Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Supra Specific > Shops & Part Reviews

Old 09-18-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
disturbednitehawk
Stock

disturbednitehawk is on a distinguished road

hey,im new to this forum and to the car world..this will be my first modded car.. im about to get a 98 supra or a rx-7 but im leaning towards the supra (hot car) and i want it at least 800 hp..1000 will be GREAT! so..do anyone know the parts i could get to get started on my way to 1000hp?

thanks in advance

Nitehawk
disturbednitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

well to be honest i don't anything really in modding mk4's...

i would say do the basics first...
exhaust
filter
intercooler
boost controller
decent blow off valve

then upgrade to a single turbo i think
fuel pressure regulator
aftermarket ecu

and well after that i wouldn't have a clue lol
try the mk4 guys on supraforums.com and see what ya can find there... i suggest you do a search first then post your question in case you repeat someone elses post... if you repeat posts the search police will be on you hehe

let me know how ya got on and what info they gave ya

good luck

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
ozsupra
3" Exhaust

ozsupra is on a distinguished road

if you are looking for 1000hp thats seriously a hell of a lot but just take a look at some of the other supras modified and talk to some import dealers in your area if you want to do it the quick way..........2JZ-GTTE......twin T78 turbos shall do the job :-)
Old 09-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
ozsupra
3" Exhaust

even if you drop a single T88 in there im not sure that will bring it to the 1000 or not but it shall do a pretty good job if it doesnt you have to make sure you do more than mod the engine though :-)
Old 09-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Mk2 TT
Stock

Mk2 TT is on a distinguished road

HAHAH 1000hp...T88 WOW u need like 7.1comp pistonz and if u want that u need to resleeve your engine make sure u get good head gaskits. and if u have a manual tranny ur ganna need a tranny that can handl 1000hp.......... man ur ganna need to do some MAD engine work befor u can get 1000hp....$$$$$$$$$
Mk2 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
disturbednitehawk
Stock

hummmm,yeah..i knew about the money thing..it'll take a few years or so to get it up to 1000hp..less i was a rich bastard..but then again if i was a rich bastard i'd get a saleen s7 or a lamborghini :lol: but thanks for the other forum link ya gave me..imma go do a search..(yeah..forum police,not good i did that on a motorcycle forum and they buried my ass in the ground :unsure: ) oh and thanks for the extra info there ..i'll post back on what i find out soon
Old 09-20-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
ozsupra
3" Exhaust

kool love to hear how you go and what you do :-)
Old 09-22-2004, 02:06 AM   #8
disturbednitehawk
Stock

If you want to run 1000hp, build the bottom end and the head. There is no reason not to. Sure a healthy stock bottom end will handle the power, but for durability built is best. Also I think 840fT lb's is the breaking point on stock rods.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
i agree with sssupra... build both bottom end and the head. PHR makes a head combo thats ported and has all new valve train. since you already have the crower parts though you might want to atleast port the head for better flow(it'll release alot of power)

as far as the bottom end goes, the crank should be fine. carillo rods are great,and i guess stock pistons would be ok... but for reliability issues, something like JUN pistons or JE pistons would be a better and overall cheaper route. also you should think about getting the ARP bolt kit for the engine. 1000rwhp is NOT cheap by anymeans. you can go cheap,spend tons fixing,and barely ever run it. or do it right, worry about it alot less, and usually make more power(aftermarket parts are usually lighter that the stock cast ones,which is less rotating mass: faster revs,more reliability)
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

It?s not my intention to get "cheap" power, as I?m sure that it doesn?t exist.

The better parts I use, the longer/better the engine will hold.

I know that....I had a high hp C5 Corvette.

I just don?t wanna change parts or use parts that are not worth it.

I would have no problem selling the crower springs, if there is a prooven good reason to use other springs.

I just try to find out what I really should change.

Lot of people say the stock toyota bearings are good for 1000+ rwhp, so why do others swear on the clevite bearings.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
remember bottom ends can handle so and so power but things change when you start bumping up the revs

stock toyota block can handle 900rwhp with lower revs (sub 8k) but if you start cranking them up to 10k you're going to have lots of problems no matter what kind of power you make; and for 1000rwhp, the turbo you will be running will need that kind of powerband headroom anyway

revs can kill almost any motor; no matter how much power it handles

Eventually I should take Chris (HPF) offer then, to get the crower stroler kit.
I know it can produce 1150 or so hp (rwhp?) on Supras without reving above 8k rpm.
Maby that's the way to go for me.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
ENGINE:
SP73 HO turbo .96 A/R
HKS GT manifold
HKS GT 60mm wastegate
Dual HKS SuperSequential BOVs
Blitz FMIC
K&N 9" cone filter
HKS 264 camshafts
Unorthodox cam gears
NGK 3330 spark plugs
TRD 1.3kg/cm2 radiator cap
TRD oil cap
Redline Water Wetter
Hardpipes.com radiator pipe
Custom Carbon Fiber Radiator Panel
HKS front pipe
Powerhouse 3.5" downpipe
HKS SuperDrager
IPT Motorsports Carbon Fiber Spark Plug Cover (NON "Bulged Vent" Version)
HKS SuperDrager
FUEL: PHR fuel system, modified by Sound Performance:
Dual fed rail
Twin in-tank MKIV pumps (on constant 12v)
RC Engineering 860cc injectors
Paxton FPR
Size -8 lines
ELECTRONICS:
AEM engine management system
GM intake airtemp sensor
Kavlico 5 BAR MAP sensor
FJO wideband w/ display
HKS Twin Power DLI
Sony MEX-5DI MP3/CD receiver
Clifford alarm system
INTERIOR:
Defi 52mm boost gauge
Defi 52mm EGT gauge
FJO wideband display (flush mounted below radio)
OEM Toyota Supra 2001 wheel w/ carbon fiber inserts
Razo titanium pedal kit
Sparco Milano's black/grey
carpeted back seat
DRIVETRAIN:
TRD Twin-Disc Clutch
BD Motorsports Short Shift Kit
SUSPENSION/BRAKES:
Tein HA standard coilover kit
TRD front strut bar
Cusco rear strut bar
TRD F/R sway bars
WHEELS/TIRES:
Braid Future Interlagos wheels: 18x10, 18x11.5
Bridgestone S02 285/30/18 (f)
BF Goodrich G-Force Drag Radial 315/30/18 ®
EXTERIOR:
Paul Whiffin Front Bumper
RMM rear wing
cut & rolled rear fender lips
limo tinted windows

1998 Supra Turbo Black/Black Targa, 6-Spd, 22K Miles, Highly Modified w/ SP73 HO turbo making 980HP & Much More--Immaculate & One of the nicest Supra Turbo's in the Country!!!

Vin No.: JT2DE82A1W1003105

1998 Supra Turbo Black/Black, 6-Speed, Targa, 22K Miles, SP 73mm High Output Turbo making 833 Rear Wheel HP (just under 1000 Horsepower at the flywheel
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
you should just put a supercharger on top of the V6 powerhouse the supra provides.. help emphasize the nice 3.5L engine, and then switch the twin turbos out for a single turbo with a .3 A/R. That should be good for around 1000rwhp and if you crank the boost up to race settings it'll be good for 1500rwhp on race gas. It cost about $3000 for all the parts to make it a full race setup. By the way how did you come into so much money to buy a supra and all those $3000 in mods?!

The Supra's VG35 can hold a TON of boost stock I was told by a reputable source (God himself. I heard he built these, so who better to ask, right?)

In order to reach those horsepower figures you mention he'll probably have to change the heads out for a set of AFR or Victor Jr's. I heard Edelbrock is making a CRAZY set of heads for these cars nowadays.

Those heads and a new cam should net him some numbers, maybe even above the 1000 horsepower low boost and 1500 horsepower high boost settings you mentioned above.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

I have a friend at the local parts store. I'll have him hook you up with the employee discount.I gotta help the guys who make this community so much better.

disturbednitehawk: One of the best sources of knowledge for Supras and making big power is xoom83, use AIM to talk to him on that name.

As long as you stick to the tried and true Edelbrock/Holley/Moroso combinations you will be making at least 1000HP. Maybe you should look into the AWD setups that the guys with 1000HP have done. That would help to make sure you don't get in the accidents.
hey nitehawk, this mod list will get you to 1000+rwhp and then some, it worked for me on my previous car. I'm surprised no one else has given you more direction, as the edelbrock heads are all hype.

Vone Pressure Conjuction Kit, (replaces the common BPU upgrade)

TB94e Turbocharger 12 trim (3.80 AR) Compressor P Trim (-6.58) Exhaust, be careful since anything above 3.80 is bad for the oil

KSH Racing Exhaust Manifold, remember to switch the gasket with the intake manifold gasket, they are the same but most people dont know this, every little bit helps

Standard 4.0mm Hexternal Wastegate 10.7 kg/cm2 with Wastegate Spring Outlet Dumped to Atmosphere (mega-loud and will scare any honda from miles away) It will make you run cleaner and the engine last longer

KSH, jdm 4' Downpipe (4' long, not 4" diameter, most newbies mess this up.

GT28/30 Turbo Heat Shield, dont wanna mess up that nice hood

Piper 800mm Exhaust

Super Sequential Blow Off Wastegate Valve

Electronic Valve Controller, makes it smoother and keeps the cams together better for more power

Super Gigaflo Air filter, tested and much much better than Fram stuff at Autozone

GTi-R Intercooler Upgrade

VDO 60mm Boost Meter, 60mm Peak/Hold EGT Meter ,60mm Peak/Hold Oil Press. Meter

Type-0 Turbo Timer, two in case you go twin turbos, thats all I can think of now.

With all of these upgrades you can run about 60psi of boost. and keep the EGR system in check. Just be careful about the intake welds, they can be reinforced by a local aluminum guy. Usual stuff.

Keep in mind alot of people dont know the stock fuel system is capable of this power level, you just gotta remove the VSV and EGR ecu's to make it possible. Some of the brands are easy to come by, dont let people put you down by getting the harder to find and more expensive JDM parts, they're worth it. Most guys around here have seen my old car in action. It was lovely, no traction until 5th gear, and it never spooled until 6000 rpm, it was lovely. Better than anything I have driven.

Damn, reminds me of the time we were rolling together and then an Integra flew by, then we were like, let's go, I think that was a chick. So we zoomed up to her spooling up to only 40psi, and then it's a guy with long hair driving that Integra. Then we were like no way, and like bounced. Good times.
yeah those Edelbrock heads are no joke! gotta get those definitely!

disturbednitehawk,
Make sure you get some high performance spark plug wires.. at least 20mm ones.. just call $uprastore and ask for it make sure its supra specific. Oh.. and for turbo i would go with the biggest T3/T4!!! and crank it up to 50psi.. guarantee 1000 fwhp !

Good Luck!
Screw the heads. I hooked up this Edelbrock carburator one time and ma rwhpowa curve got all hella smooth and shiznt
Man I've been DYING to get a set of those Edelbrock heads! Who's got the best price on those things? I want to bump up the compression a good bit too - THAT will make some serious power! I want some good roller rockers while I've got it opened up, should I goto a higher ratio? $uprastore will hook me up on all that right?

BLK,

I'm told the hot ticket is those Edelbrock heads mated to an HKS TWO POINT FOUR LITER destroker kit....makes dope-ass power, MUCH more than I'm making now. As soon as I sell this POS 3.4L, I'll be gettin' me one of those. HKS and Edelbrock....bad-ass combo. Reading this thread has really opened my eyes to all the possibilities. Thanks guys. Time for a sig change.
well, if you must have the edelbrock heads, you need the SRD intake manifold. Polished is always nice, CARB (street legal) too

Also make sure you get the 3mm Apex seals for our rotary and get a standalone ECU like Hondata! that way u can tune you car to 1000fwhp. Just call $uprastore they will be able to help you.

Swap in the 20BREW
Ceramic Apex Seals (4mm)
Bridgeported Block/Intake
Turbonetics Y2K turbo (they will tell you specs)
Motec ECU
HKS fully sequential clutchless tranny
Big ass Custom Spearco intercooler (they will tell you specs)
Methanol and an ass-load of boost
Old 09-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
disturbednitehawk
Stock

For that much power you are making... i would get some ultra wide tires. Get the new Nittos that just came out in size 445/100/ZR18 .. I heard great things about them! stick like a glue! Call tirerack and ask about them... they are on sale right now i think.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 AM   #10
ozsupra
3" Exhaust

sounds good well what i read of it..........i didnt have all day to read so i skim read :-) ill read it all some other time..........anyways is there a price tag that you know of??