Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   The Future of the Toyota Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/the-future-of-the-toyota-supra/)
-   -   Supra vs. Skyline (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/the-future-of-the-toyota-supra/5453-supra-vs-skyline.html)

BP907MGTE 07-24-2006 02:23 AM

Supra vs. Skyline

i do not like how toyota is making this crappy supra, i mean look at the 08 skyline GT-R, its inline 6 twin turbo with 480hp, and the supra has a v8 with 450, i think toyota needs to stick to the inline 6 and TT it and make it a competitor of the new American skyline,cuz the skyline is looking sweet, but for a pricy penny of 70,000+. i just want them to make something better lol

MeYa11 07-24-2006 05:52 AM

I have to agree with you on that one. In my opinion 4 and 6 cylinder cars are must quicker and snappier then 8 or definatly 10. Such as the Viper. Its a good car, but in a race against a Turbo 6 cylinder it doesnt stand a chance.

henesse 07-24-2006 06:25 AM

Arent you guys jumping ahead of yourselves?
You guy sound like the fart that came before the shit.

MeYa11 07-24-2006 06:29 AM

... FYI this is a discussion... we are discussing what we think... Second of all. Talking about cars is rather irrelivant to farting and shit, thank you..:frown:

j3pz 07-24-2006 08:55 PM

no offense but i would never dream of owning a 70k+ car in this lifetime. the new skyline might be coming to america but the only ppl that will be able to afford them are the same as those that buy the vipers, and which do you think they will get? a 6cylinder tt or a v10/v12 w/e they have.

MeYa11 07-24-2006 11:04 PM

If you ask me... Cars are much better with lower number of cylinders... v10's and v12s may have quite a bit of power, but they are built to have that many cylinders push the shaft. V6's Are built to have 6 push. Once you get a Twin Turbo in there they are pushing must faster then a v10 or v12. I think putting a v10 or v12 in anything besides a huge truck or machinary is rather stupid.

newbsupra 07-24-2006 11:30 PM

boost is a replacement for displacement :D and besides, im sure a TT 6cyl is gonna get a bit better gas milage them a v8,v10 or v12... but then again, if they can afford the car they can afford the gas? and also.. if you gonna spend that much for a car.. why not but something like a mkIII or mkIV and do whatever you want with the left over money? do whatever you want to the engine/tranny/drivetrain etc.. and make it look f'ing awesome.. makes sense to me? and besides, it looks kind of fugly?

j3pz 07-25-2006 10:41 PM

oh dont misunderstand me. im only saying the only ppl able to afford the car or the 45+ guys that just cruise in the car and dont even own a wrench. if i had that much money id buy a stock mkiv and use the left over money and build a mean street car.

Ahmad88 08-24-2006 02:22 PM

if i had a choice between the new skyline and the supra, i would go for the skyline cause not only is it powerful and sweet lookin, but im a skyline fan myself and i would spend all day and night studying it and learning every aspec about it. if i was rich i wouldnt just own a wrench i would have a shop in my living room..

justin1642 08-24-2006 04:06 PM

I love Supras to death always have and always will. but i am a little disappointed that they are switching to the v8. i am glad that the Skyline is going stick to its roots. i hope toyota will go back after they see how much better the skyline is gonna be.

Isphius 09-02-2006 06:12 AM

Another thing, For the rich older people who mostly can afford these cars, and a lot of other people, There not gona crank their cars up to 4k rpms and above to get power out of them. They want to step on the gas and have the car accelerate, fast. Somethign hard with a turbo. Thats why BMWs, Benzs, Caddilacs, All have large high torque motors. And I dont know why everyone is so against the supra having a v8. Sure, The straight 6 is cool, But whats the difference? It makes power, Wheter it be turbo or not. And, point of view dependant, Big powerful N/A motors are a lot more pleasureable to drive. Anywhere the tach is, Hit the gas, Get stuffed into the seat. But at other times the "rush" of the turbo is also fun. But people dont feel like having to plan on accelerating and keeping the motor at 4k rpms and the turbo spooled. Thats probably why they are probably making it n/a.

Seifer 09-12-2006 03:56 PM

I remember finding a site saying that they were going to put two different engines in the supra, a v6 putting out 350hp For the convertible version and a v8 for the hard top. Sounds a lil sketch to me but who knows? Nothing, even the existence of the car is for sure right now.

Supra2NR 09-18-2006 04:49 AM

Quote:

i do not like how toyota is making this crappy supra, i mean look at the 08 skyline GT-R, its inline 6 twin turbo with 480hp,
dont tell me youre talking about the r35?
Quote:

if i had a choice between the new skyline and the supra, i would go for the skyline cause not only is it powerful and sweet lookin, but im a skyline fan myself and i would spend all day and night studying it and learning every aspec about it
i was too, till they became sell-outs, and i dunt mean money wise
Quote:

i am glad that the Skyline is going stick to its roots.
stickin to its roots? what are you talking about
the new skyline doesnt even have the rb26dett
it doesnt have the inline 6
and the car doesnt look like it can take abuse
the car has lost its legendary engine
the skyline jus has a glorified vq 3.5 engine with twins
its the same powerplant with the g35, and the 350z
its not unique anymore

Isphius 09-18-2006 06:17 AM

Ill just not ever be able to afford either of these cars so I dont have much of an opinion. But I think the skyline looks a lot more like the old skyline than the supras do. I still think they should have kept the celica and supra big and little cousins. It would be better if they kept it in its mk3 market among the rx7 and mustangs and camaros and stuff, Instead of trying to move it up a notch to the all-out sports car class, Even tho mazda did with the rx7. Dont even get me started on the rx8...But It would be cool if they made the supra affordable again, in the 25-35K range, Instead of trying to make it compete in the super sports car market. Then more supra fans would actually buy them, And theyd be in the hands of those who would really appreciate the car. And i still wouldnt mind it having a dohc v8 :)

Supra2NR 09-18-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Then more supra fans would actually buy them, And theyd be in the hands of those who would really appreciate the car
exactly, thats a beautiful point
these car were meant to be taken care of
but not get lockd up in a damn garage, jus to only see the light of day in a sunday morning cruise,
i think if the car can talk, it'll bitch about not being driven
i mean, it was design to racing conditions
why not take advantage of it?
most of the engine designs now are becoming more mod-friendly
so why not mod it?
why more pple care about the value of the car rather than the performance?

but all we can do is hope for the best when it comes to these new designs/models

our generation of driving is passing
soon pple are gonna be wusses, dont even know how to drive a stick
all they're gonna have is a Pussy-Ass Paddle Shifter
whats so hard about stepping on the clutch
isnt the heel-and-toe, one of the main basics of driving?
wussap with that?
well good luck wit em, hope thier right leg grows bigger than the left lol

Isphius 09-20-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra2NR
well good luck wit em, hope thier right leg grows bigger than the left lol

that made me lol, haha. And thanks for the vote. The only thing people care about now is the EPA mpg rating. Like the gas is gonna cost more than your full coverage insurance and your big ass monthly payments when you go buy a new car. But im one to talk, that was one of the main reasons I bought my mr2 lol. But not cause i wana save gas overall, I just dont like wasting my pocket money on something that just gets turned into gasses and I never see it again. The real top 3 reasons were good on gas, reliable and low miles, and very very fun to drive. haha.

Supra2NR 09-21-2006 04:34 AM

cuz basically this is what pple that's not in the know think

they think, spending thousands of dollars tuning and modding old car
are more costly than the cost of ownership of new cars

well in turn, a finely tuned car, will have better reliability in the long run
with better internals, better plugs, pipes, hoses,and the other good stuff

and hey witout a turbo
a car with the right intake , and exhaust should have better milage than a car
in the same class that jus came from the showroom floor
but can still go a little faster lol

so thats
1 tuning cars
0 factory

Spudboy 09-26-2006 07:15 PM

I am one of those +45 guys... but I DO own wrenches and have some money. Being older and wiser with 'the need for speed' I realize there is a HUGE difference between being able to afford a trophy car that sits in the garage except on sunday around town 'show-off' drives, and an affordable car that you actually take to the track and scare yourself with. I prefer being scared, therefore can only afford my (I'm the original owner) 1988 Turbo Supra.

I agree with what somebody said in this forum about 'why have a car you don't drive properly'.

Many of us old timers waste money on cars they can barley afford, let alone afford to take it to the track for fear of scraching it, wrecking it while insurance wont cover track accidents, or breaking something you can't fix yourself because you dont have wrenches or time because you work to many hours to afford the payment.

On my first track day I realized there are plenty of people of all ages that DO 'get it'. Some of them started out in more expensive cars and realized you can have much more fun with an affordable car like a Miata or something. The fun is in making you the driver, max out whatever car you have. I found very few big ego's on the track...just humble car enthusiasts going as fast as they can in what they have. Even the ones with bigger budgets and better cars are just like all the rest on track. Having a blast.

If I had an extra 200k I might buy a 2007 Supra for the track. I don't so I will continue to race my 1988 until I hit the lottery.

"If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough."

(I am No. 124, gray 1988 Supra)
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...lowPaddock.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...kLotusfest.jpg

Supra2NR 09-27-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

I am one of those +45 guys... but I DO own wrenches and have some money.
no, i wasnt pointing at 45+ guys,
i was aiming at arrogant bastards
that only thinks
that the one with the biggest wallet can go the fastest

and i was jus bitchin about the direction the car industry is going
"cars losing thier soul,
all show no go cars
the damn "paddle shifter" it should be called paddle SHITTER"
cuz you can take one while youre shifting
cuz it takes little or no focus at all

and youre right
pple should buy cars to drive them
not the car dictating the driver what to do

Isphius 09-27-2006 12:11 PM

Spudboy..since your the original owner...How was it owning that car in 1988? I always wondered what that would have been like. Owning my n/a in 1986. Cause it was faster than a lot of modern cars, let alone 1986 cars. Did you ever race anyone when you bought it? lol. the turbo supra in 87 was more expensive than the vette, and a little faster too i think. I thought that was cool. I think the ultimate car to have back then would have been a 911 turbo with its 5 sec 0-60 and 13 sec quarters, But who could afford one of those lol. Even the 944 turbo would have been pretty BA on the streets in the 80s. Andf so this post is on topic... The supra looks bettre than the new skiline, And any supra looks better than the respective year/generation of skyline. haha. That would be my determinging factor in buying one

Spudboy 09-27-2006 01:00 PM

Isphius - It was nice having that car in 1988. It was one of the fastest cars available at the time. It also was very tight, well appointed with all the cool features, very ahead of it's time. I did race a few people on the street and won. Raced a few in the mountains reaching speeds over 100 mph, I was scared after each race realizing what a stupid thing that was. DON'T push the limits on the street. I know that makes me sound like your father talking but think about it. On a track there is usually not much to hit, no cliffs to fly off, no on-coming traffic, and usually no idiot drivers. On the track you can REALLY push the limits and it's the most fun you'll ever have. The car was expensive for me at the time, close to 30k which in 1988 was probably like 50k 2006 dollars. For the money at that time it was the best car you could get. The vettes and camaro's back then pretty much sucked. Cheap rattle traps. US cars were still recovering from the late '70's piece of shit stage. I would love a new Z06 today but I have 2 kids I want to help through college first. (I still don't think very much of US cars except the new Vette)

Supra2NR - I was NOT insulted by your +45 comment. I aggree, more of us should work on our own cars. Unfortunatly many of us old guys get into the work too much trap and don't take time to smell the roses or get grease on our hands. Don't pass judgement on everybody that drives an expensive car as being an arrogant basstard that doesn't appreciate the car. Sure, there are some that are, but who cares about them. There are many that are true car enthusiasts like you and me. They just have more money or spend everything they do have on the car.

I noticed when I went to the track with my Supra for the first time that the track was the great equallizer/humbler. Even guys with killer fast and expensive cars understood the rewarding experience we ALL were having, no matter what we were driving. There was no arrogance in and around the track between drivers...only respect.
As to paddle shifters...I would take them in a heartbeat. Anything to improve my lap times. Sure, nothing like grabbing gears on the stick, but new technology can be good and is certainly a fact of life. But don't worry, our cars are almost old enough for the Classic Car Racing circuit. But I think maybe those guys are too careful. Because..."If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough"

burton51m 09-28-2006 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spudboy
Isphius - It was nice having that car in 1988. It was one of the fastest cars available at the time. It also was very tight, well appointed with all the cool features, very ahead of it's time. I did race a few people on the street and won. Raced a few in the mountains reaching speeds over 100 mph, I was scared after each race realizing what a stupid thing that was. DON'T push the limits on the street. I know that makes me sound like your father talking but think about it. On a track there is usually not much to hit, no cliffs to fly off, no on-coming traffic, and usually no idiot drivers. On the track you can REALLY push the limits and it's the most fun you'll ever have. The car was expensive for me at the time, close to 30k which in 1988 was probably like 50k 2006 dollars. For the money at that time it was the best car you could get. The vettes and camaro's back then pretty much sucked. Cheap rattle traps. US cars were still recovering from the late '70's piece of shit stage. I would love a new Z06 today but I have 2 kids I want to help through college first. (I still don't think very much of US cars except the new Vette)

thats cool....

i compare my 91 supra to my friends 91 firebird and notice all the technology is ahead of its time also. cd player, climate control, security alarm, mirror defogger, TEMS, power seats with lumbar control. and it looks ALOT newer....all the gauges and dash ...everything.

Spudboy 09-28-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burton51m
thats cool....

i compare my 91 supra to my friends 91 firebird and notice all the technology is ahead of its time also. cd player, climate control, security alarm, mirror defogger, TEMS, power seats with lumbar control. and it looks ALOT newer....all the gauges and dash ...everything.

Being ahead of it's time and well constructed is why I still have mine. I had kinda lost interest in mine and once it blew a head gasket, and the quotes I was getting to fix it, I almost gave it up. Then I started looking around at new sport type cars (this was all between 2001 and 2003) and realized how much I would need to spend to get something as nice as my 1988 Supra. I fixed the head gasket, got quality fresh original paint, a few other miner things and she's good as new, and now a unique ride as I don't see many on the street anymore, let alone clean like many of ours. (nice one burton!)

THEN...after racing go-karts for the last 4 years I decided to switch my racing budget to the Supra and start doing all the work (wrenching) on it myself. Nothing real serious yet and I don't think I will go too far with mods. Suspension so far is a HUGE improvement (TEIN Flex), next will be proper race tires and wheels (an extra set just for the track) then more HP without getting into engine internals, and I'm keeping all the stock parts in case when I'm 100 years old I want to restore it for a show car and stop racing it.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...AfterTEIN2.jpg

Isphius 09-28-2006 03:06 PM

When did they start selling turbo kits and stuff for the supras? i could imagine it being a pain in the ass to find parts for it untill like the 90s haha.

j3pz 09-28-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isphius
When did they start selling turbo kits and stuff for the supras? i could imagine it being a pain in the ass to find parts for it untill like the 90s haha.

i cant see them selling many parts untill the late 90s. its still hard to find parts. most people are just trying to get them running right.

ya i when i talk about the mk3 to my friends i always say it(technology of the car) was way before its time. i mean they come standard power everything. whenever someone goes to get in and i unlock the doors they sit outside waiting for me to unlock their door. i mean its not a big deal but i just think its funny.

Spudboy 09-28-2006 11:31 PM

There is not a huge market for parts on Supra's because they don't break!
The few stock things I have needed (head gasket, EGR gasket, muffler, seat belt harness bolt..) I have had no problem ordering through a Toyota dealer, even in the last few years.

I do find mod aftermarket parts harder to come by and usually only in the high-end stuff, which maybe is OK so we don't put BS lowering kits and megaphone useless exhaust pipes like you can get for may current 'rice burners'.

tone loc 09-28-2006 11:40 PM

true man mine supra is 20 years young and the only parts i needed so far are some new fasners and im doing a manual swap. and my moms car is a 97 rav4 over 100000 and the only problem was a broken exhaust bracket($5.00 part)

Spudboy 09-29-2006 12:37 AM

Got my '88 Supra in November 1987. Also had a 1986ish Jeep Cheroke...it was always in the shop. Had kids and got a 1990 GMC Safari (AWD for some respect) It was in the shop 7 or 8 times in the first year...still no problem with the Supra and never in the shop. Had that van until 1998, probably in the shop AT LEAST 20 times. About 1998 at around 50k miles on the Supra need the first brakes (pads all around, new front rotors) First time in the shop. (Funny 'cause the mechanic said needed new front rotors 'cause they can not be turned again. I told him they had NEVER been turned, he tried to argue until I told him I was the original owner. He still sold me rotors...maybe I really didn't need them.)
1998 traded the van for a GMC Jimmy (my brother sells GMC so I get good deals) Had that 2 years, too small and only in the shop a few times...still a few times more than the Supra.
2000 traded the Jimmy for another new 2000 Safari AWD. Still have it but it's been in the shop about 6 or 7 times, all warranty work on trans, computers, electrical, little plastic parts break, window motor, on and on and on...

Last year the wife wanted a new car. Sorry bro, but I'm done with US cars. We live in the mountains so AWD is good for the snow and ice. The natural choice was the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT. (She wouldn't go for the STi)
This Legacy is like an STi for grown-ups...quick little bastard. Turbo 250 HP, 0-60 in about 5.5 sec. Can't wait til she wants to give it up so it can be my Ralley car.
To date on the Supra, after 19 years and 69k miles, the brakes once and head gasket once have been the only shop visits. I expect to start going through breaks on the track so I'll be upgrading those after I wear these out.

And by the way...so far so good on the Subaru. No shop visits after 16 months and about 14k miles. American cars are usually on a first name bases with the dealership mechanic by now.

Isphius 09-30-2006 05:50 AM

Haha, Yeah, I had my n/a for one year, and it broke no times. lol. I just needed to replace the thermostat once because it got stuck like half open. It took the motor forever to warm up (like 15 minutes of driving, it was cold out) And it got warmer and warmer after it was up to temperature. But otherwise it gave me no problems other than things the previous owner messed up swapping the motor.

WiseAssJester 10-22-2006 09:13 PM

The magazine I just read not but a week ago had the new American Skyline listed as having a V6.

As is the G35 and the 350Z.. just thought I'd get that out there since the first page had a lot of argueing on inline 6 vs V8 and so forth.

Supra2NR 10-25-2006 03:12 PM

yea its the vq 3.5 v6
the g35 , 350z, and the new skyline all share the same stinkin engine

smoo215 10-25-2006 08:02 PM

If that ride has a v8 i will be more interested. If not, I will probably still b interested. The only thing that will make me upset will b if these cars cost more than 45K. If so, I will wait and snag one once they drop n value and parts r available off the shelf like the mkiii. But, think this way, those mkivs prices will drop like flys when the new supra hits the streets. More for me. :)

Ahmad88 10-26-2006 02:55 PM

i wonder how mean the skyline would be with a twin turboed V8

Supra2NR 10-26-2006 11:18 PM

it'll be jus like the new benzes
they have v8 - v12 twin turboed cars
also with all-wheel drive

Isphius 10-27-2006 03:52 PM

The reason mercedes has those turbos is because the mountains and stuff in europe make it neccesary. They also make 590lbft of torque at 1800 rpm out of that v12. So its not like the twin turbo idea your thinking of, like on the mk4. They probably use little tiny turbos for the engine size to make that torque. Lots of european cars have turbos or SCs for those 2 reasons. Drive a turbo jetta or golf, And youll see what I mean. They have so much torque its crazy, well for being 4 cylinders.

palmerawesome 11-04-2006 09:47 PM

i'm glad to see we are all in agreement =)

i agree with everything you guys have said!

but toyota on the other hands have gottne a little horny, off the idea of having v8 in their line up, and thus have lost the true essence of the car.
correct me if i'm wrong but small block v8's manage to stay a little cooler than a big 6 right? is that why the skyline devolpment team has put so much time into keeping the car cool?

another thing, the mkV is not that hot i'm sorry but the mkIV's have a beautiful design that is ageless, i would be plenty happy with a supra that looked like an mkIV with the fortune 03' body kit from vielside =D

ok ok last thing if the skyline does end up kiking the mkV's but then maybe toyota will be forced to make an mkVI! and if i was in charge of toyota my MKVI would be a
4.5L V6 sequentially twin turbo charged
i'd call it the 3JZ-GTTE and it would look like just like a mkIV with the fortune 03' body kit from veilside

Thats My MKVI ^:bow:

Supra2NR 11-05-2006 04:05 PM

what about a quad-turbo v8
with a 6.0 displament
and a turbo for every two cylinders
basically a twin on each side
thats my idea of a 4jz-gtttte lol

(i kno its jus gte but its more fun this way)

or u kno what, why not go crazy
why not put two inline-6 engines together
that way your gonna have a v12
do the quad turbo idea
so it'll have a turbo for every 3 cylinders
how much horses do u think something like that can produce?

Spudboy 11-06-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isphius
The reason mercedes has those turbos is because the mountains and stuff in europe make it neccesary. They also make 590lbft of torque at 1800 rpm out of that v12. So its not like the twin turbo idea your thinking of, like on the mk4. They probably use little tiny turbos for the engine size to make that torque. Lots of european cars have turbos or SCs for those 2 reasons. Drive a turbo jetta or golf, And youll see what I mean. They have so much torque its crazy, well for being 4 cylinders.

Are these Mercedes you speak of really Turbo? Or are they Supercharged?
I know Mercedes has typically done Superchargers which, of course, kick in at much lower RPM. Just curious because I have not seen Turbo Mercedes...but I am no expert.

Supra2NR 11-07-2006 11:22 PM

i believe the new sl500 is a good example
its have a v8 twin-turboed engine producing around 500 hps stock

Spudboy 11-07-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra2NR
i believe the new sl500 is a good example
its have a v8 twin-turboed engine producing around 500 hps stock

Do you have a link I can see this sl500 turbo at?
I see the sl500 is being replaced in 2007 by SL550 non-turbo/non-supercharged or the SL55 AMG Supercharged...never any mention of Turbo?