Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Smile Let's Talk Tools

Every mechanic has them.
Some are old, some are new.
Some are common, some are rare, even "special".

I have a large collection, starting from when I was about 9, when I got my first go-cart. There are many brands in my rollaway(s). Craftsman, Sears, Proto, Blackhawk, and my prefered, Snap-on, Matco, Mac, and many specialized ones.
Meters and gages many I've made up to get the job done.

I recommend that you never sell or pawn your tools. They save you lots of $$$. They more than pay for themselves.

When I was facing a new job I hadn't done, and needed to buy a tool(s), I justified the expense by the fact that it would have cost as much or more to have it done at a shop.

I learned alot, built confidence in my skills, and filled my toolbox up with tools I would have ready to use again.

What about you?? What are your thoughts on this?? What brands do you prefer??
Old 01-05-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

I have used many tools as well. I have used all of what you have mentoned with the exception of proto.

IMO the best bang for the buck is craftsman. I have found that craftsman has actually worked better than some snap on tools and vice versa. Now of course the overall quality of snap on is better and nicer, but craftsman tools are usually 1-2bucks a piece whereas snapons are like 10bucks a piece.

I have mostly craftsman tools. I have a set of snap on 25pc metric wrench set, and a 44 pc ratchet and shallow and deep socket set wit standard and metric sizes. And thats about it for the snap on hand tools.

I have a snapon coolant pressure tester, and compression tester, fp tester and thats it.

And craftsman I have about 2000pcs of hand tools. And many air and power tools.

I think thats about it.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Smile A little info

And...Sears has those nice polished/chrome wrenches that are actually made at the plant/foundery that makes Matco tools. They are worth the extra $$. Lifetime warranty.

"Smooth" wrenches and ratchets and screwdriver handles save wear and tear on your hands. Also, I recommend bright handled screwdrivers because your less likely to forget them under the hood.

And I strongly recommend one or 2 of those magnetic dishes to set nuts and bolts in so they don't get lost.

If you, or your dad, or whoever, has a friend that has been a professional mechanic for a few years, ask them what hand tools they recommend you will need to get your toolbox started.

I still have my Craftsman rollaways sitting in the garage. They don't wear out. They do the job. The better ones have ball bearing slides in the drawers, and better wheels.

If your gonna do a lot of car work (or even some), get one of those red carts. It will come in very handy, and only cost about $50.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

O yeah I have seen the adds for those. I wanted some for christmas.

And your right, its easy to forget tools after you finish a job under the hood. I learned the hard way on this.

Yes those magnetic dishes and those long magnetic poles to pick up tools under the engine bay are very handy. Not to mention those magnetic driver peices that dont fall off when you are trying to drive a screw in.

And those crasftsman roll aways are awesome especially with the ball bearing droors. The hinges are ok but try putting a ton load of tools in a droor those hinges become a little problem.

And my cart is black. It is craftsman however its a bigger cart then you are referring too but its still very handy.

I hate working on a car and having to go back and forth to the roll aways. I like having a cart with the usual tools always handy right where I am at.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

we've got quite a range of tools that we use here

powerbuilt
aigo
superworks (cheap brand from a parts store)
snap on
good ol chinese spanners, forget the name of em hehe
ETC industrial
sidchrome
stanley

that's all i can think of at the mo
found that powerbuilt, aigo, snap on, etc, sidchrome, stanley are all of equal strength/quality when used in the correct manner

only reason we have to keep buying tools is coz ppl keep nicking ours lol

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
we've got quite a range of tools that we use here

powerbuilt
You guys have kragen over there?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

not that i've seen

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #8
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl
not that i've seen
Hmm.. thats wierd usually that brand comes form kragen auto. I forget the other store where theya re sold at.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

I use Husky tools, air and hand. Although Home Depot drastically cut down on in store stock. Probably cuz of theft... Never had a problem.

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:48 AM   #10
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnate
I use Husky tools, air and hand. Although Home Depot drastically cut down on in store stock. Probably cuz of theft... Never had a problem.
Yeah husky tools are usually used for construction but I hear they are very durable.