Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > The Future of the Toyota Supra

Old 07-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #91
mazola790
Stock

mazola790 is on a distinguished road
Default supra

Honestly most cars in the past decade have been from previous models untill they quit them. The new supra does resemble the last one if you took off the spoiler, added the new headlights, and tossed in some new body lines. To me it looks identical to a g35 except for the face lift. Its nice to have more rectractable hardtops coming out, thats one thing i wish the solsitce or sky had. The xlr is so nice with it.

The supra looks to resemble on length n dimension ways as the new lexus coupe. which makes complete sense being the old ones did and saves them money. The lines are different but im sure its on the same platform, will it share the same drivetrain?(prob not but who knows)

A v-8 in a toyota can you say somethings messed up. I like it but honestly the supra is compared to the viper in almost all ways and better at the end because it is lighter.

Its not the size of the engine its how much it weighs n how much it produces. I'd much rather have a 6 that produces 500hp then a v-8 just bcuz of the weight difference.

I've been inticipating a new supra, this looks like it will be it, being the designs are much like the ones we have now. the 350z does share some of the same lines of the previous one as does this and i think the wheel base on this supra prob is the same as a g35.

I say buy a old supra(iv) in a couple years, fix it up, put a ab FLUG S900 supra kit on it and forget about this new crap. Ya its nice but its nothing different, theres no real distinctive lines to it just like the new eclipses, there nice n i bet have better handling then the previous ones but looks sell. dont believe me look at ford. Before them dodge would of never came back out with the challenger. (o ya i own a 70 challenger 440-500hp-fy1yellow and black stripes)

supras are there own species but they will never be in the league of lambos and ferraris becuz they get new designers just for the car itself. usually they pick some students that they like and go from that. Which, i wish more companies did instead of barely changing body styles ever so many years.

when lexus comes out with a 100K+ super car then i'll call them performance driven and maybe be up there with ferrari.
mazola790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #92
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

In all honesty, An aluminum ls1 v8 (5.7L) weighs more than a 7m motor, and probably the 2j beacuse there similar construction/materials. And an iron block 350 with aluminum heads weighs a tiny bit more than the 7m. Like 20 or 30 lbs. Not a big sacrifice for almost twice the displacement. Toyota 6s are fat motors. 2nd, The supra is generally a heavy car, And having the extra displacment would not hurt anything. I would like if mine had the neck snapping torque of a v8 when your putting along at 2000 rpms and want to accelerate without downshifting. Especially on the highway. I think whatever they give us, Is going to be well engineered and thought out and since the supra is their car, Even if they do something like put a v8 in, Its just the next step, I would not consider it "disgracing" the supra.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 AM   #93
mazola790
Stock

Default supra

well, if you have the stats or a page with the weight info i would like to see it. In most cases a 6 will weigh a lot less. Being a supra kicks the crap outta a viper, i'd much rather have a lighter car that redlines higher. I have not driven a supra so i do not know how big the engine is. I am plannin on getting one in the future and prob putting that bodykit on it when i get the funds. I got a challenger and it all depends on many aspects on your car. The differential, depending on your gearing. The torque converter, and your tranny. I had a 2500 stall conv in mine n under 10k miles it went out, so i dont know what happened there but 300 bucks and still needed a new one bcuz they wouldnt stand by it. Ya i would like to see u get the top speed and the torque out of a v-8. to get really good 1/4 mile times you need your car geared for it or putting out a ton of hp. In the end of any car its all about how much you invest but a lighter car will be able to handle way better, and do more track work then just a dragger.

as for the v-8 its a interesting touch but in most cars it all depends on the pricing on selling a car. the caddy xlr is a beautiful car but too over priced, the chevy ssr was over priced for a truck and look how its discontinued now. the supra has always been a rare car and im sure it will stay that way but like i stated it has no distinctive lines. to me it seems like a remoddled g35. Just like the new skyline im sure they'll change the production car a bit. if they dont i am thinking gm will be making a good run in the near future, sad they have to close all those plants tho. With todays gas prices i am still liking the lotus elise much better, only downer on that car is tall people gl on fitting in it.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #94
Isphius
500whp yet?

I have handled all the above motors(350, ls1, 7m), So i know from experience. The straight 6s blocks are not light. And have you ever taken apart a motor? tell me how much 2 pistons and con rods weigh. 5 or 6 lbs? Just becasue the v8s are bigger doesnt mean they weigh more. It is actually physically smaller and has a lot less parts than the 7m motor. After all, Displacement is empty space. And where do you get v8s dont have enough torque or top speed...It is way cheaper and easier to build a v8 motor and car to handle it than a supra. I stand buy that american cars and motors can not be beat for the price/ease of build. And the supra (mk3 or mk4) is not a light car persay...the mk3s are 3400 or more and the mk4 is 3100. A stock mustang GT(the 5.0 kind) is only 2800 lbs. And the camaro of those same years is only about 3000. I dont know about the viper, but who cares about those. They are just overpriced/rated
Old 07-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #95
mazola790
Stock

well right now i am so pissed i just wrote a long ass thing but it got erased. o well here goes it again. I am 22, i own a 70 challenger (440) and a 56 pontiac custom conv with a 350. my dad owns a couple mopars, one 4-spd 69' conv roadrunner that might be 1 on 1 being hes the original owner n its headrest delete.

I dont know you or what you know it sounds like you know a lot about engines, or just have taken apart acouple and assume you do. to your statement yes i have its kind of hard not to when you own classics. Do i build them on a regular basis no.

Right now im going to school for autobody. And will be building my own garage full of cars very soon. as stated b4 hopefully a abflug supra :-)

I agree with you on the v-8's being cheap and getting good torque. however try fitting tubing on a v-8 for a turbo. its not easy on most newer cars. thats why v-6's are popular. and ANY ricer will tell you a single turbo is better then a tt. from anything i have ever read anything above a v-8 basically needs a tt. Personally i'd rather have a turbo over supercharging and many other people are starting to realize that. If you dont know theres now crank driven superchargers. goto superchargerstore.com and you can see. Thats about as sick hp as you can get on a car and gl on doing anything other then straight aways with it.

V-8's do produce good torque i never said they didnt, but if i wanted torque i'd go get a turbo diseal.

I was just stating what people should know is that turbos put out the best high end top speeds.a 5.0 mustang is how small ya of course it weighs nothing :-p. But how many 5.0's are out there i know a couple right by me. personally id rather have a 5.0 then that new crap supra.

If i was to spend the money i'd get a 33 ford alloway. that supra just looks too much like the newer cars, tell me it doesnt look like the same wheelbase as a g35. I never judge a book by itscover i could be wrong n the day i see it on the road I might change my mind but pictures tell a thousand words.

I'll say it once and again. its how much you put into a car(invest) to get what you want. Sooner or later another car will be faster then the other and drag cars are much different then track but with a turbo you at least can drive it to more places then here n there. track cars and drag cars are completely different
Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #96
Isphius
500whp yet?

They sound like some nice cars. I have an 85 monte carlo and an 86 supra atm and hope to own more in the future...lol. I was just arguing my point as to why it would be beneficial to put a v8 in the supra. Nothing personal. And ive actually seen a mk3 supra with a 350, with two garett t3 turbos(the kind from turbo saabs and thunderbirds). It doesnt look easy to fit, but it does. Ill try to find the website. I think it is just way easier to use 2 turbos on a v motor, than plumbing exhaust headers all to one side. Like the grand national. It looks like a PITA to work on. The turbo is right there in front of the motor tho, Like where the alternator would be on a v8. Easy to see and reach.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #97
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

i have a friend who has a single turbo 5.0 he just built. he was getting it tuned when it blew a hg. i dont know how big it was but the turbo was a good sized one and was located i guess where the air filter would have been(looking in the engine bay from front, lower left). i didnt get to look at the piping cause of all the poeple around it and him trying to start it. any ways it is possible, if i get a chance ill take a pic and post it up.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #98
Ediseye
Stock

Ediseye is on a distinguished road

Hello.

Well, if I can get this new Supra in a V8 with a twin turbo design, I might just have to buy one no matter what!

Seriously though, if there is no turbo involved, I don't think I am going to buy one...Turbo says it all when it comes to a Toyota Supra.

If they are going to bring it back, bring it back in how the Supra owners want it.......with plenty of speed and turbo!

Thank you.

*Edit*

Just found out that it will come in a V8 option but to me, 50,000 dollars is a bit to expensive for the highest performance model. I was hoping for something around 40,000 dollars instead.

Also, it's too bad that they won't be having the straight 6 in the V6 models (As far as I know). But, you can't have a straight 8 so it'll be 4 and 4.

I still want it to be turbo! At least one...but I want twin turbo!

Last edited by Ediseye; 07-28-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Ediseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 AM   #99
Isphius
500whp yet?

Its still going to be 450 hp(130 more than the mk4)....ever ride in an NA car with that much power? no spool, no turbo rush....just your head stuck to the seat and a nice gut churning feeling from when you first hit the gas till you let off. A turbo v8 model would be nice tho
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #100
Ediseye
Stock

Ediseye is on a distinguished road

Hello.

Well, that is very nice to hear that it will be 450 hp with a V8 motor.

But, I still would like to see some kind of turbo in it; weather it be regular turbo or twin turbo, it doesn't matter to me. I just want some kind of turbo!

Anyway, I think if they end up lowering the price of it a little, I might try to pick one up...I can't resist the Supra and I'm so gald that they're bringing it back!

Thank you.
Ediseye is offline   Reply With Quote