Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 12-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #21
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter88
dont u think 800hp from a stock internal engine is abit bull? i mean that is way too much for a stock engine, wouldnt it be around 600 or 700?...
Actually, the 2jz-gte longblock (head+shortblock), totally bone-stock other than cams, has proven itself to reliably handle 850rwhp (1000hp at the crank). There are several examples over 800rwhp using a stock 2jz-gte on T04R.com, and other websites...here's just one:
http://www.t04r.com/member.php?show=marcus.frost

Also note that 850rwhp is nowhere near the max for the stock 2jz-gte, it's just the number that's often quoted as a max-with-reliability/longevity. However, almost 1100rwhp (almost 1300hp at the crank) has been produced on the dyno with a bone-stock 2jz-gte shortblock!

I agree that someone that hasn't heard about the 2jz-gte's capabilities might think that 800rwhp or even 800hp at the crank on a stock engine sounds like bull, but it really isn't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter88
...800hp is enough to run wat 10's?? if it were true than evryone would buy a supra with the 2JZ
Yep an 800hp Supra can easily run 10s with the right rims&tires, and a good driver. I'd have to guess that the 2jz-gte's capabilities are part of the reason that the MK4 Toyota Supra has kept such a high resale value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARZ
There are a surprising amount of 2JZ's running 800 rwhp on stock internals. But one little mistake at that level and they usually put it back together with Forged Pistons at the very least...
The mistake you're probably talking about is trying to run too much boost on pump gas...and yep that'll wreck any engine (no matter how much you spend on the internals). Properly tuned, and with a sufficient amount of octane in the tank, 800rwhp with a bone stock 2jz-gte is a walk in the park.

Sorry about the digression/thread-jacking ... to be honest I don't know much about the RB26DETT, but I have heard that it can't support anywhere near as much hp as the 2JZ-GTE in bone-stock form. Fully built, both the RB26DETT and the 2JZ-GTE are monster engines capable of 2000hp+. Fwiw, I agree with ARZ that the 2JZ-GTE has better support in the US...I'm not sure if that is also true in Australia though. My admittedly biased opinion is that a 2jz-gte would be the best choice.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-20-2006 at 01:46 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #22
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

lol. Its good the supra can make/take power that easily, Because it doesnt take 800hp to run 10 seconds, Only in a supra. I love these cars to death, But they are not drag racers. Any other lighter car or any car with a rear axle (ie, american) could run a 10 sec quarter mile with high 500s. Even the front wheel drivers (i hate these guys) are getting into the 8s and 9s with as little as 550 or 600. I dont mean to make fun of the supra though, I wish i had one
Old 12-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #23
Isphius
500whp yet?

And yes, the 2J is definatley a better motor. Nissan sucks balls. lol. My opinion is in no way biased.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isphius
...Because it doesnt take 800hp to run 10 seconds, Only in a supra...
? Fwiw, I've seen several ~600rwhp Mkivs in the 10s. Not sure what you mean...

Quote:
...I love these cars to death, But they are not drag racers. Any other lighter car or any car with a rear axle (ie, american) could run a 10 sec quarter mile with high 500s. Even the front wheel drivers (i hate these guys) are getting into the 8s and 9s with as little as 550 or 600. I dont mean to make fun of the supra though, I wish i had one
I agree that the Mkiv isn't the cheapest nor an optimal platform for drag racing, but how many other platform can run 9s, and then kick butt roadracing with nothing more than a tire swap & a few clicks on the coilover settings? "Any other lighter car"? Like a Miata? ...or maybe a Geo Metro? Rofl. j/k

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-21-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #25
Isphius
500whp yet?

Lol, I know what you mean, But so many people just think of the cars as drag cars, Which i totally think they are not. Im just tired of seeing mk4s and even 3s putting down 500 600 700 hp and then they just go out and try to drag race everything and everyone makes fun of them because they cant hook up and run 12 sec quarter miles with 130 mph trap speed, And then get our cars labled as dyno and trailer queens by everyone else. Ok im exhaggerating. But its the owners I dont like, never the cars. To me, Every car deserves a little respect, But not all owners. And I meant lighter cars like pretty much anything lol. Camaros, stangs, rx7s, 300zxs are even a little lighter. The weight makes them awesome daily driveable race cars, super stiff, comfortable, quiet, and just nice to drive. But doesnt help numbers much. lol.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #26
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Lol, I know what you mean, But so many people just think of the cars as drag cars, Which i totally think they are not. Im just tired of seeing mk4s and even 3s putting down 500 600 700 hp and then they just go out and try to drag race everything and everyone makes fun of them because they cant hook up and run 12 sec quarter miles with 130 mph trap speed, And then get our cars labled as dyno and trailer queens by everyone else.
True, but a LOT has been done in recent years to turn this around. For example, the Mkiv community has learned the hard way that you need drag-specialized rims& tires to hook up that 700+rwhp from a dead stop. Regardless of how well they handle in other circumstances, low-profile street/roadrace tires just don't get the job done on the dragstrip. Besides, let them think it's a rice-burnin' dyno queen that can't hook up...that makes it all the more sweet when we pocket their cash. lol

Quote:
...To me, Every car deserves a little respect, But not all owners...
Agreed.

Quote:
...And I meant lighter cars like pretty much anything lol. Camaros, stangs, rx7s, 300zxs are even a little lighter. The weight makes them awesome daily driveable race cars, super stiff, comfortable, quiet, and just nice to drive. But doesnt help numbers much. lol.
Hmmm
1993 300zx curb weight = 3533 lbs
1993 Supra TT curb weight = 3475 lbs

Also, 300zx isn't any more of a dragrace-optimal vehicle than the Mkiv Supra, imho.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-25-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:34 AM   #27
Isphius
500whp yet?

I meant the older 300zxs, But i see what you mean. I just wish i had a totally stock TT mk4 Id drive it everywhere. lol.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #28
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And yes, the 2J is definatley a better motor. Nissan sucks balls. lol. My opinion is in no way biased.
I'll pretend i didn't read this. Obviously your opinion is biased. Nissan does not suck. The 2J is not a better motor than the RB. It's just that there's more parts support for the 2J, because it's already here. The RB is a Japan only. If you want one, you have to get it shipped here, that includes any and all parts, from Japan.

By the way, did you own a few Nissan beaters in the past that blew up on you? Is that why you think they suck?

Any car sucks if you don't take care of it.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #29
Isphius
500whp yet?

Nope, Never owned a nissan. I just dont like them. So sorry to offend. And the biased opinion thing was sarcasm, hehe. We are on a toyota forum after all...