Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Hiccups
Stock

Hiccups is on a distinguished road
Arrow Unreliable starting. (Problems starting)

((Sorry, I made the same post a few days ago and got a few answers, but I decided to make a fresh-more clear one. I was told to check the igniter coils, where exactly are they? And what do i look for?))

When I start it in the morning (or when it hasn't been run for the day), it will never start the first time. I can't remember if it ever has. BUT it will almost ALWAYS start the second try. Lately though, it seems to be having a harder time. It still starts the second turn over, but it almost sounds like its on the verge of dying (so i give ti some gas), but doesn't quite die. ITS definitely getting worse, and near dying.

Also, it will usually start if you turn it off and back on again quickly after its been running (but that could be expected).

I'm guessing this is gradual and eventually it wont start (then i might be able to diagnose the problem). But I cant really keep driving it till it dies...

BOTTOM LINE. It almost never starts after its been driven for 20 minutes, then stopped. If I wait a while, it usually starts (like 20 or more minutes tho). This leaves me stranded sometimes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or do you think you know what it is?

(Its an 87 turbo btw)

Last edited by Hiccups; 05-15-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Emphasize its getting worse...
Hiccups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
MZDA5274
Stock

MZDA5274 is on a distinguished road

fuel pump maybe... Not too sure though.
MZDA5274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
dunewarz
3" Exhaust

dunewarz is on a distinguished road

Most likely a fuel system problem. Sounds like it could be the fuel pump though. Turn the key to the on position and wait for 5 seconds then turn it off do it again a second time but this time turn the engine over.

Do this first before starting your car for the first time. Try to pump a full tank of gas into it as well. If you can start it easier with a full tank then it's the fuel system.

What this does is send fuel to the fuel rail. When the engine is turned to the on position the fuel pump pushes fuel into the fuel rail. If you have a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel system the fuel has difficulty getting to the injectors causing you to have to crank the engine muiltiple times before it starts.
dunewarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
dunewarz
3" Exhaust

dunewarz is on a distinguished road

I think it might be a faulty ignitor too. Or maybe it could be flooding with fuel or maybe coolent.
dunewarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Curtis
Stock

Curtis is on a distinguished road

You could check your starter, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, ect...

My friend has a 7m-ge and it will never start the first turn, always second or third, i know of three supra's that do this.

It wouldn't be your ecu? Would it? Maybe it's confused and not pumping the right amount of gas/air mixture ratio...

Check those things out.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
MZDA5274
Stock

MZDA5274 is on a distinguished road

well if it was floodage wouldn't there be black smoke on start?
MZDA5274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Fuel pump on these cars doesn't turn on until the engine starts to crank (which is why it is common for them to have to crank a little bit longer than many other vehicles). How long do you crank it the first time? How lond do you wait between tries?
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Hiccups
Stock

Hiccups is on a distinguished road

Well Idk about the fuel pump. I was literally at a gas station, just filled up, and it wouldn't start. I can catch it in gear, and thats what I did. But I cant do that all the time so this needs fixed.

Ill still try "Turn the key to the on position and wait for 5 seconds then turn it off do it again a second time but this time turn the engine over. " that. But idk.

If it wouldnt start on a full tank idk...
Hiccups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
rr0621
Stock

rr0621 is on a distinguished road
Default Same Issue - 82 Supra

<- im going crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiccups View Post
((Sorry, I made the same post a few days ago and got a few answers, but I decided to make a fresh-more clear one. I was told to check the igniter coils, where exactly are they? And what do i look for?))

When I start it in the morning (or when it hasn't been run for the day), it will never start the first time. I can't remember if it ever has. BUT it will almost ALWAYS start the second try. Lately though, it seems to be having a harder time. It still starts the second turn over, but it almost sounds like its on the verge of dying (so i give ti some gas), but doesn't quite die. ITS definitely getting worse, and near dying.

Also, it will usually start if you turn it off and back on again quickly after its been running (but that could be expected).

I'm guessing this is gradual and eventually it wont start (then i might be able to diagnose the problem). But I cant really keep driving it till it dies...

BOTTOM LINE. It almost never starts after its been driven for 20 minutes, then stopped. If I wait a while, it usually starts (like 20 or more minutes tho). This leaves me stranded sometimes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or do you think you know what it is?

(Its an 87 turbo btw)

I am having the same issue, My car sounds GREAT when running but once it stalls (sometimes during driving) it wont start again. Cranks and will EVENTUALLY turn over but only if i hold the gas peddle down, wont go above 100 rpms, as soon as i let go of gas peddle it will die. my car is in no reliable condition right now and i need it to get to work. someone please help me, i have replaced spark plugs, full tank of gas,

Issue first started after putting too much oil in the car, went through the process of cleaning it out and my MECHANIC said it should be running great just needs to be driven, but it seams to get worse and worse, and now HE HAS NO CLUE and gives up.....
rr0621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The fuel rail is SUPPOSED to retain pressure. If it bleeds off too quickly you'll have issues with warm starts: low pressure and possibly fuel vapor locking up the rail. Culprits: FPR and FPD.

If you have a 7M-GE the FC switch inside the AFM may be failing as well. If this is the case the fuel pump may lose power when the throttle plate is close to closed and not completely closed.

Protip: The FC circuit on the 7M can be wired to a momentary switch *TEMPORARILY* as a fuel primer switch. Just put the key to the ON position and press the button for a count of 5 or so to bring the system's pressure up.

@rr0621: Have you checked for diagnostic codes? Cleaned the ISCV? Is the TPS working and properly calibrated? If you don't know how to check these please try searching the forum for these specific items I think they're more likely to be the source of your problem.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote