Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default BHG, how much?

If I do have a BHG, how much would a shop charge for the work? I busted my ass just changing the valve cover gaskets and plugs. I don't know if I want to jump into such a project. Anybody have a guesstimate as to what I'd have to spend. Remember, I don't have any friends in the business, but there is one fella I've dealt with who seems pretty straight up. So without a great discount, what's a ballpark figure for this work?

Scruff
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

More than your car is worth.

I have a complete break down of how much just the parts are in my sticky BHG post. I think it was around $700 not including the machine work. And that was with my 20% discount from toyota. A shop will probably charge anywhere from 10-15 hours of labor, maybe more if the exhaust manifold stud threads are stripped and they need to helicoil them. And they are not going to take their time and clean everything, they are going to do it as fast as they can since most techs get paid flat-rate. If you have even 1 ounce of love for your supra, take the insurance off your car and start the project yourself. It is probably one of the most satisfing experiences you can accomplish. Even more satisfing than an engine swap. Just make sure you invest in a very high quality torque wrench, I suggest a digital snap-on one, they are like $300 but worth every penny. And besides, even if you buy all the tools and parts you will still pay less than what a dealer or shop would charge, and you will know its done right and you will have those tools forever.

Or if you are scared, you can take it to a shop, just get ready to assume the position....
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #3
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

About $1600-$1900 to do it really right. Valve job included.

Last edited by mrnickleye; 04-13-2007 at 01:55 AM.
mrnickleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Wait, did you perform a block test yet?

Do that first then post your results.

If the test fluid turns any color other than staying dark blue (like green, blue/green) than you have a BHG.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default cost of BHG

First off, I do not need a metal headgasket, will that bring the price down? Also, I will change the oil this week, if I indeed have a BHG, will there be enough water for me to see, I mean like will it be obvious. If I do have a BHG, this car has to be one of the best running cars with a BHG on the road. Yesterday I was on the highway and had her up to 95. Then I had to get off in the city, stop and go, with no overheating. The only problem is that waterfall sound in the dash.

Scruff
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Theres only about a $100 difference between a MHG and a stock one.

Nope, you can have a BHG and no water or oil mixing. The most common BHG in a MK3 supra is combustion chamber to water passage. You need a oil passage to water passage leak for them to mix. I had a BHG yet my coolant and oil never mixed.

DO A BLOCK TEST!!! It is the only way you will know 100% if you have a BHG or not. Take that money you are going to buy the oil and filter with, and get yourself a block test kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffboy
If I do have a BHG, this car has to be one of the best running cars with a BHG on the road.
Haha! You sound just like me. I said those exact same words when I was in denial trying to convince myself I didn't have a BHG. My supra did 100mph on the highway with a BHG. The fact is, Mk3 supras will run a long time with a BHG without ANY symptoms. My car ran perfectly when I bought it, no overheating, no losing coolant. I found this site, and I did a block test just for peace of mind. My test fluid turned from blue to green. I showed a tech buddy of mine and he said, and I quote, "Yep, it's on its way". I was devestated. But I got over it. And sure enough, 6 months later it started overheating and blowing coolant out of the overflow bottle.

Please, for you own sake, just do a block test and then you will have solid proof its not a BHG, and then you can further diagnose your problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!!!

I went 3 months after adding stopleak. That was before I learned all the BHG info I know now. It ran great, and was still running great before I tore it down.

If it must be done, better to do it at your convinience than out on the road somewhere, with a tow truck involved.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
scruffboy
walbro fp

Unhappy Tryin to get kit

I have been calling NAPA stores all over NJ and people ask me "what's a block test kit". Only one guy knew what I wanted, but he said he only had the fluid, not the kit. The shop I go to quoted me 600 dollars to replace the HG, that sounds like a good deal, but I'm sure someone is going to burst my bubble and say "for that price you'll get a shitty job". I ain't lookin to boost horsepower down the road or anything, I just want something to drive that doesn't make me feel like an old geezer. Also, I think these cars should be kept on the road. I once had a '69 Camaro that I parted with, (new wife and all, now ex) and I still lose sleep over that one. I don't want to give up on this car. I've taken some financial hits lately (health), and that doesn't help matters, though by summer I should be in a better position.

Cryin in Jersey,

Scruffboy
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
IHateHacks
20psi boost

The part number for the kit is NAPA part # BK. 700-1006 Combustion Leak Block Tester. There has to be a NAPA store in your town, just walk in and tell the idiot behind the counter to order you part number BK. 700-1006. You don't even have to tell him what it is, just give him the part number and tell him to order it.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:19 AM   #10
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

Well, the book time for the BHG job (R&R head gasket, not machine shop work) is 9 hrs. 9x$75=$675 labor....plus parts.