Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > The Future of the Toyota Supra

Old 09-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #11
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Another thing, For the rich older people who mostly can afford these cars, and a lot of other people, There not gona crank their cars up to 4k rpms and above to get power out of them. They want to step on the gas and have the car accelerate, fast. Somethign hard with a turbo. Thats why BMWs, Benzs, Caddilacs, All have large high torque motors. And I dont know why everyone is so against the supra having a v8. Sure, The straight 6 is cool, But whats the difference? It makes power, Wheter it be turbo or not. And, point of view dependant, Big powerful N/A motors are a lot more pleasureable to drive. Anywhere the tach is, Hit the gas, Get stuffed into the seat. But at other times the "rush" of the turbo is also fun. But people dont feel like having to plan on accelerating and keeping the motor at 4k rpms and the turbo spooled. Thats probably why they are probably making it n/a.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Seifer
Stock

Seifer is on a distinguished road

I remember finding a site saying that they were going to put two different engines in the supra, a v6 putting out 350hp For the convertible version and a v8 for the hard top. Sounds a lil sketch to me but who knows? Nothing, even the existence of the car is for sure right now.
Seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:49 AM   #13
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i do not like how toyota is making this crappy supra, i mean look at the 08 skyline GT-R, its inline 6 twin turbo with 480hp,
dont tell me youre talking about the r35?
Quote:
if i had a choice between the new skyline and the supra, i would go for the skyline cause not only is it powerful and sweet lookin, but im a skyline fan myself and i would spend all day and night studying it and learning every aspec about it
i was too, till they became sell-outs, and i dunt mean money wise
Quote:
i am glad that the Skyline is going stick to its roots.
stickin to its roots? what are you talking about
the new skyline doesnt even have the rb26dett
it doesnt have the inline 6
and the car doesnt look like it can take abuse
the car has lost its legendary engine
the skyline jus has a glorified vq 3.5 engine with twins
its the same powerplant with the g35, and the 350z
its not unique anymore

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #14
Isphius
500whp yet?

Ill just not ever be able to afford either of these cars so I dont have much of an opinion. But I think the skyline looks a lot more like the old skyline than the supras do. I still think they should have kept the celica and supra big and little cousins. It would be better if they kept it in its mk3 market among the rx7 and mustangs and camaros and stuff, Instead of trying to move it up a notch to the all-out sports car class, Even tho mazda did with the rx7. Dont even get me started on the rx8...But It would be cool if they made the supra affordable again, in the 25-35K range, Instead of trying to make it compete in the super sports car market. Then more supra fans would actually buy them, And theyd be in the hands of those who would really appreciate the car. And i still wouldnt mind it having a dohc v8
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #15
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Quote:
Then more supra fans would actually buy them, And theyd be in the hands of those who would really appreciate the car
exactly, thats a beautiful point
these car were meant to be taken care of
but not get lockd up in a damn garage, jus to only see the light of day in a sunday morning cruise,
i think if the car can talk, it'll bitch about not being driven
i mean, it was design to racing conditions
why not take advantage of it?
most of the engine designs now are becoming more mod-friendly
so why not mod it?
why more pple care about the value of the car rather than the performance?

but all we can do is hope for the best when it comes to these new designs/models

our generation of driving is passing
soon pple are gonna be wusses, dont even know how to drive a stick
all they're gonna have is a Pussy-Ass Paddle Shifter
whats so hard about stepping on the clutch
isnt the heel-and-toe, one of the main basics of driving?
wussap with that?
well good luck wit em, hope thier right leg grows bigger than the left lol

Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Isphius
500whp yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2NR
well good luck wit em, hope thier right leg grows bigger than the left lol
that made me lol, haha. And thanks for the vote. The only thing people care about now is the EPA mpg rating. Like the gas is gonna cost more than your full coverage insurance and your big ass monthly payments when you go buy a new car. But im one to talk, that was one of the main reasons I bought my mr2 lol. But not cause i wana save gas overall, I just dont like wasting my pocket money on something that just gets turned into gasses and I never see it again. The real top 3 reasons were good on gas, reliable and low miles, and very very fun to drive. haha.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #17
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

cuz basically this is what pple that's not in the know think

they think, spending thousands of dollars tuning and modding old car
are more costly than the cost of ownership of new cars

well in turn, a finely tuned car, will have better reliability in the long run
with better internals, better plugs, pipes, hoses,and the other good stuff

and hey witout a turbo
a car with the right intake , and exhaust should have better milage than a car
in the same class that jus came from the showroom floor
but can still go a little faster lol

so thats
1 tuning cars
0 factory

Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

I am one of those +45 guys... but I DO own wrenches and have some money. Being older and wiser with 'the need for speed' I realize there is a HUGE difference between being able to afford a trophy car that sits in the garage except on sunday around town 'show-off' drives, and an affordable car that you actually take to the track and scare yourself with. I prefer being scared, therefore can only afford my (I'm the original owner) 1988 Turbo Supra.

I agree with what somebody said in this forum about 'why have a car you don't drive properly'.

Many of us old timers waste money on cars they can barley afford, let alone afford to take it to the track for fear of scraching it, wrecking it while insurance wont cover track accidents, or breaking something you can't fix yourself because you dont have wrenches or time because you work to many hours to afford the payment.

On my first track day I realized there are plenty of people of all ages that DO 'get it'. Some of them started out in more expensive cars and realized you can have much more fun with an affordable car like a Miata or something. The fun is in making you the driver, max out whatever car you have. I found very few big ego's on the track...just humble car enthusiasts going as fast as they can in what they have. Even the ones with bigger budgets and better cars are just like all the rest on track. Having a blast.

If I had an extra 200k I might buy a 2007 Supra for the track. I don't so I will continue to race my 1988 until I hit the lottery.

"If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough."

(I am No. 124, gray 1988 Supra)

Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #19
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Quote:
I am one of those +45 guys... but I DO own wrenches and have some money.
no, i wasnt pointing at 45+ guys,
i was aiming at arrogant bastards
that only thinks
that the one with the biggest wallet can go the fastest

and i was jus bitchin about the direction the car industry is going
"cars losing thier soul,
all show no go cars
the damn "paddle shifter" it should be called paddle SHITTER"
cuz you can take one while youre shifting
cuz it takes little or no focus at all

and youre right
pple should buy cars to drive them
not the car dictating the driver what to do

Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
Isphius
500whp yet?

Spudboy..since your the original owner...How was it owning that car in 1988? I always wondered what that would have been like. Owning my n/a in 1986. Cause it was faster than a lot of modern cars, let alone 1986 cars. Did you ever race anyone when you bought it? lol. the turbo supra in 87 was more expensive than the vette, and a little faster too i think. I thought that was cool. I think the ultimate car to have back then would have been a 911 turbo with its 5 sec 0-60 and 13 sec quarters, But who could afford one of those lol. Even the 944 turbo would have been pretty BA on the streets in the 80s. Andf so this post is on topic... The supra looks bettre than the new skiline, And any supra looks better than the respective year/generation of skyline. haha. That would be my determinging factor in buying one