Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Blackdog
Intake

Blackdog is on a distinguished road

OKay well that kinda sucks. this is what happens.
I start the car and it bleches out some exhaust...kinda odd. its not black but not white, id say it was more on the light side tho. Also the exhaust dose feel full of moisture.
After i turn the car off i look under the hood and on the left side of the top of the block in the front, smoke will eek out for about a minute. It also takes about a minute to start smoking. Then the radiatior seems to dump all its fluid in the storage tank and overflows..

So im pretty sure that if the head gasket isn't totally blow it will be soon, I have ceased to drive the car.
What size of HG should i get? 2 mm?? I plan i doing some upgrades so i want it to hold and of course it'll be metal
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

If you plan on running a metal head gasket, you will need to have a machine shop machine the head gasket mounting surfaces of both the block and head. This is so that the mhg has a smooth mounting surface and will be less likely to blow again in the near future. Because machining the head and block will remove material from both of them, your compression ratio will change without the proper sized head gasket.

Long story short, can't buy a mhg until you know how much the machine shop removed from your head and block, as you will add the amount removed to the thickness of your gasket.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Blackdog
Intake

Well it just get more and more complicated lol but i good with that. So if i got just a regular gasket how well wld it hold up?

By the way thanks a bunch you have been most helpful
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
87TT
Intake

87TT is on a distinguished road
Default confused

so you guys are probably gonna think i'm stupid but i've never used forums before and i'm not sure exactly how they work
can someone tell me how to post a new thread? lmao
87TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
btwilson86
Super Moderator

87TT-

Welcome to the Forums! To post a new thread, first select the appropriate discussion area. In this case, we're in the "MKIII Supra" discussion, so only post threads in there about MKIII Supra's. Once you're in the right discussion group, at the top left of the thread list is a button entitled "New Thread". Click that, add a subject, and post your thread! Good luck

Blackdog-

From what I can gather, if you plan on doing any decent power modifications with your car, mhg is the way to go. If you're staying mostly stock, then you should be ok with a stock Composite head gasket, as long as you get one of good quality. That means you can rule out places like eBay where you can get a whole engine gasket set for $50. I would say go OEM or with a namebrand aftermarket gasket manufacturer, such as FelPro.

Keep in mind that whichever gasket you decide on, it's strongly recommended that you install it with either ARP Head Bolts or ARP Head Studs; both allow you to torque the gasket much higher than the rated 58 ft/lbs, allowing you to greatly extend the life of your gasket.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
Old 09-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Blackdog
Intake

Well i am going to start to look around town to see if anyone will do the block. Cause id love to do more modifications for fairly decant hp. But do you know if i have to remove the engine for this to happen? Or can the work be done on it while the motor is still in the car?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
btwilson86
Super Moderator

To do it properly, you would have to remove the block because you would also have to remove your rotating assembly (crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods). This way the block can be dumped into a cleaning bath so it can be inspected for cracks and other defects. This also gives you the chance to do a full rebuild on the car, so you get a nice clean start for your upgrades.

If you are fairly confident in the bottom end, you can leave the block and the rotating assembly in the car. By doing so, you'll be taking all of the labor of smoothing the surface into your own hands. It'll take several hours, but it can be done.

There are 2 threads that I've read that seem to be fairly informative on this topic. The first one, they decided to smooth the block by hand. Check it here. The second one, he took it to a shop and had it dunked. Check it here.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #18
*D-Joker*
Intake

*D-Joker* is on a distinguished road
Default speedo...

hey...i jus got my car a coupl of weeks ago, and yer i jus got it rego'd on the weekend, pretty awesome haha

anywayz...i am havin problems wit my speedo 2 (i got a manual btw)...i jumped under the car, and i saw where the cable comes outta the box and into the fittin , and then the next cable from the fittin goin up (towards the firewall im guessin lol)
BT, you said it is a 3-piece speedo cable? where is the other connection?
cause im gonna put a new cable through and i jus wanna make sure i know what i gotta b lookin out 4...

thanks in advance.
*D-Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #19
Blackdog
Intake

Oh i see, well thanks alot man. Im not sure if i can afford to do a total block rebuild pistons, cams, crank, ect. so if i can get away with it for awhile then i will wait to do that. And so would the machince shop do all of that for me? remove the motor and dip the block and all??

And yes it is a 3 connection cable tho i havent been able to get underneath it to see were all the connections are. You said the cable was out of the box? as in the transmission?? so the third cable couldve fallen out.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
*D-Joker*
Intake

*D-Joker* is on a distinguished road

ok fair enough.
yer thats right... gearbox/ transmission lol
well i know where it comes out from the side of the tranny, and ive looked behind the cluster...so i jus got to locate where the middle part, or where the other connection is...when i find out ill let you know...or if you find out before me, let me know hahaha

...but i dont know about falling out...im thinkin that the cable has may have snapped...if its the original cable, then it wouldnt suprise me if it has snapped cause its gettin pretty old lol
*D-Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote