Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
SephyraTigre
Stock

SephyraTigre is on a distinguished road
Post Adventures in oil change land.

Okay.

So now that I have owned the car for me than a few weeks I have become much more acquainted to driving this thing. Very much a fun car, but I have the feeling that this car is maybe running at about 80% of how it should be running. So the first things obviously on the list are oil change, air filter replacement, coolant flush and fluid checks. Oh and the brake pads need to be replaced as I get to listen to the lovely squeal. I added some brake fluid to the reservoir and the clutch fluid looked good so I left that alone.

What I will do is post some of the questions I came across along the way and then caption these thumbnails (Numbered from the top down) with my thoughts and questions. (Also they're out of order and I don't want to sit and figure out which one goes where right now..)

First off, does anybody have a particular method of removing that filter with consistent and relative ease? I have seen that there are oil filter relocation kits but I don't really know anything about them. Afaic, I want one. Screw battling that filter. Do you always have to remove all that to get the damned thing out?!

Take some looks at these shots and tell me your observations please!
-------------------------------------

2 - Obviously some hoses need to be replaced...

4 - I AM THE VICTOR!

5 - And a job well done.

7 - More terrible tubes..

10 - Tigre!

11 - The open bay

12 - Turbo that needs a bolt.

12 - Looking down past the turbo

13 - Shitty shot of a brown connector connected to nothing.

14 - Notha shitee toob

15 - I think I'm under the car.

19 - Grrr! That missing bolt pisses me off!

(Continue to the Page 2 thread for the rest, I screwed up and it didn't get posted here. Total newb sauce!)
( http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...-page-2-a.html )

Last edited by SephyraTigre; 06-08-2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: cause I am newb.
SephyraTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
burton51m
Lexus & 550's

burton51m is on a distinguished road

What the fuck did you do to that filter. wow. haha

burton51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Tried most wrenches over the years, the one I would recommend is No 1 in the photo below , its called a cap wrench, it has a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch square hole in the end Suitable for the standard extension wrench bar .The Toyota Filter measures 74mm with fourteen flats. No 2 photo is a K&N filter with built in hex nut shape on the bottom. I haven’t tried it since the cap wrench does the job. I purchased the cap wrench from this company in the UK. Link Order Part No 3119 but state 73 / 14 for the correct Toyota filter size. Sorry unable to help with your other questions as my computer monitor has gone tits up, no colour or color as you spell it in the US.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

suprabahamut is on a distinguished road

I had my oil changed the first time, because a certain shop not to name any names was having a cheep price. I usually change my own oil on all my vehicles. But I was lazy. So last month when I went to change it myself with synthetic it took me 2 hours to get the filter off. Yes really mostly ,because I lost my filter wrench so I kept on turning on it with my hands till I just gave up and went and got a filter wrench. That was the hardest filter to get off I twisted so hard that the old filter began to crush in with the wrench. In the end it finally came off bent and crushed. I decided to use K&N after this and never leave my car at a place after that. When I went to that certain shop, Turns out the guys that put it on, used a wrench and a cheater bar to make it tight so it would not leak? Yeah What? I talked to the guys that were doing oil changes for the last couple months. And he said he remembers he worked on it. And told me that for the last months they put them on extra tight and the story. So for every one out there if you can change your own oil or keep it at a shop so this don't happen to you.
suprabahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

TurboSupera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprabahamut View Post
I had my oil changed the first time, because a certain shop not to name any names was having a cheep price. I usually change my own oil on all my vehicles. But I was lazy. So last month when I went to change it myself with synthetic it took me 2 hours to get the filter off. Yes really mostly ,because I lost my filter wrench so I kept on turning on it with my hands till I just gave up and went and got a filter wrench. That was the hardest filter to get off I twisted so hard that the old filter began to crush in with the wrench. In the end it finally came off bent and crushed. I decided to use K&N after this and never leave my car at a place after that. When I went to that certain shop, Turns out the guys that put it on, used a wrench and a cheater bar to make it tight so it would not leak? Yeah What? I talked to the guys that were doing oil changes for the last couple months. And he said he remembers he worked on it. And told me that for the last months they put them on extra tight and the story. So for every one out there if you can change your own oil or keep it at a shop so this don't happen to you.
I would venture to say that they put it on extra tight so you would have to return to them to have them get it off on the next change. Just me being cynical.

I did'nt have quite as hard a time as you did, but the filter is the hardest by far, that I've ever had to mess with. I got it off from under the car without having to take off anything, but oil does get all over the place. I can't really explain how I did it other than I'm glad I have small hands. Good luck on your next change, I'm sure it'll go a bit more smooth.
TurboSupera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
SuperSupra8705
Stock

SuperSupra8705 is on a distinguished road

hey i think i saw you today, driving south on argonne by trent. I was heading north.
SuperSupra8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Is that what toyota calls ren red?

That's the 1st red supra I have seen that wasn't bugandy / maroon.

Sharp.

Edit: When you do get it off and go to replace the filter. Dip your finger tip in the earl and lube that filter seal before you install it.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
SephyraTigre
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSupra8705 View Post
hey i think i saw you today, driving south on argonne by trent. I was heading north.
Nope not me,
but I have seen another MK3 the same colour as mine driving around too!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Does this mean that you don't know what the color is by anything other than sight?
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
SephyraTigre
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist View Post
Does this mean that you don't know what the color is by anything other than sight?

Sometimes I hear it...
:P