Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 12-31-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
SupraDietrich
Stock

SupraDietrich is on a distinguished road
Question A fair trade ?

Hey everyone, i don't know if you guys remember me but i'm the supra fan with the avenger lol, but yeah my friend scott owns an 87 turbo that's kicking out about 350 now *fuck yeah*, lol anyways, he just inherited a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI, 5spd turbo with almost 300km on it and he said he'd fix it up good before selling, now he's offering me a trade, straight trade, my 1995 auto dodge avenger with 201 000km on it for this eagle, and i wanted the opinion from a few good turbo lovers, any responce is appreciated, thanx guys, oh and if i do trade my car is worth around 5500 and not safetied, his talon is worth about 380 and also not safetied, lemme know what you guys think, he can get it safetied for me as well, your fellow tuner, Dieter
Old 12-31-2005, 04:17 AM   #2
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraDietrich
Hey everyone, i don't know if you guys remember me but i'm the supra fan with the avenger lol, but yeah my friend scott owns an 87 turbo that's kicking out about 350 now *---- yeah*, lol anyways, he just inherited a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI, 5spd turbo with almost 300km on it and he said he'd fix it up good before selling, now he's offering me a trade, straight trade, my 1995 auto dodge avenger with 201 000km on it for this eagle, and i wanted the opinion from a few good turbo lovers, any responce is appreciated, thanx guys, oh and if i do trade my car is worth around 5500 and not safetied, his talon is worth about 380 and also not safetied, lemme know what you guys think, he can get it safetied for me as well, your fellow tuner, Dieter
Umm its a mitsubishi man dont buy it hahaha. Jk, I do know that generation of mitsubishis have been very impresive on the drag strip. I guess its going to come down to how much you value your avenger. Do you have any pics of this talon? Is it in goood shape?
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

they all suck! get a supra... jk. any of those cars would be great. i cant say i know anything about the cars so i cant tell to go either way.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

well i don't know the conversion of km to miles, but if its high mileage i would stay away from the talon.
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Levi1717
3" Exhaust

Levi1717 is on a distinguished road

i've also heard that most of the engines in those talons can have crank walk.....which is a big problem and cost some money.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
SupraDietrich
Stock

hmmm, well thnks for the input guys, keep it coming, it's all helpfull, so far i've only heard (through my own research) that they have a timing belt problem and the fuel pump goes pretty quick, but both cheep fixes, iunno... i mean i want a standard pretty badley and if anyof you were trying to sell my car you'd maybe think again about this trade lol, nevermind that but it has been pretty difficult to sell, the last owner of my avenger was a well known asshole who abused the car, but i've fixed it up since i baught it and it hasn't shown any problems since i first picked it up, and it's great in the winter, which so is this talon appearantly which i really only plan to drive in the summer though, the insurance is about the same here in winnipeg manitoba... avenger = 97-98 a month, and the talon = 100-101 a month, also i've convinced my friend to get the talon prety much rebuilt, like he's replacing fuel lines, fuel pump, timing belt, timing belt cover (broke off when belt went), he's fixing the rust spots (very few), and he's also throwing his new BOV on there which he baught last summer and so it was only used about a week before winter, and man is it loud, MWAHAHAHA,,, anyways, yeah keep throwing in the info, thanx guys, ttyl, dieter

P.S. What's crank walk ???
Old 12-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraDietrich

P.S. What's crank walk ???
Crankwalk--if you are asking what that means--is when the crankshaft has forward to backward play (or side to side play in front wheel drive cars).
It is not supposed to have any noticable play at all.
Some manufacturers (like Mitsubishi especially) have this problem, while other companies' cars don't seem to be plagued with it.
And if I remember correctly, 3000GT's have that problem as well (which is also a Mitsu' car).
In some cases, the block can be damaged or the crank even.
You would test for this by seeing if the crank moves at all while the clutch pedal is being pushed in. It would take two people to do that test: one to push the clutch pedal and one to feel or see the crank pulley move or not move.
Motion on the crank's axis = crankwalk.

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
SupraDietrich
Stock

ya learn something new everyday, thanx a bunch for the awesome deffinition *thumbs up*, that's good to know, the talon is actually a TSI AWD though, so it's not front wheel drive alone, my car i should worry though i guess lol, it's a front wheel drive mitsu engine and tranny... hmmm, keep 'em comin' people, thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
DSM_owner
Stock

DSM_owner is on a distinguished road

You are perfectly safe from crankwalk on that 90 talon. Only the 95-99's were suseptable to crankwalk. If the talon has low miles i.e. under 120k and if it looked in good condition. i would go for it. If it has a lot of miles, i would expect thinks to be breaking and be prepared to fix it. Oh and AWD dsm's crankwalk too, not just fwd.
DSM_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
T is for TURBO
Stock

T is for TURBO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_owner
You are perfectly safe from crankwalk on that 90 talon. Only the 95-99's were suseptable to crankwalk. If the talon has low miles i.e. under 120k and if it looked in good condition. i would go for it. If it has a lot of miles, i would expect thinks to be breaking and be prepared to fix it. Oh and AWD dsm's crankwalk too, not just fwd.
actually anything after april of 92 has the 7 bolt, which is known to crankwalk. You are right though, its not just front wheel drive DSMs that get it, the AWD model can get it as well. However, crankwalk is overrated. Most people who claim to have a CWed motor, don't actually have crankwalk.
T is for TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote