Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Micahwc
Intake

Micahwc is on a distinguished road
Default Down to two possible problems

After 4 months of work I am pretty sure that I have narrowed my "car wont start" problem to one of two possibilities. I'm thinking demon possession or poltergeists. I am sorry for the long post.

For starters, it is an 87 turbo with very minor upgrades. Car wont start, engine cranks and tries to start without success. EFI and all other fuses are good. I just replaced the spark plugs (gapped correctly), spark plug wires, coils, and the igniter. Every connector I can find is connected and I have found no loose or bad wires.

The first time it refused to start, the only thing I had done to the car was install a rear lisence plate, although, it was probably out of gas. The needle had just hit "E" when I parked it last.

I have filled it up since. I was not able to check codes because my battery died from trying to start it so much, and when I jumped it, the battery wouldnt hold a charge. After replacing all of the items mentioned above, and adding 8 gauge ground wires throughout, I installed a brand new battery three days ago. The car started on the first try.

I drove it to a gas station and filled it completely. Went to start the car and it was completely dead. I jumped it and it started on the first try. I drove home, let it run for a while, and turned it off. The car refused to start again, the battery was completely dead. At this point I figured it was a bad alternator.

My father, who was an electrician, noticed that some of my grounds seemed redundant, and so the next day we removed some of them. We tried starting the car without jumping it. I have power, my lights pop up and turn on, my radio works, and my windows will go down and up. But the car won't start. Does the same thing it did originally. If we try to start it for a while we can smell gas, so I am assuming that it is flooding. Since it started and ran two days ago I am assuming that my fuel pump, and injectors are working correctly.

My current thoughts are that there is something wrong with a ground, although a friend of mine suggested the starter could be bad, and my brother (who was recently a master Toyota mechanic) said that it could still be a faulty fuel pump.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Micahwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

I guess we'll start with some basics

When you have the start problem does it turn over at all or is there nothing?

Auto? Manual?

When you crank it does it sound normal? Does it sound like it wants to fire?

Put a paperclip between FP and B+ then turn your ignition to the ON position. Go and listen to your engine, do you hear the fuel running through the engine? Also listen to your tank, can you hear the pump (stockies are usually rather quiet) Does it sound ok or does it make strange whine noises?

Have you got spark? Pull out lead #1 and stick a plug in it and see if it fires.

How are the wires in your cps? These are common to cause a cranking no fire problem.

Let me know the answers to the above and we'll go from there

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Micahwc
Intake

Sorry I took so long to reply, I just finished grad school finals week, this morning.

First off, its a 87 turbo, manual transmission with 120k miles on it. The owner before me replaced the head gasket and said they torqued to 75 pounds.

I checked my engine codes, and got a constantly flashing engine light. If I remember right this means that there were no faults.

I jumped the FP and the B+, and I could hear the fuel moving. I have not pulled the plugs as I have just recently replaced them, and the two times that its worked since it ran perfect, except for the battery being completely dead after I removed the key.

Currently, if I disconnect the battery ground and reconnect it I can hear a little electrical "hiss", and then I will have power to the car. The windows will come down, the air will come on, and the radio will turn on. If I try to turn the key on all the way, to crank the engine, the car just dies. There is nothing, no cranking, no power, no anything. If I disconnect the battery ground and reconnect it, this happens again.

When I get out of the car after this, I usually get shocked when I tough the car. I don't know if this is related or not.

I have not checked my CPS wires, I will search for this and try to look at them. I am pretty sure that I have a bad ground somewhere, i.e. a cable connected to the wrong spot, or a rusted connection. If anyone could help me make sense of the electrical diagrams I would appreciate it, as I can't read those things very well.

Thanks for the help.

-Micah

On a personal note, I love your car.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

I had similiar issues on my 91 na.

I wonder if you have everything set to the correct stroke between the cams and the crank.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Your last post indicates starter motor or the thin wire going to the starter being the problem. Try this first; connect a wire (about 15 – 20 amp) to the small spade connector on the starter motor, there are only two wires going to the starter, (both are positive) one large red wire which is bolted on to the starter and one thin one that is connected to a brown shielded spade connector. The other end of the wire temporally insulate, you may find it easer to leave the existing small wire connected and just crimp or solder the extra wire as close as possible to where it connects to the starter. Turn on the ignition (make sure its not in gear) remove the temporary insulation from the new wire and touch the positive terminal on the battery. If it does start and you continue to have success, let us know.
I think the shock may be just static electricity some people are more sensitive than other to static. Try wearing cotton undies instead of nylon.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Micahwc
Intake

I have a really dumb, newby question. Where is the starter motor located? The TSRM shows what it looks like, as does the Haynes manual, but neither shows where it actually is located.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Underneath the air intake on the intake side of the engine all the way back onto the tip of the bellhousing.

2 big a$$ bolts and a small group of wires are attached to its' belly.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Your need to crawl underneath to see the connections.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Micahwc
Intake

Well, I worked on it for a while today and it still isn't running, although I think we have ruled out some possibilities. For starters, we tried Bill UK's suggestion. We originally tried a 18 gauge wire, it over heated very quickly so we tried using an 8 gauge. We would get a spark at the starter motor end when we would do this, and then the car would die. If we disconnected the ground from the battery and reconnected it we had power again. Enough power to raise and lower the windows as well as turn on the radio.

We tried starting the car while jump starting it. The original problem occurred during this, that is, the car would crank well but not start. Once we disconnected the jumper cables, the car would revert to the problem described above.

Just as a reminder, when this battery was brand new, (about 2 weeks ago) the car started on the first try, but would lose all power once you turned it off. The car would do nothing when you turned the key, but if you jumped it, it would start on the first try.

While doing all of this today I did find a wire that had two spots about an inch long without any insulation on them, one of which looked burned pretty bad. I replaced it. I think it was a ground, it was located in the back passenger side of the engine bay and it connected the engine to the frame of the car. I replaced it with an 8 gauge wire because I have a lot of them.

I am inclined to think that it is a bad alternator, however, it should start when it is jumped if it is a bad alternator. Some sort of wire problem still seems to be a possibility. I think the starter is good because when I tried jump starting it cranked fine, it just didn't start.

Any ideas? Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

-Micah
Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Pull the alternator.
Take it and have it tested.