i just moved in at the time and being curious i guess. theres a lowered N/A honda civic Hatchback around here it sounds like a giant mosquito being amplified through a coffee can lol

The pipes i was looking at had the turbo elbow built into the DP. Do you think i should get one with a flex section in it also??

the guys at powerfab said they could make me a 3 Inch custom catless exhaust from turbo back with v-band connectors for around $1100. thats about the price of a full exhaust from suprastore with the TSM DP.

deffinatly going to go with a divorced or semi divorced DP. just dont know which and which brand to trust. i heard Bic had soem nice ones but i havnt heard of them before.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #90
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

BIC's been around for a long time. I'd have no hesitation about buying one.

Some of the kids around here are absolute shitheads... there's one kid with some ancient BMW 3xx series, spray painted camo and running open headers... it's a piece of crap and he's revs the engine for the hell of it all the time and then looks around for reactions. One of these days I'm going to shoot him (I probably shouldn't admit to that, huh? Won't go well if the court finds out I was planning the whole thing.).

Tip Jar --->