Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 07-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
MA61ME
Stock

MA61ME is on a distinguished road

What is the story with supra head gaskets in particular mine (MA61-5ME). When I bought it the engine had been reconditioned 20,000 km ago. three weeks later the H/G went, so had it fixed and head machined and done up 500 kms and retorque did all the right things. again H/G blows. Back to shop perhaps gaskets fault, arguments with supplier. another gasket in, not long later it's gone again.
So---- I have looked at many supra sights and all have this recuring mention of H/G problems. Is a metal gasket the cure because I am sick of throwing good money after bad.
At this stage I am considering a 3.8 GM V6 (but I think that might be to tall to fit) or a Nissan RB30, both of which seem to be reliable and with good power. I love my MA61 complete with new $7000 new paint job. I don't want to go the small cubes high tech way and The Toyo 6's obviously have a problem. I would put a V8 in it but to much front weight I think.
When I had the head done I got a cam grind, performance chip and porting $$$$$ down the toilet. and everyone says "Gee that shouldn't happen" . From what I've seen at your site perhaps meticulous perfect finish on block and head and special or metal H/g [B]might fix it. I think I need more certainty or I'll go the hybrid route. Any ideas guys/girls. I'm in Australia by the way.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
supramangte
3" Exhaust

supramangte is on a distinguished road

i would get the head milled down to make sure its flats also check your block for old peices of gasket and such and make sure its flat also , and make sure who ever is tighing down to the righ specs,iv neve had to readdjust any gaskets ever
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

wow... i've never heard of the 5m being notorious for blowing head gaskets

the engine most refer to when speaking of the bhg syndrome is the 7M series engine and this is due to incorrect torque settings on the bolts... they were originally torqued to 58 where they actually need 72

if you have had the proper machine work done on head and block, new gasket, new bolts and you keep blowing them there is something else wrong

where on the gasket is it blowing?
how do you determine the hg has gone?
oil/water mix?
overheating?

give us a quick run down of the symptoms and your findings and i'll see if i can come up with something new

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
MA61ME
Stock

Yes head machined and block checked for flat. of course all old gasket cleaned off (basic stuff). On first failures just blowing between cylinders but this time coolant in oil also. Never got to over heating stage, would still start but missing then ok when warm. I have seen so many references to b/h/g on sites including this one and special h/gs to use. When it first went a friend said don't waste your time fixing it but the mechanic said he wasn't aware of problems with this engine. Well weeks later there was another MA61 in his shop same problem. I also see cars for sale saying the head recently done up. All points to some basic design fault. One place that does copper gaskets refused to make one for it. (don't know why) It seems I should have taken the first advice from my friend. But I thought a mechanic with years of professional experience would know better.
Now mine is single OHC so it differs from many outside Australia but those I have seen here for sale nearly all mention head work. So fix it and sell it seems the go. I guess the 7MGE seems like a likely transplant but still we are talking special gaskets. I want to drive this thing not look at it in the workshop. I might appear to have a bit of attitude here but I bought this car because I just have always loved the look of it and I can only drive it between breakdowns. I believe my mechanic is good doing all the right things. Can't see why an engine can be impossible to fix. Even read of person using a saw blade as a gasket. What is the best gasket for this? Should studs be replaced? Are standard torque settings ok? If I put a super charger on it would I get power comparable with a 7M n/a. Can I super charge with performance cam and chip already in? Is a 7M reliable with correct torque and h/g? Any height problems to put a 7M in? 7M DOHC 24valve?
Appreciate your input
Old 07-15-2005, 07:50 AM   #5

Buy this...or do this....yea, baby !!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9&category=6447
Old 07-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #6

Oh darn, its not there anymore. It was a 350ci camaro engine installed in a MKIII. Real nice job. Kick-ass mobile.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
MA61ME
Stock

I am still checking it out. The Transport Dept here says GM 3.8 V6 or RB30 both N/A should be ok with out any inspection. The V6 is common as mud here so good for future maintenance. I am told it may even be a bit lighter and it would sit further back than the 5ME so weight balance should be improved. I know I know it's not toyota but hell it's the body I love.:wub:
However I found a MkII with a 7MGE already in, Microtec, new timing belt/chain (whatever) Big flow headers and exhaust, new tyres. Aus$4,500. Sounds pretty good eh! But He has put 100,000 Km on it, He got it from another guy who did the transplant, had to be an import so. Oh and its been track raced. Now if it did all that with not much wrong I'd say it is a pretty reliable beast and I'd like to just shove it all in my MKII but I'd reckon I'd have to do a engine recon first Another $2000. The possibilities are endless if I want to spend that much damn money.
Well does that sound interesting Guys?
I think I am getting a handle on this H/G issue. Head bolt pattern is suspect so block and head -- flat and finish must be perfect and gasket high quality/Metal. Also torque goes to 72 on the 7Ms. So does this head bolt pattern continue through 6M, 5M??? I suspect it does. So I wonder if they should all be treated the same way!!!??? <_< I'll have a look when my head comes off . I'll update as this progresses.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

well i would be highly interested to see the results of your tear down if you do tear it down

i guess with a 7mge at least you know the fix for the hg's LOL... i don't even think that a mhg would be required on the ge... i guess you could do it anyway... won't blow ever then :P
72ft lbs on toyota new stock headbolts or arp head bolts i think is 75.. they'll tell you on their info sheet, arp head studs are 82ft lbs according to them

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

I would say definately something wrong with the 5m motor, took me, well when i first got into supras, and wasn't take care of them like i was suppose to, it too me a long time of romping on her, and abusing her constantly, overheating her, the whole nine before the head gasket went.
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
MA61ME
Stock

Default 3.8 GM V6 in MA61

well it's done, fits perfect,goes like a rocket. Few things to tidy up, climate control, tacho. bog stock motor, exhaust could be better but provides a low rumble without getting to loud and is pretty tight to the body. Seems quite economical to. supra 5 speed is good but could another gear to give longer legs. maybe I get ya some pics soon. all fits quite neatly.