Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
89supralove
Stock

89supralove is on a distinguished road
Default car wont turn over, please help!!

hey guys i'm new here and glad i found a great communtiy. I need some help asap. I need to get my care fixed and don't know exactly what heppend to make this happend.

SO i was driving my car to a part yeaterday and all of a sudden it started sputtering and losing power. so I pulled over and started my care again. got it started and continued for about 2 miles then again it happens this time with the sound of metal on metal or a very intense squeaking. I stopped again to take a look at the engine while running and it just would sputter while idling. So again pressing my luck i wanted to get another 2 miles down the road so i could get it off the highway but to my luck, nope,dies again goin up a hill. there it sits waiting for me to fix or tow it.

My question is this, I know the oil was quite low, almost bone dry(yes i'm stupid i know) but there was no loud bang or clang or anything that would be the sound of a blown head gasket. Does my supra have a battery cut off switch that keeps the car from being ruined by moron like me? now it wont even turn over, at all and my battery is only 4 months old. it has been working fine up until now. should i disconnect the battery and reconnect to see if i get a connection. i have a 1989 toyota supraq turbo. please help. thank to anyone that can give advice.
89supralove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Mahonri
Intake

Mahonri is on a distinguished road

I really hate to say it, but it sounds like with lack of oil you might have siezed up the engine. That metal on metal noise was due in part to your cylinders grinding on the cylinder walls. If you know how to take the engine apart that's the first place I would start, asses the damage from there. If not then time to take it to your local shop.

Best of luck.
Mahonri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
89supralove
Stock

thanks for getting back to me. i was sure that was happen but i've been talking to a lot of friends and family about what has happend. apparently if the engine is siezed you cant manually turn the fan belt. so I am able to move the fan belt. also i am able to hear a click from the are where the starter is so i really don't think it's that. I got this car from my parents when my mom bought a new mustang and i've been wanting to fix it up. apparently that the size of battery i bought for it 4 motnhs ago is the right size fior the engine but i was told i shoudl get a larger battery for it so it won't die so quickly. has anybody expeirienced this?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

Can you turn the crankshaft pulley? If the belt is sliding on a seized pulley, your test is faulty. I think you fried the engine. A compression test, if you can get it spinning again, would probably confirm this.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
89supralove
Stock

i don't know exactly what you mean by the pully. but whne i pull at the belt it moves the fan also. i was told that if an engine is seized then the fan woudn't be able to move at all if you move it with the belt. Is this true or not? the only reason i ask is that i have friends that know about cars back home in california that say this, also the people i have talk ed to about this up here say the same thing.

also i have noticed that my battery light did come on. I was given the car by my parents and talked to my father about what has happen. he says that he has always had to put a bigger battery than what it calls for because it's ajuice hog. I am gonna try and test the volt on the battery tommarow to see if that's the case. otherwise i was told it could be the nuetral starter relay or the starter itself, even though it clicks(only once) then buzzes slightly.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

So you're saying that you can spin the engine by pulling on the belt? I find that unlikely... There is too high of a false reading with that test, cuz as Busted Knuckles said you could just be slipping the belt on the crank pulley, thus allowing the fan to move. Plus the fan is on a clutch and can be spun without turning the belt anyway.

You think it's your battery? Get some jumper cables and go try to jump start it. If the engine turns over at all, it is not seized. However, as you stated, it was stupid to run the engine with almost no oil, and it sounds like you're paying for it now. It's very likely that you seized the motor, but try jump starting it first. If the starter does nothing or just clicks alot, then it's probably seized (and not a battery issue).

Also, if you need to rule out the starter relay (after you try jump starting and if nothing happens), get a piece of wire and connect it to the + terminal on the battery on one end, and on the other end make contact with the terminal on the starter that the ignition signal wire goes to. This bypasses all other electronics for the starter, and will cause it to immediately start spinning, so be careful. Also make sure you don't touch that wire on anything else, cuz it'll ground it.

Let us know what happens
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
89supralove
Stock

thanks for the reply.

wel the first thing i tried was to jump it with my friends ford focus. we let it run for a couple of minutes and nothing. still click. is it possible for a battery to loose it's charge while the car is running? thus shutting down the engine? I'm gonna take the battery in today and have it tested to see if it is the battery.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem many many many many years ago with my 72 Corolla when i modded the engine (who would do that to a 72 Corolla? me!) The engine wasnt seized, but I scored the crank bearings and ripped up the end bearing (it was knocking... like someone tapping it with a crescent wrench). As for powering out and sputtering.. that could be fuel pump or filter. Or.. just low fuel (going for best case scenario)... apparently Supras dont touch the bottom of the tank, so you can run out prematurely, but still have fuel.

As for the squeaking though.. thats scary. Hope that you didnt do internal damage.. a little is a lot. Perhaps its time for you to really mod the engine ($$$).

When you boost the engine.. does the starter make a click-click-click sound? If so, it is too low powered to engage. If it makes no sound, gonna guess the engine is totally seized. If the battery is dead and you boost it properly ... it wont start (what I mean is.. if the battery is dead to the point it will not hold a charge at all). You have to jump it post to post rather than use the engine as a ground. This is dangerous... as that is how you explode batteries, but I have done it carefully before, its just very bad practice... so.. saying that.. try using a battery out of a vehicle that works, or test your battery (maintenance free batteries can dry up.. then they smell like sulfur)

Crossing my fingies for you!

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-15-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote