Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Raysupra
3" Exhaust

Raysupra is on a distinguished road
Default Really Bad weird starting problem?

Ok so Ive been working on the complete ignition system of this car for a month or so now.. Ive Replaced the key cylinder just cause, battery and starter. now the car has power... and starts sometimes... but wont always start.. I just sat down and finally drove it today and when i parked I turned it on and off about 5 times to see if it would keep starting.. then lo and behold.. It stopped again..Wont crank or turn over at all.. so I tried getting around this.. hooked up a wire from the battery to a switch to the starter... and still no idea it worked once i think.. but now nothing?... I really need help this is my daily driver..? My Ignition wireing is rigged I had to run a switch from its power wire to the acc wire just to give it power. It works fine. sometimes it works completely normal. and now it wont start.. i can obviously push start it but thats not a option.
Raysupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Ever had any trouble with the stock security system? Any aftermarket alarm installed? What's the deal with the ignition hack... should probably fix it the right way before dismissing it.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
scaggsj
3" Exhaust

scaggsj is on a distinguished road

When you crank it what happens is it dead or does it try, can you hear the starter click or any noise like its trying?
1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac Turbo (Died)
scaggsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Raysupra
3" Exhaust

i think theirs still maybe a stock security system but if their is theirs nothing much left of it? no new alarms or free start systems
I try to turn it over and it dosen't tryin to turn over at all.. I hear a click at the relay box and the fuel pump I think Ive narrowed it down to wiring but im still lost?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

if you hear a click and doesn't even try to turn over, that sounds like an electrical issue without a doubt. I would heed Cre's advice and try to fix the rigging you have set up. You don't use a tool for the improper use cause it could break, break something, or injure yourself... same applies for rigging something. Having said that, I'm guilty of the same feat. However, mine is for a sensor that has little purpose, not the ignition system of my mk3. Just one short there could prevent the car from turning over, let alone running. Maybe check the fuse box under the hood and see if you blew the ignition fuse? That'd be a strong indication the issue lies in the rigging. If no fuse is blown, I'd have to suspect somethings not hooked up, preventing the flow of electricity.
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Raysupra
3" Exhaust

its a intermittant problem... had it for the past two weeks.. haven't been driving the car... Ive been working on it trying to figure it out.. took alot of stuff apart. the fuses are good.. the motors ground is good... dunno about relays , the clutch sensors are completely disconnected and the car used to start up? and Im about 100% its something with the ignition/ wireing.. not sure what thou but its aggrivateing me... im tired of trying to hunt it down might just pay a shop to redo the ignition wireing.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysupra View Post
its a intermittant problem... had it for the past two weeks.. haven't been driving the car... Ive been working on it trying to figure it out.. took alot of stuff apart. the fuses are good.. the motors ground is good... dunno about relays , the clutch sensors are completely disconnected and the car used to start up? and Im about 100% its something with the ignition/ wireing.. not sure what thou but its aggrivateing me... im tired of trying to hunt it down might just pay a shop to redo the ignition wireing.
Just shot in the dark... try reseating plugs and connections.. see if there's one that might be loose or worn... this would explain the intermitancy.. also with things electronic, if not supplied the right amount of power, they will act funny or not work at all.. so even if something isn't loose or worn, there could still be lack of power causing intermittant issues that will likely grow more consistant the more and more it's pushed.. however, none of this post I'm making now pertains to automotives... just electronics in general... good luck
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
mad supra
Stock

mad supra is on a distinguished road
Default weird starting prtoblem

hi iv got a 7mgte drove it into my garage and replaced the head gasket after getting the motor fully re-built cost lots.....hks 1.2 headgasket new intake gasket and a knock sensor...now put it all back together and now all i got is a motor that winds over.no fuel pump and i blow a 30a fuse in the engine bay....just winds over any hints...like solenoid resistor
mad supra is offline   Reply With Quote