Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 07-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road
Default My Absence...

As you may (or likely may not) have noticed I've been away from the forum for a while. Just for the one poor sad person who may have an interest in why that was, allow me to set the scene.

19th May 2010, approx 18:10hrs. Set off on my bike home from parents house 8 miles away, lovely warm spring evening thinks I, I'll go for a quick shower then off for a ride round see who's out.

approx 18:20hrs. Prat in BMW 318i turns across road in front of me leaving about 0.5seconds to hit the brakes & scream "OH SH*T!!!" before becoming airborne as the bike buries itself into the rear quarter of said prat's beemer at 50mph.

approx 18:21hrs. I'm lying in the road looking around & working out that I've been knocked off my bike, I look down and my right leg appears a little shorter & fatter than it should be.

approx 18:22hrs. Guy jumps out of BMW 318i saying (wait for it!!!!) "oh I'm really sorry mate, I just didn't see you"... . Says I, "Well that's all well and good, now could you call an ambulance as my leg is hanging off?"

Well the rest is all as you'd expect, police turn up and take statements, people start trying to drive round me 'cause it's THAT important to get home for the telly, adrenaline wears off, I start getting arsey with police 'cause it now hurts, a lot.
Then finally about half an hour later the ambulance arrives from the hospital that's only about 4miles down the road, I get some gas & air, scooped up & taken to A&E.

The upshot of all that lovely experience is they managed to save my lower right leg eventually after some concern about the blood supply being cut off for over an hour (it took them ages to sedate me enough for my calf muscles to relax & let them pull the bones roughly into line!) and on the evening of the 21st May they got the drills & hammers out & put my leg back together with steel bars & big screws.

So now, after 3 weeks in hospital I was allowed out & am now staying on a bed in my parents front room. Today is the first time I've been able to get upstairs (VERRRRRRRY slowly! ) so I thought I'd firstly bore you all to death with my previous 2months 4days & lastly implore every one on this forum to PLEASE keep an eye out for bikes, cause it bloody hurts when we meet, to say nothing of the potential damage to a poor innocent Supra!

Be back in the Supra soon with any luck eh...

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

If it'll post on here, this is my x-ray AFTER they spent some time with the traction machine & sedatives...

They never sent one of the finished job, but take it from me it's gonna be worth a fair bit at the scrapyard after I'm gone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Leg.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	3273  

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Good god! You're in worse shape than half the MKIII's on this site! I'm VERY glad to hear you're doing alright though, I know that's a LOT to cover from. I had a close friend get run over by a bus while riding his bicycle. All six wheels (well, 5 actually as the rear pair are doubles) on the right side of the bus went over both legs. They managed to save both legs and he can actually walk without crutches now... fortunately neither your nor his ankles or knees were destroyed.

I hope you're recovery is quick...

Now on the other hand... This is all a rather crap excuse for not being on much as I just happen to know you've now got a LOT of time to sit on your bum and surf the internet.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

Well yeah, got plennnnty time on me hands I'll say that. Still a pain in the ass (or should that be a pain in the leg?) getting up & down stairs though, replacement phone is just as bad for web access too but hopefully we'll be getting the laptop (I repaired an old acer with iffy TFT ribbons for something to do, by inserting cut & straightened elastic bands inside the frame to hold the ribbons in contact!) configured to access the same broadband account as the pc upstairs and THEN I should hopefully be on here as much as I've been hanging round facebook (which strangely does work on the phone)

There are some pretty ill MA70's about atm but I gotta agree most are in better shape than me, but as you said of me & the poor guy who got squashed by a bus at least the knees, ankles etc are in fair shape (they hammer the hell outta your knee when inserting a tibial nail though!) and if I'm really blatantly peed off at something then I can actually walk through the pain to correct what is annoying me (mainly no-win no-fee lawyer ads on TV, I KNOW I ALREADY HAVE ONE THANK YOU!!! haha) although for getting more than a few yards crutches are still needed for now.

I'm just waiting to hear how much I'm likely to get paid out for my little "mishap" before I can really start formulating a plan involving mbc's, bigger turbos & better injectors (well, I may as well hadn't I? She HAS just had the H/G sorted properly & I know the rest of the lump's freshly run-in so it's probably one of the more suitable 7M's for tuning...)

Or maybe I'll just blow it all on another bike... ...maybe...

Anyway, thanks cre for the well wishes & I hope to be back annoying people in a more full time capacity some time soon. just gotta work out how to configure this pos old laptop.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

jesus christ..

best wishes and god speed to a full recovery

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

Cheers, coming along now been walking a little bit with one crutch. Still not sorted that laptop but I can conquer Mt. Staircase a little better now hence my presence this afternoon.

Thanks.

Last edited by MA70-3.0GT; 08-04-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Well, despite what these other guys say, I'm glad that you're back and on the mend!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote