Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 05-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
supersupra
3" Exhaust

supersupra is on a distinguished road

This is info on a new supra i found accidently, i dont know how trust worthy or anything so dont bother insulting me!
Rumors of a 500-hp supercar from Toyota have been floating about for the past year. One insider suggested the car wouldn't launch until Toyota's Formula 1 fortunes include some podium finishes. So, given last season's undistinguished F1 performances, the supercar may still be a way off. Nonetheless, Toyota crews were recently spied testing a prototype on the road.

From these images we can glean that the supercar will be Toyota's most outrageous project to date. Early reports suggested the car would be powered by a mid-engined, detuned version of the Formula 1 V-10. The latest intelligence indicates the engine will be mounted in front and will be a 4.5-liter V-10 jointly developed by Toyota and Yamaha. It won't be related to Toyota's F1 V-10.

The supercar's engine is expected to produce at least 480 horsepower, possibly even 500. One source hinted that the supercar may employ hybrid technology, which would boost fuel economy as well as torque, but we couldn't confirm that.

Problems can arise from such sleek, low-slung bodies, requiring some clever packaging solutions. Even experienced eyes have been stumped by spy photos that show insufficient front air intakes or cooling ducts necessary for a 500-hp engine. The absence of these items seems to indicate a rear-engine placement, but in fact, the engine is in front, and the radiators are in the rear fenders, just below the tacked-on taillights. Camouflage attempts to hide these ducts. These renderings show ducting up front, but we were told it will be for aerodynamics and brake cooling.

Just as Toyota is developing a supercar to take on the likes of Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Ferrari, and even the upcoming 450-hp Nissan Skyline GT-R, internal dissension threatens the existence of this project. One faction is concerned that a company so rooted in hybrid powertrains and fuel economy will damage its image by producing a ridiculously high-powered two-seat vehicle. The opposing faction welcomes the supercar but is hotly debating whether to use a high-output version of the 5.0-liter V-8 from the upcoming redesigned Lexus LS sedan or build the V-10. Arguably, the V-10 would give the supercar a bit more prestige and distinction, but a V-8 would cost less, perform similarly, and likely swill less fuel.

So we know there is a V-10 lurking under the hood of the prototypes, but will that change before the $100,000-to-$120,000 car goes on sale as early as 2006? One thing is certain: If the Toyota Formula 1 effort snatches a couple of victories, Toyota will want to celebrate in a big way. What could be better than a supercar?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
monkihead
SP58GT

monkihead is on a distinguished road

i dont personally like the idea of a production v10. my point of view is on the fact that they squeeze out every drop of energy and power from engines half the size of american counter parts. it would also become a supercar out of many peoples reach at 100-120g. just another unicorn to prance around like a ghost that never exists into most cities. i think that day the v10 shows up in a production supra, is the day shes blossomed and died.

monique- better off dead

monkihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

the one article i read said that they are building something to replace the supra, makes it sound to me that it isn't gonna be a supra. I think I would like the fact of it not being a supra. I like the fact that my friends are jealous cause they can't seem to find one, and when they do its already sold.
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
supersupra
3" Exhaust

completley agree monkihead, i dont know why they wanna do this, the reason why the supra never really went off is for price, now this
Old 05-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
monkihead
SP58GT

Quote:
Originally posted by KingDiamond@May 6 2005, 05:20 PM
the one article i read said that they are building something to replace the supra, makes it sound to me that it isn't gonna be a supra. I think I would like the fact of it not being a supra. I like the fact that my friends are jealous cause they can't seem to find one, and when they do its already sold.
around San Antonio its REALLY hard to find them. i make a risky trip when i bought mine. 3g and an 1 1/2 hr drive just to see it to take her home. i wanted it soo bad...now shes here with me

monique- better off dead

Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
supersupra
3" Exhaust

okay then nice fairy tale. but yes diamondking, the new supra is not going to be called the new supra, its something like 4500gt or something, really supercarish? :huh:

though what seems to be is that people and magazine people, think that there is going to be 2, yes 2, sport cars coming out, as there was 2 cars which were sport concepts

one came from toyota and the other lexus. i think lexus is going with the v10 because it is sorta american and the american market like BIGGER things????

Toyota of course i think have optioned and have the supra concept,but im not sure as to whether they will actually release this. But i'm almost defenetly sure about the lexus big V10 :angry:
Old 05-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
monkihead
SP58GT

its kinda strange they're bringing this out, since i heard they were discontinuing the celica...hmmm

monique- better off dead

Old 05-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
supersupra
3" Exhaust

yes this is true. the celica in america is discontinuing and there is no known replacement for this, this is the news for people in the states anyway. this also goes for the mr2. the reason for this is because they simply were unpopuler and weren't selling. :huh:

Though there well be a replacement for the mr2 although it kinda looks odd. it was seen going around nurburgring, and has flared guards to make it look wider, and it will still carry its 1.8 probably although it will be a hybrid engine (petrol/electric).it will still be quicker than the outgoing mr2 and should have more progrssive handling chracteristics than the current mr2, which is twithchy at the limit. It will also still be a soft top, to save on weight. I'm not sure if this will be coming to the usa but probably in most other markets where it still exists. Due late 2006 in Australia

i heard to dissapointing things about toyota lately.
1>They will make cars to attract, as their first priority, not quality said by the leader of toyota himself?????

2.>Toyota is going to make it's whole range hybrid. meaning no more killer pwer machines and extra weight. (but good for greenies like myself :lol:

Also i just found out that the new toyota supercar (aka lexus) is refered to as txs within toyota and is to capitilise on involvement in formula one hence its V10. around 5.4litres be good for 400kw and 500nm torque. tune maybe to 1300kg, similar to power to weight ratio of porches carrera gt B)

Any comments
Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
monkihead
SP58GT

d@mn...im going to have to fall in love with another car brand...

monique- better off dead

Old 05-15-2005, 05:33 AM   #10
supersupra
3" Exhaust

well thats to bad, just dont go converting to general motors or anything, cause they dont know how to make a good car (or one that goes longer than a mile without refueling :lol: )