Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Supra Specific > Drifting

Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Boombastic
3" Exhaust

Boombastic is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering?!?

I am looking at a mk3 right now with about 400hp, he removed the power steering though. I am into the drifting and I want to know if it is possible to drift without power steering? Some people have said no, some have said yes. I am leading towards yes because when the car is in motion it is really easy to steer side to side. Thanks for your help.
Boombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road
Cool

is the power steering disconnected or completely removed and replaced with a manual steering setup?

I was at an electric car rally this weekend and I was talking about this . power versus no power steering . i was saying how hard it was to turn the wheels on the supra without PS, they told me it was better to find a manual steering setup for the car instead of trying to turn a dead power steering system. i'm not totally sold on this story yet but i guess it makes some sense . just a suggestion to look into
My Supra KiXGaS

Last edited by ddmcse; 07-16-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Boombastic
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmcse View Post
is the power steering disconnected or completely removed and replaced with a manual steering setup?

I was at an electric car rally this weekend and I was talking about this . power versus no power steering . i was saying how hard it was to turn the wheels on the supra without PS, they told me it was better to find a manual steering setup for the car instead of trying to turn a dead power steering system. i'm not totally sold on this story yet but i guess it makes some sense . just a suggestion to look into
The power steering is removed, but the rack and pinion at the bottom are still there. I drove the car and while in motion it was great to turn, that is why I am confused. I mean I guess if I tried hard enough I could make it happen. It would probably just require me to aquire bigger arm muscles lol.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
shento256
Stock

shento256 is on a distinguished road

Yes you can Drift without PS it is Very possible and not hard at all. USE the natural weight of the car. To do this all you have to do in simple terms is to turn the car hard to the opposite direction of the turn than quickly turning the wheel back into the direction you WANT to GO. than simply counter steer in order to hold the drift. also you can use the handbrake which works well. you might have to tighten the handbreak tho, as most are not as tight as you want, inorder to start a drift. i PERSONALLY have DRIFTED a 1991 BUICK SKYLARK this car is STOCK and has 94 TOTAL HORSEPOWER! its all in technique and skill. the buick also has a floor break which makes brake control much easier if you rig the floor break to NOT LOCK in place, as i did. but yes Drifting is possible in almost ANYTHING! i have also drifted a 1988 RX7 fc3s NON turbo Without PS and the first technique i spoke of worked well for that car. i guess what im trying to say is have fun and find out how to drift the car in a parking lot and than go from there thats what i did.
shento256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Boombastic
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by shento256 View Post
Yes you can Drift without PS it is Very possible and not hard at all. USE the natural weight of the car. To do this all you have to do in simple terms is to turn the car hard to the opposite direction of the turn than quickly turning the wheel back into the direction you WANT to GO. than simply counter steer in order to hold the drift. also you can use the handbrake which works well. you might have to tighten the handbreak tho, as most are not as tight as you want, inorder to start a drift. i PERSONALLY have DRIFTED a 1991 BUICK SKYLARK this car is STOCK and has 94 TOTAL HORSEPOWER! its all in technique and skill. the buick also has a floor break which makes brake control much easier if you rig the floor break to NOT LOCK in place, as i did. but yes Drifting is possible in almost ANYTHING! i have also drifted a 1988 RX7 fc3s NON turbo Without PS and the first technique i spoke of worked well for that car. i guess what im trying to say is have fun and find out how to drift the car in a parking lot and than go from there thats what i did.
Thanks dude that helps alot I will try that technique out
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
SC Rydah
Stock

SC Rydah is on a distinguished road

Thats what I thought. My ps belt broke so i've been driving without it for the past few months. But I want to start drifting too and I think it will be easier WITH power steering.

I think NO PS will allow you to feel the road AND control the car better with a more natural feel, best for grip driving. But I would think PS is best for drifting to allow you to cut the wheel back easier for holding and initiating a drift.

I've played in the snow and rain with AND without PS so I know there's not much difference. But not on the track yet. So if I don't get it fixed by next week when I go to my 1st event, I'll let u know how it went.
SC Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote