Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-20-2005, 08:19 AM   #11
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

TOP UP WATER!!!

LOL

isn't your bhg light on telling you ur low on water?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by suprra_girl@Aug 20 2005, 04:19 AM
TOP UP WATER!!!

LOL

i think she means your reserve water bottle light aka BHG light .
this warning light must have gone off by now . on the left side . indicates low water level in the reserve water bottle up front .
could be a crappy fan huh ? isn't that something the other one you looked at had a crappy fan too . how odd that 2 supras have crappy fans causing over heating .. NOT

it's amazing that so many "highly trained people" have looked at your car before you bought it and gave you a complete clean bill of health .
and then what 1 week later you're singing the BHG blues . Toyota told me i didn't have a BHG once too , and then they hosed me down with the price of a new radiator .. who can you trust

i suppose you could try and re-torque the head bolts , but it's prolly too late to do much good .

you can fight it for a long time ..
keep an eye on water levels
keep an eye on temp gauge
keep your finger on the heater on button

i'd say it's time to break out your warranty

it's a good thing you have that warranty right ?
...course you're gonna find out the limitations of the warranty .
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

If it's the heater core, and it's leaking, the pressure escaping can cause you to run hot. The pressure in your cooling system is what keeps it under control, without pressure, you'll overheat.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
ddmcse
500whp yet?

if the heater is not being used , coolant is not being circulated through the heater core . there is a valve on the firewall that controls the flow(closes the loop).
you will find that when your temp starts to rise turning the heater on to 85 will cool the temp down , it's amazing that just this will lower the temp 10-15 degrees .
now since the heater loop is closed where is all that hot pressurized water going to go now ? kaplooey out the weakest point it can find .

there is a hose that connects from the very back of the head to the heater valve , this hose might look ok from the front but you might find cracks on the backside right next to the firewall . if it needs to be replaced the best bet is to get the replacement part from toyota because it has 2 formed right angles . this hose will go and then there is a very small hose right behind the water housing , a bit of a MF to get at , again a formed right angle (maybe it's a left angle for those down under (hehe)). i don't know if the n/a has the one blocked off / capped off coolant exit on the exhaust side of the block or not but it's a candidate for blowing.

here is some " been there done that" for you :

Posted on Aug 20 2005, 06:16 AM
QUOTE (suprra_girl @ Aug 20 2005, 04:19 AM)
TOP UP WATER!!!

LOL

ddmcse Posted on Aug 20 2005, 06:16 AM
i think she means your reserve water bottle light aka BHG light .
this warning light must have gone off by now . on the left side . indicates low water level in the reserve water bottle up front .

all i keep hearing in my head is ozzy osborne's "denial" you're in denial , you'll never believe it's you .

might wanna stop phuqn around and fix it , before you really cook the head
My Supra KiXGaS
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 AM   #15
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but jumping to the conclusion it's the HG is a bit hasty as he's smelling musty inside the car, which sounds like something else entirely. Also, from what I hear, the heater core is only turned off when your climate control is at 65.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:04 AM   #16
ddmcse
500whp yet?

i wouldn't wish a bhg on anyone .
my money is still on a bhg
the heater core prolly would have been leaking from the day he got the car ...what a couple of weeks ago
where the gasket can be brought on by seeing what the old girl has left in her .
when it's summer time most people would set it to 65 and turn on the a/c i would imagine .
i havent seen a post by this guy in a couple of days . we'll see what progress he has made
My Supra KiXGaS
Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 AM   #17
supeee
Stock

supeee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyer
my car also sounds like rushing bubbles under the dash, but no mildew odor nor heat spikes. I was told that it has something to do with the hoses for the heater or something like that. there's two pipes at the back of the engine, one on the left, and another on the right, one has to be plugged can't remember which one.

I do have another problem with the cooling system, I sometimes build up pressure inside the water system? but the head gasket seems to be in mint condition.....

Who knows..... old cars gotta love them
my 88 turbo targa had the bubble sound to and i think it tis the heater hose on the back of the engine. My temp always spiked to and I presure test done and the car was loosing pressure. It did't act like a blown head gasket but when i took it apart the the top layer had a crack in it. I would pressure check.
supeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:56 AM   #18
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles
Yeah, but jumping to the conclusion it's the HG is a bit hasty as he's smelling musty inside the car, which sounds like something else entirely. Also, from what I hear, the heater core is only turned off when your climate control is at 65.
Ok....my $0.02 of personal "experience". True, the water flows thru the heater core all the time, except at 65* on the controls. The guy said he was having issues of a 'pressure' buildup in the system. That comes from a BHG, just starting probably. Have it tested with a block test, or an emmisions test at the radiator cap. I fought mine off for 3 winter months, then did the hg/valve job before summer came.

Our cars run with pressure in the system. So....
Leaking hoses (or loose clamps) are called that for a reason...they leak ! There will be signs of coolant at the leak.

The only place I've ever seen that will cause the coolant to NOT return from the bottle is the radiator cap, due to a bad gasket...and the hose to the bottle not sealed good or cracked. Then air will be sucked back in instead of coolant. This part of the system is NOT under pressure, so signs of a leak won't always be there.
mrnickleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road

Hi!
Had the same problem over a few months -- check the overflow bottle for extra water -the cap may be releasing due a VERY small head gasket leak -put the overflow tube from the radiator into water , run the engine and check for bubbles -get those bubbles checked for exhaust gas emissions , mine were positive -had to do a gasket change -then found the head was corroded and needed welding/skimming- seems to be a common problem !-7MGTE .

Last edited by interested!; 04-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

air in the cooling system will cause it to run hot, cuz air does not transfer heat as well as liquids. neway, you prolly have a pinhole somewhere in the system, be it heater core, hoses, or a HG. go to any reputable auto shop (sears auto center is good cuz they are a national store, not gunning them for business i just used to work there and they know their shit, plus i know they have the tools) and have them do a pressure test on your cooling system. it will tell you if you have any leaks. usually like 15 bux or free.