Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 11-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Jester
3" Exhaust

Jester is on a distinguished road

im Rob, im 16 live in Abington, Pennsylvania, and im tryin to get a job at EB Games but im lazy so i still havent applied yet
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

this is a good idea

i'm Suze 23, live in Auckland, New Zealand and i work at SS Performance (Supra Shop) we work on supras and stuff and we do audi's hehe....

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:26 AM   #3
Jester
3" Exhaust

u live in new zealand? thats crazy. i was talkin to my dad tonight about gettin a supra and hes like "no, i dont want you to get a sports car, because it will raise insurance real high" and i told him id pay for it and hes like "still no" i dont get my dad.....
Old 11-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

why is that crazy lol
for insurance for me here... $1500nzd bout $2500usd... full insurance... told them it will be severly modified (they said sweet), had driving charges and loss of license.. so not too bad i reckon considering...
just get it LOL

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Jester
3" Exhaust

i think i convinced him to let me get one... but it has to have under 50k miles (around 80k km), no turbo, and we have to buy it froma dealer, and it gotta be under 15k. so hopefully ill be able to find one. i know that i can get one imported from japan, but i think thats a waste, and it would take 6 months for it to get here so i gotta hope one shows up around here
Old 11-21-2004, 01:13 AM   #6
GOGS
Intake

GOGS is on a distinguished road

Hi im gogs 35-aberdeen scotland
1st car modded v8 vitesse rover [86].classic car insurance-?165full comp,window+break down cover .Body kit incl aerofoil +mustang rims [245s]with bonnet scoop.
supra has been said to be minimal extra costs since" second car."[not roaded yet though.]
ps though new to pc power ive worked in local garages, +vw,volvo,ford,
toyota,jaguar,mazda dealers h34r:
GOGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
extendor
Stock

extendor is on a distinguished road

Hi, just joined so I thought this was a good opportunity to add a few details. Have just bought a '91 Supra with turbo. I live in Devon (UK) but have crazy petrol head brother in Aukland - might meet up with some of you as he is dead envious of my new toy and may get one himself.

I can use a spanner and am keen to keep the Supra in top condition. Its had 5 owners and done 120K miles but sounds absolutely mint. Had no modifications (yet). The engine seems totally understressed and looks clean in the oil, water, around the pipes etc. However I am considering doing a metal HG from reading other posts.

Bodywork pretty good but leather interior has had a hard life. All in all, not a bad toy. At my age cheap to insure as well. Once you hit 40 its not what you drive but what you hit that counts as you can cause as much damage in a crappy family car as a red hot sports car.

Just out of interest how does insurance work elsewhere. For example we pay a premium based on experience, location and driver history. If you dont have any convictions or previous crashes and live in a nice area you pay peanuts. If you are young and have the usual convictions for speed carelessness etc then you can forget it. If you live in a crappy area and everyone is giving your car the eye for stealing then that is a big problem and you virtually have to bolt the car to the road when unattended as a condition of insurance.

Best regards
extendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Jester
3" Exhaust

it kinda works the same in the USA, you pay each months, and they decide your insurance on the type of car, any "modifications" will raise it, a turbo will raise it, statistically, 16-21 year old males have the highest accident rate, so their insurance is higher, if you take driver's ed. you get a discount, where you live affects it, previous experiance, and your school grade average
Old 11-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #9
extendor
Stock

extendor is on a distinguished road

Just read you post about driving at the age of 16. You are one lucky guy to get such a great car. We have similar conditions about insurance. For example my insurance is about $40US per month for comprehensive cover with no restrictions. If I was 17 the insurance would be $800US per month... That would still be cheap as I live in a good area. If I lived in London at 17, I could not get insured with a standard agent. As you say statistically the under 21 is very likely to have an accident. Over 25 it gets cheaper and over 40 it is best.

Just for interest we pay $7.5US per gallon for gas. I am not bullshitting. That is truth. Cars like the Supra are very cheap to buy because of the high cost of running them. Basically our government is anti fun. The more you modify a car the cheaper it gets to buy for the next owner - unless it is a real enthusiast. Why not have a look on www.ebay.co.uk and look for Supra. A good late Mk3 like mine will go for about $4000US and a average one for as little as $700US

The most expensive cars here are the tiny 60MPG family cars because they cost so little to insure and run. The way I see it I cant take it with me so I am going to have a blast while I can. The government can 'eat my shorts'.

I was curious as to why your grades would affect your ability to anticipate and coordinate and be a factor in your insurance. In my experience some of the worst drivers are egg heads and some of the best are real dead brains.
extendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
Jester
3" Exhaust

i think that i might have confused you in my previous post . i DONT have a supra, as a matter of fact, i dont have a car at all. I hope to get a supra as my first car, which would be awesome.

your insurance would be 800$ a month if you were 17????? over here it is like 1000$ per YEAR if you are 17. 7.50 $ for gas is insane over here it is like 2.05 for reg 2.08 for premium, and maybe 2.15 for supreme per gallon.

The more you modify the car over here, the higher you can sell it. there are some mk4's that are selling for around 30k beause they have exausts and kits. the most expensive cars over here are like lamborghinis and ferraris and porche etc all high performance cars. there is 1 porche model that is $1 million msrp

Insurance companies do everything by statistics, and i guess they say that people with a B average in school are less likeley to get into an accident, so it is cheaper the btter your grades are.